ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Mole conibear? #5014055
04/17/15 02:22 PM
04/17/15 02:22 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Has anyone ever though of one? It might be a stupid idea but they would be a whole lot easier to carry and set since hey would be so small. Feel free to tell me it's not a good idea I don't care if t not I just want to see everyone's opinion.

Last edited by Cole S; 04/17/15 02:23 PM.
Re: Mole conibear? [Re: Cole S] #5014062
04/17/15 02:29 PM
04/17/15 02:29 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
It would hard to clear it of obstructions and really,since Steve came up with his Trapline traps there isn't much need of a new design.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Mole conibear? [Re: Cole S] #5014100
04/17/15 02:55 PM
04/17/15 02:55 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Since there are already multiple mole traps that are body gripping in nature, the first question should be if there a market for something like this. Next, think of how a body gripping trap works. You have a set position and a fire position. The jaws move from the set position to the fired position by a spring. A good way to think about this would be to visualize a 110 in a muskrat tunnel. Things you'd need to think about include how big the tunnel is, how big the animal is, how much travel would be required by the spring and any obstructions that would interfere with the jaws closing and/or the spring expanding to its maximum size.

Having said all that, I'm going to go back to my first point with is there a market. If you would make one that has a center trigger, would be compact like 1 1/2" high by 3 or 4 inches long and have the spring in such a manner that it was not hindered by the ground and had the strength to hold a mole once triggered, I'd think there would be a market worth exploring.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Mole conibear? [Re: Cole S] #5014369
04/17/15 06:15 PM
04/17/15 06:15 PM
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
R
Ron Peters Offline
trapper
Ron Peters  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
just fabricate a small koro trap they are 3.5in long and 2in across

Re: Mole conibear? [Re: Eric Arnold] #5014389
04/17/15 06:33 PM
04/17/15 06:33 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: WCT
Since there are already multiple mole traps that are body gripping in nature, the first question should be if there a market for something like this. Next, think of how a body gripping trap works. You have a set position and a fire position. The jaws move from the set position to the fired position by a spring. A good way to think about this would be to visualize a 110 in a muskrat tunnel. Things you'd need to think about include how big the tunnel is, how big the animal is, how much travel would be required by the spring and any obstructions that would interfere with the jaws closing and/or the spring expanding to its maximum size.

Having said all that, I'm going to go back to my first point with is there a market. If you would make one that has a center trigger, would be compact like 1 1/2" high by 3 or 4 inches long and have the spring in such a manner that it was not hindered by the ground and had the strength to hold a mole once triggered, I'd think there would be a market worth exploring.
Thats what I'm talking about, maybe the spring goes straight up so you can just pack dirt around it and not have to dig extra for the springs if they were on the side.

Re: Mole conibear? [Re: Cole S] #5014473
04/17/15 07:42 PM
04/17/15 07:42 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
I have seen the round body grips the were 3.5 in. They should work for a mole if something did not keep them from going off.

Re: Mole conibear? [Re: Jim Bethell] #5014476
04/17/15 07:43 PM
04/17/15 07:43 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell
I have seen the round body grips the were 3.5 in. They should work for a mole if something did not keep them from going off.
They make them in 2.5 also, I think that would be better if they were used for moles.

Re: Mole conibear? [Re: Jim Bethell] #5015246
04/18/15 08:52 AM
04/18/15 08:52 AM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell

I was thinking a tiny body round body grip in the tunnel would work, you could have the spring up out of the ground to see if it's fired our not. On the downside all of the round body grips I've dealt with seem to trip just by looking at them. I don't know how you'd ever get it covered without firing it. In the time it took to finally get one set without firing, you could probably make three sets with Traplines or Oos's.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread