ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrel Question #5011654
04/16/15 12:42 AM
04/16/15 12:42 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I've been seeing a lot of questions from people that feel they need help catching squirrels. This is probably the one animal that

none of our guys seems to have trouble with. I noticed from pictures that a lot more bait is used than what we find necessary. Is

there a difference in squirrels in the southern states and up here? I'm thinking that squirrels in the south may be better fed than

our squirrels and consequently not as susceptible to bait. We have a harder time with lactating females too but we still catch them.

By looking at the pictures posted on here, I would guess you guys would put squirrels on the endangered list up here. Those are

some pretty good looking setups!

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5011822
04/16/15 08:17 AM
04/16/15 08:17 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Sir, I believe and this is just my opinion, a lot of folks take all the information they see on forums such as this one and try to apply too many methods and over complicate things. I use bait for squirrels because that's what I have success with and haven't had to do any crazy setups as talked about on forums, lmao. It's quite interesting as you implied at the setups some go through and all the extra materials used for some of these catches, when in reality if you take the time to understand the reasons why the animals are doing what they do, could cut your time on the job in half in most cases. There has been a couple jobs where I went against my better judgement and it bit me in the arse, but learned quickly and haven't made that mistake again. Good money in squirrel removals for the ones who get it, I know it is up this way.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5012002
04/16/15 10:59 AM
04/16/15 10:59 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
I use bait for squirrels because that's what I have success with...

Yep. It's just a matter of experience. I think when you're first learning to trap squirrels, you'll come across something that works. You then stick with it and perfect the technique. It's not that other techniques don't work, they do. This is just the one you've found that works for you.

Quote:
...in reality if you take the time to understand the reasons why the animals are doing what they do, could cut your time on the job in half in most cases.

Yep, and finding out just what they're doing is key. Figuring why they are doing it is a little harder. On every job I try to hang around until I find at least a couple of travel and escape routes. Like you say, it cuts the job time in half.

Quote:
Good money in squirrel removals for the ones who get it, I know it is up this way.

Yep. Around here, squirrels are the most common, destructive form of wildlife.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: sgs] #5012344
04/16/15 02:18 PM
04/16/15 02:18 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted By: sgs
Quote:
I use bait for squirrels because that's what I have success with...

Yep. It's just a matter of experience. I think when you're first learning to trap squirrels, you'll come across something that works. You then stick with it and perfect the technique. It's not that other techniques don't work, they do. This is just the one you've found that works for you.

Quote:
...in reality if you take the time to understand the reasons why the animals are doing what they do, could cut your time on the job in half in most cases.

Yep, and finding out just what they're doing is key. Figuring why they are doing it is a little harder. On every job I try to hang around until I find at least a couple of travel and escape routes. Like you say, it cuts the job time in half.

Quote:
Good money in squirrel removals for the ones who get it, I know it is up this way.

Yep. Around here, squirrels are the most common, destructive form of wildlife.

That's my logic, if it isn't broke don't fix it, plan of attack is to go with whats been working, the second set is to compensate the first if it fails. I like to be in and out on these jobs, for one the home owner is happy, you made money, and the home owner is happy to refer you to future clients. Nothing worse than being stuck on a job for a long period of time trying to figure out why you're not connecting with your target, mamma knows when you come home with holes in your pockets! Home owners don't want to hear excuses, they want you to alleviate their problems.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5012910
04/16/15 08:25 PM
04/16/15 08:25 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Figure out what works normally, then when it doesn't work, figure out how to force the squirrel into the trap.

Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5013566
04/17/15 08:54 AM
04/17/15 08:54 AM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
I will confess, I wish I was better. First getting started I tried the Tomahawk repeater and for some reason got a lot of refusals so now I am using a 5x5 or 6x6 Comstock. Refusals are gone but one at a time is so slow. Positive set sometimes can only get one trap over the hole. Time is money.

Bob Jansma
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5013610
04/17/15 09:20 AM
04/17/15 09:20 AM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
One thing I rarely see mentioned is a positive set with a nose cone and colony trap. I love them, why aren't they used more?

Last edited by G Hanold; 04/17/15 09:25 AM.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5013901
04/17/15 12:38 PM
04/17/15 12:38 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
G Hanold, that's what I was referring to. When I was getting started they didn't work that often. Are there times of the year a young squirrel won't lift the door and you have something else you use? Or are they your year round go to trap? What do you do for possible squirrels outside the structure? A couple baited sets as well?

Bob Jansma
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5014059
04/17/15 02:26 PM
04/17/15 02:26 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Pretty much all of my squirrel calls are in a structure. I can't think of the last call I've gotten for squirrels not in a attic. This is my go to trap. I've had instances where a squirrel has chewed a bigger gap rather than go into the colony and then that's when I go to a 110 mounted over the hole. Anytime they don't go into the colony I follow up with a 110.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5014121
04/17/15 03:17 PM
04/17/15 03:17 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Okay,... How would you do a positive set on this?

This was my solution.

The two traps on top are double door traps with bait. I've added bait to the colony trap just as an incentive. I didn't want to close it off completely with the colony trap as I know that most of the squirrels are out during the day. I didn't want to set it up in such a manner that it would exclude them from getting trapped as they tried to get back in.

But... apparently, as one looked for a way back in, he sprung one of the traps on top and I missed him. this morning, I found him looking down on me from the apex of the roof going, "Na nanny na na!" mad I may introduce him to Mister Pellet Rifle in the morning.

I've had them go around many of my baited cage traps to get snagged in a positive set with a conibear.

Notice in this photo how the squirrel went passed my cages to get snapped by a 110.

Very effective but only one at a time like this. I tried to set a colony trap there but the angle of the roof just kept the top door half open. Trouble is, if I lifted it level, I don't think the squirrel coming in would have gone in the trap.

I've still got a lot to learn.

Muddawg
Re: Squirrel Question [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5014715
04/17/15 09:41 PM
04/17/15 09:41 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
My son has a raccoon and squirrel job in the same subdivision that I'm trapping muskrats. So he asked me to pick up a raccoon for him

and I did. As long as I was there, I rebaited one of his squirrel traps. So far, I've caught three squirrels and he's caught zip.

When I told my lovely bride she said. "Well naturally squirrels are attracted to you. You're nuts!"

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread