ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Got a stubborn one #4997233
04/06/15 09:26 AM
04/06/15 09:26 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Ok people been hearing load thuds jumping rafter to rafter in attic. Did exterior inspection found cedar trees next to house for animal to climb. Found coon poop on roof found coon footprint on soffit next to downspout. Set two live traps by cedar trees. Two days nothing

So I look in attic All of the baffles for blown in insulation have been pulled down so I'm still think raccoon that is trying to get out. Put live trap in attic (baited with marshmallow and grape jelly). No catch. They still hear it every night. I'm thinking building a one way exclusion from a 36" trap connected to soffit (remove one section of aluminum soffit) going down to garage roof.

Any other thoughts would be great.

Note: I'm leaving town for three days so I want it out not captured at this point. Plan to leave exclusion until I return

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 04/06/15 09:29 AM.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997239
04/06/15 09:33 AM
04/06/15 09:33 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
There has to be a entrance somewhere!! You need
To find that first.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997253
04/06/15 09:45 AM
04/06/15 09:45 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
As Kasey stated, there either is an entrance or there isn't one. Do you have any trails in the attic or is it just that the baffles are down? Fallen baffles can be caused by multiple issues starting with bad installation. Also, don't rule out that the problem is ON the roof, not IN the attic. This is where you get back to the is there an entrance or not? We've had several cases where the "entrance" was hidden due to loose trim coil that would snap back in place once the coon passed through. When looking at it, it gave the appearance it was properly attached but when pushed on it was obvious that it wasn't.

If you can't find an entrance, I'd try using trail cameras in the attic and/or on the roof so you can see what is actually happening.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997282
04/06/15 10:03 AM
04/06/15 10:03 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Thanks for advice. As far as baffles. I'm quite sure it is from animal each one is only pulled down from one rafter and are cupped. A looked for loose siding soffit. Found none. The camera may be good idea. Question still remains in my head why nothing entered traps though.

I thought it may have entered through shower vent pipes but could find holes. No trails throughout attic. Very frustrating

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997399
04/06/15 11:38 AM
04/06/15 11:38 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
How big are your cage traps? Are they single or double doored? Are they pan or wire trigger?

How are you placing the bait? How is the trap faced for the approach?

Maybe pictures.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997437
04/06/15 12:28 PM
04/06/15 12:28 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
How old is the house? Ground entry, up a wall void? Down a chimney, through broken out bricks?
I had one earlier this year (and a few over the years), going into garage and climbing to soffet and entering attic.
Sometimes coons or skunk go into garage when door is open, then door is always closed locking them in.
If it's a sow w/pups, she may not leave them for two weeks or more. Keep looking for the entry.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Brian Mongeau] #4997462
04/06/15 12:48 PM
04/06/15 12:48 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Brian Mongeau
How old is the house? Ground entry, up a wall void? Down a chimney, through broken out bricks?
I had one earlier this year (and a few over the years), going into garage and climbing to soffet and entering attic.
Sometimes coons or skunk go into garage when door is open, then door is always closed locking them in.
If it's a sow w/pups, she may not leave them for two weeks or more. Keep looking for the entry.

The garage entry idea is where I was leaning as there is some insulation out of place there.

I've been think the exclusion may be bad if it goes out but has kits because it might tear its way back in. Going to set camera and see what's going on

Trap is one opening with pan. Bait on bottom and hanging in back of trap

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997547
04/06/15 01:59 PM
04/06/15 01:59 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
Do NOT do exclusion until you catch the coons. Find the entrance or entrances. They shouldn't be hard to find as they will be as big as a grapefruit. Get you self a good double door wire trigger trap and positive set over the hole. No bait needed.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Barehunter] #4997721
04/06/15 04:07 PM
04/06/15 04:07 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Barehunter
Do NOT do exclusion until you catch the coons. Find the entrance or entrances. They shouldn't be hard to find as they will be as big as a grapefruit. Get you self a good double door wire trigger trap and positive set over the hole. No bait needed.

The entry exit is what's difficult here. Lookin at all the baffles down and based on what the customer is hearing. It sounds like every night it goes from baffle to baffle trying to get out. They say some times it last all night others just for awhile others for a few hours

Going again tonight. Will look a little more. Am setting. A camera to see what we have

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 04/06/15 04:08 PM.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4999679
04/07/15 05:43 PM
04/07/15 05:43 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Many accesses that aren't visible. That last piece of soffit on dormers is never attached good and will drop down looking normal after entry/exit. Large aluminum triangular attic vents at the gable ends flex enough for raccoon entry and will snap back looking normal. Attic roof vents are often accessed with no overly visible damage. It's unlikely that it's trying to get out, because by this time it would have torn the house down to get out if it felt trapped.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4999880
04/07/15 07:35 PM
04/07/15 07:35 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Sounds to me like you are chasing a ghost. I am a builder and have dealt with all kinds of kritters in attics and walls. If there is no sign of entry and no disturbed insulation just the loose baffles just maybe there is no coon. With vented soffit the baffles that are loose can blow and make noise. It is suprising how loud it can seem in the still of night. If you have a coon trapped in a space it WILL go through the drywall into the house in short order. Coon are not graceful enough to jump rafter to rafter without disturbing anything. Coon noise would be scratching not thuds, Also if a coon was in the attic for any length of time it would stink like a den tree does. they are not as clean as made out to be. Just my oppinion and like I say I have seen a lot of wierd stuff.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5000059
04/07/15 09:08 PM
04/07/15 09:08 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I've found mammals with babies to be trap shy. Maybe she was caught before... Had to use a coni.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: EatenByLimestone] #5000343
04/07/15 11:38 PM
04/07/15 11:38 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
What everybody said especially eaten by limestone....I wish I knew who he really is...anyway you have to find the entry and set it. You can't do an exclusion or a one way door during the birthing season for obvious reasons. Put the trail camera up but there has to be an entry. Get a friendly nwco to have a look. Look low some of those nice looking beams are made like hollow trees you go in from the bottom and you have a 2x2 tree to climb to the attic..same with built out windows usually a product called "drivet" the bottom of thos prefab chimneys is a highway to the attic.
Look again and put the camera up.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5004307
04/10/15 08:38 PM
04/10/15 08:38 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Ok went back tonight reviewed 97 photos on trail cam. Traps set will capture soon. Taking wagers on what the photos revealed!

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5004915
04/11/15 10:09 AM
04/11/15 10:09 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Okay, I'm betting that the raccoon grabbed your camera and took a "selfie". It happens all the time.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5005204
04/11/15 02:52 PM
04/11/15 02:52 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Nope. Mice. 97 pics of mice. Then I touched the housing in the bath can. And the homeowner said that was the noise. Mystery solved

The funny thing is. I the photos this one mouse is so obese it's unreal

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 04/11/15 02:53 PM.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5005207
04/11/15 02:57 PM
04/11/15 02:57 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline
trapper
Cole S  Offline
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
In the photos this one mouse is so obese it's unreal
lets see pics of the mouse.

Re: Got a stubborn one [Re: Cole S] #5005540
04/11/15 08:24 PM
04/11/15 08:24 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Cole S
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
In the photos this one mouse is so obese it's unreal
lets see pics of the mouse.

Will try. They are on computer. I know how to from I phone. Not sure with computer yet

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread