ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Alternative soffit construction materials? #5003408
04/10/15 06:56 AM
04/10/15 06:56 AM
Lexington, KY
Tacoman Offline OP
trapper
Tacoman  Offline OP
trapper

Lexington, KY
Well I'm now full-time with my wildlife control business, staying busy, and while I enjoyed my time as a state agency biologist, I must say I'm finding this work much more fulfilling.

Anyway, I'm looking at the house below for squirrel issues.

There is a primary squirrel chew in through the soffit by the chimney high on the back side of the house, but the gutter cleaning and painting has not been kept up with leading to much of the soffits around the house being softened and likely needing replaced. I won't personally be rebuilding the soffits, but will likely make recommendations or sub someone to do this so it's done right to keep future squirrels out. If wood is the material we have to stick with then backing them with sheet metal may be what I recommend, but are there other materials out there that may better serve my purposes? Any concrete boards like I've seen siding made from that could be used in building soffits? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5003436
04/10/15 07:47 AM
04/10/15 07:47 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Cement board, vinyl lumber are options that will look like wood. I have been a contractor for a while so this is where I can really assist you guys. Keep in mind if you are going to sub this out, soffit replacement is expensive per linear foot It's not the material cost so much as it is labor. On average you can only work about 4-6 linear feet at a time and then you need to move ladder again. If you are only doing it in area of damage not so expensive Just keep that in mind. Sometimes you may be better off explaining that the soffit needs to be replaced and tell them to get the contractor. You won't then be accused of charging too much to the repair. More referrals for future work not worth the risk of being accused of that. JMO

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5003444
04/10/15 07:57 AM
04/10/15 07:57 AM
Luray,VA
M
Mike Hurley Offline
trapper
Mike Hurley  Offline
trapper
M

Luray,VA
Screw that man, give them a estimate, don't matter how much it cost, whats the difference if the estimate comes from the animal guy or a contractor?? They still have to spend the money, and you might as well get it!!!

Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5003445
04/10/15 07:59 AM
04/10/15 07:59 AM
Luray,VA
M
Mike Hurley Offline
trapper
Mike Hurley  Offline
trapper
M

Luray,VA
That house is high in the back, will take a bit to replace that soffit, make sure you price it for the time its going to take...Many Ladder moves!

Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5003649
04/10/15 11:45 AM
04/10/15 11:45 AM
Lexington, KY
Tacoman Offline OP
trapper
Tacoman  Offline OP
trapper

Lexington, KY
Good to know there are some cement board and vinyl lumber options, thanks! When you get up close a lot of the soffit is soft and rotted, much of the wood siding on the house needs replaced too.

Though I'm confident I'm capable of replacing soffit like this, I've never done it and don't think this is the house I want to learn on. The main reason I'm thinking sub is so I can directly explain the why of the materials and particulars regarding the squirrel issues to the contractor so the work can be done mindful of preventing future squirrel issues; and it of course means some profit for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I just tell him to have another contractor come in and do the soffits, the may just do traditional work without thinking of the wildlife issues at all and leave the guy with squirrel issues continuing in the new soffits.

Also, the homeowner told me during our first phone call that he knew he needed to have new soffits built, so he's well prepared for these expenses and I'm just wanting to help him be sure it's done right so future chew ins are less likely to occur.

Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5003828
04/10/15 01:59 PM
04/10/15 01:59 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Might be a bit of a hassle setting up, but I would rent scaffolding. Set it up and work in comfort, safety.
Yard looks level, what about a scissors high lift work deck(? name ?).

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5003883
04/10/15 02:58 PM
04/10/15 02:58 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Check your local contractor regs. Simple repairs may not require a contractors license complete soffit replacement probably does.

[Linked Image]
Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5004117
04/10/15 06:11 PM
04/10/15 06:11 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Ok guys I understand the make more profit And I want to make sure it's done right stuff. But having been a full service remodeling contractor for many years, I will give some advise based on that

First that soffit replacement for that large house with the alternate materials is going to be over $10,000.00. Now you need to mark that up. So now $13,000. (If he gets another bud from a contractor you MAY look like you are gouging

If you do it yourself no ADC work for two weeks (if you don't quote it right you are in trouble here)

If you sub it and it goes bad. Your on the hook

I Michigan you HAVE to have a builders license for this even if you sub it out

If you do not know how to work with the products discussed you will pay a price for the education of learning on the job

Even as a builder I would only sub this if I had a long term relationship with someone I trusted in a job like that.

That's my two cents plus some

Just be careful if you decide to be responsible for it. You can always tell the homeowner to insist on non-wood materials. If he allows wood, more work for you later

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5005386
04/11/15 05:50 PM
04/11/15 05:50 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
pretty impressed with your ability to post pictures tacoman. I won't say your real name because a lot of people on here want to hide their identity :/I have to say this post and your writings I think you are going to do well in this business.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5005470
04/11/15 07:01 PM
04/11/15 07:01 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I'd rent a lift to do it. 2 guys in the bucket... 1 to hold the work and the other to screw it up. It would go fast.

Re: Alternative soffit construction materials? [Re: Tacoman] #5006055
04/12/15 08:22 AM
04/12/15 08:22 AM
Lexington, KY
Tacoman Offline OP
trapper
Tacoman  Offline OP
trapper

Lexington, KY
I appreciate all the insights; the homeowner will be back in town tomorrow and we'll discuss proceeding with this job.

Thanks Paul, you've been a major help to me in getting started! And no attempt to be incognito here, name is Chad Soard for anyone who'd like to know.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread