ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Star nose moles #5002684
04/09/15 04:02 PM
04/09/15 04:02 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
R

CT
Having trouble catching star nose moles on a few jobs this year. I usually use Steve's molinator traps and have no trouble at all, in fact I find star nose moles easy to catch as a norm. This year pretty much all the jobs I have with them the tunnels are completely under water, not half full as normal. The traps do not cover the whole tunnel, am having limited success angling the traps so they are used like a ramp. I have caught a few backwards seems like they used the trigger like a diving board. I have never tried the loop style traps, and wondering if anyone can recommend one that is small enough for star-nose? Better ideas also welcome:)

Been a strange year so far for me not one ground hog job yet usually swamped by now. Bats and moles are the two most common calls so far. Great being moles are my favorite and bats are the biggest money maker:)

Re: Star nose moles [Re: RF Wildlife] #5002702
04/09/15 04:14 PM
04/09/15 04:14 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Try importing a couple of samples from flatpacktrap.co.uk

You can set in fully flooded tunnels and still catch. I've done it a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of alot, though it surprises me each time.

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: Star nose moles [Re: RF Wildlife] #5002886
04/09/15 07:07 PM
04/09/15 07:07 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Cut thin strips of luan or 1/4 plywood the width of the tunnel 6" long. Open the runs by cutting out a sod piece. Press the luan strip into the bottom of the run below the tunnel level slightly. Set each trap on top of the piece of wood then replace the cut sod with the tunnel impression formed into the covering sod. Seal out all light and air flow.

If needed select a narrower run diameter or reform the tunnel by hand by placing a piece of short pipe to establish the diameter you wish to constrict the tunnel size to, forcing the animal to follow the flow and space you have established.

Re: Star nose moles [Re: RF Wildlife] #5003094
04/09/15 09:32 PM
04/09/15 09:32 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Whenever I have trouble with steve's traps I put out nomole traps. They don't need to be bedded.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread