ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) #4997407
04/06/15 11:48 AM
04/06/15 11:48 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Just got the phone call that the county drain commission. I had bid on two beaver projects and the awarded both to me. They also happened to be only a short 7 miles east of home and a addition 3 miles east from there So. 20 miles round trip on two beaver jobs

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997479
04/06/15 01:03 PM
04/06/15 01:03 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Congrats, hope it works out for you.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4997734
04/06/15 04:16 PM
04/06/15 04:16 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I think I got it not based on price but on my plan They have had others trap both areas for about 3 years and they said both others would catch 2-4 beavers at dam site and pack up. I wrote a detailed plan to trap not just near dam and not for just a few days. Would give details but if it doesn't work I don't want to look to much like a schmuck on here

If it works I will give all the details for any interested
Thx

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4998282
04/06/15 08:44 PM
04/06/15 08:44 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
You should give the details if,it works,or fails. The smart ones learn more from others failures than sucsess

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4998549
04/06/15 10:15 PM
04/06/15 10:15 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I will consider that! I probably should as many on here gave shared to help me and others. So I will explain it all at the end of my contract

Thx

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #4998867
04/07/15 06:51 AM
04/07/15 06:51 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Of course now you have everyone wondering about the details of your agreement. Most of the time I tell them they won't be billed until the job has been completed, the damming, cutting etc. has stopped, which means that the last beaver has either been caught or left because the rest of the family has been trapped, dams breeched, perhaps the lodge destroyed. With enough pressure a holdout may leave, but may also return later. I don't provide a time frame because an educated beaver, created or inherited, can be more than a handful, taking a lot of time waiting for the beaver to "cool down." Many days of consecutive trapping can be unrewarding.

You have alluded to the fact that you might expand your area. If they will go for that and it is allowable, going beyond the confines of the pond at the roadside where the problems are by removing additional beaver could help to slow their problems. Depending on the situation, I do ask about adjacent properties for access to eradicate as many beaver as possible in the same watershed and drainages.

Beaver can keep coming back, even if you have caught that family group. If the damming stops for weeks or months and new activity appears, its a new group. I used to believe that one trapping was good for a summer. Most of the time it is, until I had new beaver show up on a rainy summer 5 times at 2 locations.

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5002904
04/09/15 07:21 PM
04/09/15 07:21 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
What's the word?

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5003440
04/10/15 07:51 AM
04/10/15 07:51 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Just starting project today. Took my son to the cabins for part of spring break. Got back last night, I will keep posted. Will likely only set dam areas today. It is very windy today and not really wanting to take canoe out in it. Will do canoe work tomorrow

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5003472
04/10/15 08:34 AM
04/10/15 08:34 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I used to go to the beaver, but now bring the beaver to me, not much walking and only a little canoeing.

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Jim Comstock] #5004319
04/10/15 08:45 PM
04/10/15 08:45 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Jim Comstock
I used to go to the beaver, but now bring the beaver to me, not much walking and only a little canoeing.

All ideas welcome. One site has 3 foot wide x 18" high dam built in the cement culvert that drains the backwater of a 700 acre lake

The other has a dam inside the 4 foot steel culvert that goes under the road. It goes about 4" from the top of pipe. Water is over two feet higher than stream. Flooding woods and yards.

Doing canoe work tomorrow to find other slides and the lodges.

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5004862
04/11/15 09:25 AM
04/11/15 09:25 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
First check on these contracts went ok

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5005381
04/11/15 05:44 PM
04/11/15 05:44 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
As a matter of perspective, I used to find the lodge, check out each and every dam, look for everything, chews, crawl outs, walk the entire property, canoe etc. Now all I ask the client, do you have a main dam, if its a creek colony, which is usually a given because that's why they are calling, everything is flooded. Later they will frequently ask, "where is the lodge?" To which I often reply, "heck if I know." The main dam is the focal point, so the beaver will be there maintaining daily. Even with a plan, you will have to resort to secondary methods at times, but you'd be surprised how many jobs you finish without a lot of effort, scouting or travel.

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5005488
04/11/15 07:26 PM
04/11/15 07:26 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
I'm with Jim..I still run into cases where I find myself chasing Beaver...but for the most part ,it is easy enough to get them to come to you...

Joe Robidoux
Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5005539
04/11/15 08:22 PM
04/11/15 08:22 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Both dams are right at public roads (you know that means trapped beavers there will be seen). So I am doing first three days right at dams heavy because I will get there early morning. But am setting others away for road to pick them off there too. As the "repair crews" come and I catch one the others will get past that trap now (did this last night, as on was in a coni right in front of dam, the others just kept going right over its body and repaired dam (it was covered by sand from all of them crossing over it. The second catch at that sight hit a castor mound And a muskrat clogged up the other castor mound set

At other sight the dam is inside tube which I will not go in, dam is only inches from top now. So caught one in castor mound there. Canoed back into swamp there today (may have bad case of poison sumac now). Found and small dam back there and set it. Went further in and next good are has an otter toilet so I didn't set there. Don't want to get the otters

Thank guys all advise and ideas welcome. I will keep updated and will ask more questions as I weed them out

Thx

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5006266
04/12/15 11:46 AM
04/12/15 11:46 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Three more today. One belly bumped on #4 so I missed it another one on the far back dam I set yesterday pulled out. No fur so have no idea what happened there.

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5006595
04/12/15 05:35 PM
04/12/15 05:35 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Is your plan working out?

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5006629
04/12/15 06:04 PM
04/12/15 06:04 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
So far but it's only been two days. What I was getting at is if the proposed timeline, fees and conditions work out to be a profitable way to do beaver control as well as beat competitors with as far as being selected for contract

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 04/12/15 07:49 PM.

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5007338
04/13/15 08:21 AM
04/13/15 08:21 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I guess you really only need to catch one beaver at a location, the last one. Catching 2 to 4 beaver like the fellows you mentioned is more like fur trapping, not solving the problem. If any beaver remain you will get that nagging call, "they plugged up the hole you made in the dam." Most of the time you will know when you are done by remembering to put small boot holes in the dam, a pretty reliable indicator, which I sometimes forget. If active, and not during spring run off or after heavy rainy conditions, they will push fresh mud into the holes nightly. The only time you might have a remaining beaver that I can think of and it doesn't show is in June when there could be a pint size beaver or two left because they are only a few weeks old. At that size they don't usually do much plugging. Good idea making a small hole in a dam when you start and check each day while you trap so that after you have caught a bunch of beaver and you think you might be done, you will have a good idea when they are gone since the trickle will still be open and running.

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5007441
04/13/15 09:58 AM
04/13/15 09:58 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Jim, I've told this story before but it's funny enough to repeat. I was in waders standing behind the dam when I spied what I thought

was a large muskrat swimming upstream towards me. I was leaning on the dam and I froze in position. My muskrat turned out to be one

of those pint sized beavers. The little guy not only crawled over the dam but actually stepped right on my hand while scaling it. One

of the few times I didn't know what to do. Should I have tried to grab it by the tail? What are the chances that I would still have

all ten fingers? What would you guys have done?

Re: Just awarded 1st beaver contract(s) [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5007636
04/13/15 12:55 PM
04/13/15 12:55 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
You can pick them up any way you like, no problem. Those little guys are like live Beany Babies, could not be cuter. They will not bite. You can hold them under the arms. I caught 5 in my hands again last year. Fun to chase them down, they can't stay under long. Ran 3 out of a house at one location, the other 2 were next to the big male caught in a cage, just sitting on the bank. Nabbed them as the went by.

In Virginia in the 70's we ran 6 beaver into a 200 Northwoods Conibear in 45 minutes, dispatched the big ones, turned the small ones out on the ice, chased them down later, about 15 pounds each. They didn't bite either, though that were not tiny. One nipped once. I had them in my shower for 3 nights. My friend Mickey was to keep them at his home. Told him on day 3, after absolutely no sleep with those three banging around, that they were going a board if he didn't take them, NOW. He did.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread