ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
tips on getting started #4991420
04/02/15 12:12 PM
04/02/15 12:12 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
I am 13 and am going to take the exam for my nuisance wildlife control license in a month or so and would like to know what I need to get started. I want to start with smaller animals squirrels possums raccoons etc. What is the best cage traps for the money that I could buy for those animals? I can sorta modify a cage trap my reinforcing the door and things like that. I have trapped some big coons that broke my cage trap 6-7 times then I reinforced the trap and I caught it.

Thanks

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4991453
04/02/15 12:44 PM
04/02/15 12:44 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Online content
trapper
NE Wildlife  Online Content
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
What state are you in? Should have that in
Your location. I would get a few more years of trapping
Under your belt first, And read read read.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: NE Wildlife] #4991459
04/02/15 12:54 PM
04/02/15 12:54 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: NE Wildlife
What state are you in? Should have that in
Your location. I would get a few more years of trapping
Under your belt first, And read read read.
Im in Ga. I had a pretty good season and wanted to try to do this for friends until I can drive. I have read lots about ADC trapping and have learned a good bit on here.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4991574
04/02/15 02:39 PM
04/02/15 02:39 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Go back in the archives and read about the live trap. Just stay away from the cheap ones. I think most everyone only uses traps from 4 different Co. once they get started. Always remember you get what you pay for. Instead of buying two junk traps when starting by one good one because it will last. JMO. Read,Read,Read.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: tips on getting started [Re: Getting There] #4991586
04/02/15 02:51 PM
04/02/15 02:51 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: Getting There
Go back in the archives and read about the live trap. Just stay away from the cheap ones. I think most everyone only uses traps from 4 different Co. once they get started. Always remember you get what you pay for. Instead of buying two junk traps when starting by one good one because it will last. JMO. Read,Read,Read.
Ive read through the archives a couple times but I will keep reading. Im thinking about getting repeating cage traps first because I have 1 small cage trap 1 big cage trap and 1 fox size cage trap.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4992391
04/02/15 11:08 PM
04/02/15 11:08 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I would be slow to buy things. Buy as you go and save the money until you need something. Youd be surprised how much stuff you think you "need" sits in the corner. Maybe, if you feel you should, or so you can practice more, buy another trap. I would get another coon size trap, that way you can use it for coon or skunk.

A big question is, do you want to be a TRAPPER or a WILDLIFE CONTROL OPERATOR, there is, as most of us learned by doing, a big difference. That difference will dictate what you buy.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Throw Back] #4992755
04/03/15 09:10 AM
04/03/15 09:10 AM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: Throw Back
I would be slow to buy things. Buy as you go and save the money until you need something. Youd be surprised how much stuff you think you "need" sits in the corner. Maybe, if you feel you should, or so you can practice more, buy another trap. I would get another coon size trap, that way you can use it for coon or skunk.

A big question is, do you want to be a TRAPPER or a WILDLIFE CONTROL OPERATOR, there is, as most of us learned by doing, a big difference. That difference will dictate what you buy.
Ok I will wait to buy traps I will need 1 or 2 smaller traps though. Skunks are very rare here so I won't need to worry about skunks.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4992935
04/03/15 11:29 AM
04/03/15 11:29 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I like it when the young guys get interested. smile

You have the right idea about starting trapping for friends but add family and neighbors in that as well. Get as much experience as you can.

My recommendation would be to buy traps one at a time from a company like http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/ That way you will be getting equipment that will work and last. Safeguard and Tomahawk would be my suggestion.

Since you like chipmunks, start there. Add squirrel traps as you can afford them. Add one or two raccoon sized cages when you can afford them and you will be good to go.

Try to keep your traps in use. Even if you are not getting paid the traps that are in the field and set will provide an education that can't be had any other way.

Don't let yourself get over worked or overwhelmed. Set your schedule to your interest level and enjoy the experience.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: sgs] #4993128
04/03/15 01:46 PM
04/03/15 01:46 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: sgs
I like it when the young guys get interested. smile

You have the right idea about starting trapping for friends but add family and neighbors in that as well. Get as much experience as you can.

My recommendation would be to buy traps one at a time from a company like http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/ That way you will be getting equipment that will work and last. Safeguard and Tomahawk would be my suggestion.

Since you like chipmunks, start there. Add squirrel traps as you can afford them. Add one or two raccoon sized cages when you can afford them and you will be good to go.

Try to keep your traps in use. Even if you are not getting paid the traps that are in the field and set will provide an education that can't be had any other way.

Don't let yourself get over worked or overwhelmed. Set you schedule to your interest level and enjoy the experience.
I will ask our neighbor because i saw a groundhog go into a hole in his yard a week ago. I would do it for family but they are in NH and Arizona. I will buy 1 or 2 traps after I get money from my first job. Thanks for the help everyone!

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4993511
04/03/15 07:39 PM
04/03/15 07:39 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Are u having anyone help like a parent or doing,it,on your own

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Throw Back] #4993560
04/03/15 08:07 PM
04/03/15 08:07 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Are u having anyone help like a parent or doing,it,on your own
I have a friend that doesn't know a lot about trapping but likes to hunt and fish he catches squirrels and coons in live traps in his yard and I told ill pay him if he helps me and gets me a job from a neighbor of his. My parents are supporting me but my dad doesn't really know how to trap and my mom doesn't hunt or anything. I have got lots of good advice from an experienced ADC trapper I think he's on here by the name of "barehunter".

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4993736
04/03/15 09:54 PM
04/03/15 09:54 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Just make sure you keep an adult like your in the loop on all jobs. Someone who can look for trouble and make sure you are being safe and that the jobs are safe.

Although I dont really like the "Per animal" method, you should do per animal due to experience, there is less pressure to perform, no one can be outraged by the price.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Throw Back] #4993747
04/03/15 09:59 PM
04/03/15 09:59 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Just make sure you keep an adult like your in the loop on all jobs. Someone who can look for trouble and make sure you are being safe and that the jobs are safe.

Although I dont really like the "Per animal" method, you should do per animal due to experience, there is less pressure to perform, no one can be outraged by the price.
ok I will do that. I'm only going to trap for people my family knows so making sure there isn't trouble isn't much of a problem.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4993859
04/03/15 11:28 PM
04/03/15 11:28 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I know, I know, I said dont buy gear until you need it. BUT

I recommend finding out if you have gophers or moles in your area. A couple reasons, they easy to trap, but not everyone knows how or will try. A lot of people will buy a coon trap throw some tuna in it and get a coon, not everyone feels comfortable prodding and finding underground tunnels. Second, its safer. No handling live animals, no roofs, no crawlspaces, just grass. It may not seem as glamorous as big coons, but its pretty good. Also, you want to trap for family and friends, That might be a dozen houses or so. You are really just hoping one out of them has an actual problem. Presence of animals like skunks, squirrels and coon is not a problem, but presence of moles and gophers is.

I have only trapped a few, but i like in the tunnel traps a lot more than any other. You will hear his name anytime people talk moles, Steve Albano makes great gopher and mole traps. traplineproducts.com. If for some reason you wanted to go with something else, Nomol mole traps are a little cheaper, and you can find Macabee gopher traps in most stores. In my opinion moles are great to start with.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Throw Back] #4994013
04/04/15 07:40 AM
04/04/15 07:40 AM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
I know, I know, I said dont buy gear until you need it. BUT

I recommend finding out if you have gophers or moles in your area. A couple reasons, they easy to trap, but not everyone knows how or will try. A lot of people will buy a coon trap throw some tuna in it and get a coon, not everyone feels comfortable prodding and finding underground tunnels. Second, its safer. No handling live animals, no roofs, no crawlspaces, just grass. It may not seem as glamorous as big coons, but its pretty good. Also, you want to trap for family and friends, That might be a dozen houses or so. You are really just hoping one out of them has an actual problem. Presence of animals like skunks, squirrels and coon is not a problem, but presence of moles and gophers is.

I have only trapped a few, but i like in the tunnel traps a lot more than any other. You will hear his name anytime people talk moles, Steve Albano makes great gopher and mole traps. traplineproducts.com. If for some reason you wanted to go with something else, Nomol mole traps are a little cheaper, and you can find Macabee gopher traps in most stores. In my opinion moles are great to start with.
Ok I will buy a few of those. It will be more then 12 people that I will tell because my mom was going to post it on Facebook so 25-35 people will know. I probably won't go on a roof if its steep to something like that but I will climb a not so steep roof because I have climbed on quite a few roofs before.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4994142
04/04/15 08:59 AM
04/04/15 08:59 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
First thing I would do is be very aware of your state wildlife laws as in what you can and can't do as a wo, make a list of questions you are unsure of and note them, ask the instructor who is giving the exam, they should be able to give you the answer on the spot. Although the internet has a lot of truth it's a double edged sword as well, nothing worse than gearing up for something and ready to execute, then run into legal problems. Wouldn't be a bad idea on seeking out a well known trapper with a good reputation who will be willing to mentor you as needed, help is always needed no one has all the answers and if they tell you they do their lying, I call them type of people "google posters". For a trap I'd recommend safeguard I find no problems with them at all, personally I like using single door rear release stock no mods and have no issues with multiple catches or coons unlatching the rear door like some people claim, and if it did ever happen it's nothing that a piece of wire couldn't fix, but it's preference. If you have the money to spend on 175 to 200 dollar cage traps a whack just starting out god bless ya. Famous quote "I'm not an expert but" It's a good idea to become well rounded in the whole "trade" but being efficient at them will greatly benefit you a lot more. This site is filled with good information and some good people. If you're planning on doing beaver work with hancock and Bailey traps be careful on buying used, some people swap out the springs for an inferior spring. I wish you success in your project.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: tips on getting started [Re: TDHP] #4994184
04/04/15 09:23 AM
04/04/15 09:23 AM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: TDHP
First thing I would do is be very aware of your state wildlife laws as in what you can and can't do as a wo, make a list of questions you are unsure of and note them, ask the instructor who is giving the exam, they should be able to give you the answer on the spot. Although the internet has a lot of truth it's a double edged sword as well, nothing worse than gearing up for something and ready to execute, then run into legal problems. Wouldn't be a bad idea on seeking out a well known trapper with a good reputation who will be willing to mentor you as needed, help is always needed no one has all the answers and if they tell you they do their lying, I call them type of people "google posters". For a trap I'd recommend safeguard I find no problems with them at all, personally I like using single door rear release stock no mods and have no issues with multiple catches or coons unlatching the rear door like some people claim, and if it did ever happen it's nothing that a piece of wire couldn't fix, but it's preference. If you have the money to spend on 175 to 200 dollar cage traps a whack just starting out god bless ya. Famous quote "I'm not an expert but" It's a good idea to become well rounded in the whole "trade" but being efficient at them will greatly benefit you a lot more. This site is filled with good information and some good people. If you're planning on doing beaver work with hancock and Bailey traps be careful on buying used, some people swap out the springs for an inferior spring. I wish you success in your project.
I will start to take notes as I think of a question to ask when I take my exam. I have an experienced ADC trapper telling me some things I need to make sure I do and don't do. I probably won't try to cage trap beavers unless I get the money to buy those traps.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #4994251
04/04/15 09:54 AM
04/04/15 09:54 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Yeah, the price for one is insane considering you can pick up a dozen of 330's for the price of one bailey. I'm not sure of your state laws but in mass most of the beaver work is done with permits using 330's the pro to a Bailey trap is, in some towns you aren't always able to obtain a permit for a 330 so live catch is needed. Most guys won't bother, that means there's room for you to make a little more money for whatever the reason. Just be sure you wear ya helmet when you first start using them, if ever.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: tips on getting started [Re: TDHP] #4994255
04/04/15 09:56 AM
04/04/15 09:56 AM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Yeah, the price for one is insane considering you can pick up a dozen of 330's for the price of one bailey. I'm not sure of your state laws but in mass most of the beaver work is done with permits using 330's the pro to a Bailey trap is, in some towns you aren't always able to obtain a permit for a 330 so live catch is needed. Most guys won't bother, that means there's room for you to make a little more money for whatever the reason. Just be sure you wear ya helmet when you first start using them, if ever.
I have 4 330s and their legal here so If I do have someone say they have a beaver problem ill trap but for now all I have is a friend that will pay me $25 a beaver if I set them but they will check them for me and keep the beaver frozen until I can come and get it.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001101
04/08/15 02:08 PM
04/08/15 02:08 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
I got four nomol traps today and set them in my front yard where there's lots of mole runs I set them on run that were by the feeding runs that twisted everywhere and the runs I set on we're long like a few or more yards long. Did I set them in the right spots? I saw lots of worms when I was digging to set the traps too.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001151
04/08/15 02:36 PM
04/08/15 02:36 PM
Southeast MO
T
Tylercraiglow Offline
trapper
Tylercraiglow  Offline
trapper
T

Southeast MO
Sounds like you got it.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001171
04/08/15 02:48 PM
04/08/15 02:48 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Ok thanks. I'm hoping to get the hang of this soon and buy more traps because four is nowhere near enough haha.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001246
04/08/15 03:35 PM
04/08/15 03:35 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
It is when the works not there, I'd let the job dictate when to buy traps unless you get an abundance of calls and absolutely need them, then I would buy. No sense in spending money when your not making any, figure your traps into your jobs, accumulating traps will come in time. You can have two dozen traps if you don't have the calls to put them on, it's wasted money.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: tips on getting started [Re: TDHP] #5001252
04/08/15 03:38 PM
04/08/15 03:38 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
It is when the works not there, I'd let the job dictate when to buy traps unless you get an abundance of calls and absolutely need them, then I would buy. No sense in spending money when your not making any, figure your traps into your jobs, accumulating traps will come in time. You can have two dozen traps if you don't have the calls to put them on, it's wasted money.
True, but that sonly 2 sets to make and now I have a few friends that I told will get thirty percent if they get a customer for me. So I will have jobs to do but I won't buy a few dozen traps just 1 dozen then wait until I get started.

Last edited by Cole S; 04/08/15 09:09 PM.
Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001631
04/08/15 08:08 PM
04/08/15 08:08 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
I would stick mostly with ground dwelling animals to start. Squirrels and raccoons require a lot of ladder work as a NWCO. Being you are from Georgia I believe you have Armadillos? If you can master those guys you will do well. Groundhogs are another animal that can be tough to master. Great to see someone your age with some drive, not just sitting around texting:) Check your laws also unfortunately uncle Sam frowns on anyone under 18 with a work ethic. You may have to be 18 to work for money legally. Sticking with friends and family should not be a problem, but unfortunately you never know who you can trust. If ever giving the chance get a summer job with someone in the construction industry (framer, Roofer) Knowledge of building construction is a must as a NWCO. I started part time and put 100% of my NWCO income back into the business prior to becoming a full time operator. If you have an MP 3 player download and listen to all the wildlife pro pod casts it is a well of knowledge.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001715
04/08/15 08:55 PM
04/08/15 08:55 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
RF, if I was aware of the under 18 law fifty six years ago, I would have had my old man thrown in the slammer. How come I get all the

good information way too late?

Re: tips on getting started [Re: RF Wildlife] #5001723
04/08/15 09:00 PM
04/08/15 09:00 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: RF Wildlife
I would stick mostly with ground dwelling animals to start. Squirrels and raccoons require a lot of ladder work as a NWCO. Being you are from Georgia I believe you have Armadillos? If you can master those guys you will do well. Groundhogs are another animal that can be tough to master. Great to see someone your age with some drive, not just sitting around texting:) Check your laws also unfortunately uncle Sam frowns on anyone under 18 with a work ethic. You may have to be 18 to work for money legally. Sticking with friends and family should not be a problem, but unfortunately you never know who you can trust. If ever giving the chance get a summer job with someone in the construction industry (framer, Roofer) Knowledge of building construction is a must as a NWCO. I started part time and put 100% of my NWCO income back into the business prior to becoming a full time operator. If you have an MP 3 player download and listen to all the wildlife pro pod casts it is a well of knowledge.
so even though I have a license I might not be able to trap for Money besides family and friends?

Last edited by Cole S; 04/08/15 09:00 PM.
Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001751
04/08/15 09:16 PM
04/08/15 09:16 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I wouldn't worry about it Cole. If you get stopped from working, you'll probably make the headlines in your local paper and have so

much business that you'll have to hire help.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5001762
04/08/15 09:22 PM
04/08/15 09:22 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I wouldn't worry about it Cole. If you get stopped from working, you'll probably make the headlines in your local paper and have so

much business that you'll have to hire help.
lol ok thanks. Is the ADC magazine going to get here next month?

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5001845
04/08/15 09:57 PM
04/08/15 09:57 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
Since you aren't an adult you can't enter into a legally binding contract which means you cant go out and get insurance. That hasn't stopped millions of kids from going out and becoming entrepreneurs and it shouldn't stop you either. It may stop some people from hiring you and it should probably stop you from taking some jobs.

I would just caution you to be careful. You would be doing your customers a disservice if you got hurt on their property.

Trap from the ground, don't even own a ladder until you can get insured. Just had an employee fall off a ladder couple of months ago. $55k in medical and six weeks off. I was insured and life goes on. You aren't able to have that protection.

Bob Jansma
Re: tips on getting started [Re: bjansma] #5001877
04/08/15 10:08 PM
04/08/15 10:08 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Originally Posted By: bjansma
Since you aren't an adult you can't enter into a legally binding contract which means you cant go out and get insurance. That hasn't stopped millions of kids from going out and becoming entrepreneurs and it shouldn't stop you either. It may stop some people from hiring you and it should probably stop you from taking some jobs.

I would just caution you to be careful. You would be doing your customers a disservice if you got hurt on their property.

Trap from the ground, don't even own a ladder until you can get insured. Just had an employee fall off a ladder couple of months ago. $55k in medical and six weeks off. I was insured and life goes on. You aren't able to have that protection.
I won't use ladders I told my dad I probably won't do ladders and he said " heck no you won't do ladders yet" lol but theres groundhogs moles chipmunks raccoons and possums in peoples trash squirrels that I can trap on the ground so I won't be at loss of jobs. Theres a big neighborhood across the street from my house so once I get experienced I will ask around there for jobs.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002029
04/09/15 12:07 AM
04/09/15 12:07 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
See, now we have two people who won't let a family member use a ladder. Cole's dad and my wife.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002044
04/09/15 12:43 AM
04/09/15 12:43 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Ladders are the most dangerous thing we do, and we all do some,things that can be considered dangerous. I had a dream I fell off a ladder just last night

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002045
04/09/15 12:44 AM
04/09/15 12:44 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Ladders are the most dangerous thing we do, and we all do some,things that can be considered dangerous. I had a dream I fell off a ladder just last night

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002074
04/09/15 02:26 AM
04/09/15 02:26 AM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
My advice, is to buy the best tools and traps you can afford. That way you only gotta buy them once and they'll repay you in the long run.

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002170
04/09/15 07:57 AM
04/09/15 07:57 AM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
thanks guys. Im going to buy traps as I get jobs and I will update how I do.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002216
04/09/15 08:29 AM
04/09/15 08:29 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Traps are of course the first line of defense, all important, not to be skimped on, but not a stand alone by any means. What is needed is a system, a plan of attack for skunks, squirrels, chucks, coon, armadillos etc. which means the type of traps required will be reflective of techniques employed. In a nutshell, baitless trapping with humane safe traps able to take animals coming and going, like body grippers in fur trapping, are at the heart of a successful ADC program.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002345
04/09/15 10:43 AM
04/09/15 10:43 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Along,with what Jim said is it comes down to YOU planning and knowing your area. I remember I bought the squirrel traps everyone advised me,here. 5x5x18. Good for Douglas and Fox,squirrels, but I have been Gerri,g refusals from our wester grey. Our grey squirrels are way bigger than the ones out east

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002366
04/09/15 11:05 AM
04/09/15 11:05 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Jim's post is very timely. We are putting together a presentation of our business and the high point of any program is always

pictures of animals. I was amazed at the number of pictures we have of different animals in Comstocks. Now I know we got into the

two-door trap business on the ground floor and that we have enough Comstocks to keep everyone happy, but never the less, our success

with the Comstock two-door cage is pretty darn good. I would suggest that as soon as economically possible, you new guys buy yourself

a 24 inch Comstock and go from there. I should also mention that I get absolutely nothing for recommending Jim's cages. ( We've never

even met )

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002660
04/09/15 03:34 PM
04/09/15 03:34 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Thanks for all the help guys! I don't know if you guys know bùt you all have helped a lot. I'm hoping to have my license in one or two weeks and will ask around for jobs once I get it.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002687
04/09/15 04:04 PM
04/09/15 04:04 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
One more question. I have enough money to buy 6 victor out o sight mole traps or I can buy 12 nomols but their the same price almost and I will be able to make 6 sets with both because with the nomols they go in the tunnel. so which ones should I buy?

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002698
04/09/15 04:12 PM
04/09/15 04:12 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Me, personally, I wouldn't go near no-moles.I've tried 'em, but they're not for me. I'm in the business to set traps as quick as possible to catch as many moles as possible.

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002746
04/09/15 04:44 PM
04/09/15 04:44 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Paul, I guess we could meet you, that is if you didn't keep dodging us at conventions. LOL Judy is getting a complex. Maybe we won't tip our hand if we're going to a convention, just sneak up on you.

For years I wrote articles and promoted what I believed to be the best equipment, always after using it myself so that what I put my name on was from my own experience, not hearsay or speculation. I never had any arrangements or wrote anything for compensation like Paul, but was more than happy with the satisfaction in knowing I had shared beneficial information about gear that would help others to succeed on their traplines. It was a no lose for the manufacturer as well as the readers who tried out his traps and were happy they did. The same happened with other products, like Lefler 330 frames, Victor 280's, KB stabilizers, Northwoods 1 3/4 etc.

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5002900
04/09/15 07:20 PM
04/09/15 07:20 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Victors might be difficult for you, unless your big for your age. I would get trapline mole traps. But a lot of guys swear by victors, I hope to learn to do well with them

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5003040
04/09/15 08:56 PM
04/09/15 08:56 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
Ok I'll get a couple victors and a couple trapline traps and see which kinds I like best

Re: tips on getting started [Re: Cole S] #5004058
04/10/15 05:14 PM
04/10/15 05:14 PM
ga
C
Cole S Offline OP
trapper
Cole S  Offline OP
trapper
C

ga
I just ordered 7 out o sights and had 1 of my no mols set off but there was a rock in the jaws but no mole. Do you think i had one set it off but the rock was there?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread