ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4976044
03/23/15 12:45 PM
03/23/15 12:45 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
I got the WCT magazine, and went to conferences for a starter. I was a fur trapper so that helped. At the conferences, I learned more at lunch and at night talking to other operators. This site is one of the best places to learn a lot. Read all the back post that you can.

Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4976131
03/23/15 01:51 PM
03/23/15 01:51 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

If I only did work within 20 miles, I would be working part time.

Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4976470
03/23/15 06:26 PM
03/23/15 06:26 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
Going out on a limb here, but very few people do wildlife full time without pairing it with pest control or animal damage restoration.

Bob Jansma
Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4976489
03/23/15 06:34 PM
03/23/15 06:34 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Bow Bender, if you've never had a subscription to Wildlife Control Technologies magazine, send me your name, address, and E-mail

address and I will buy you your first years subscription. ( That goes for the rest of you too but you can't be a past subscriber )

Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4976532
03/23/15 07:04 PM
03/23/15 07:04 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
B. Jansma is correct about the very few people making it on wildlife alone. After some of the phone calls we have received and some

of the customers we've had, we are thinking about a couple more add-ons to our ever growing list. Things like Basic English,

Psychiatry, and one of my favorites, Knowing Where You Live. ( Seriously, how can you live some place for several years and still get

it wrong? )

Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4978671
03/24/15 10:28 PM
03/24/15 10:28 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Live honey bee removal used to fill in the blanks for me in San Diego.

Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4978983
03/25/15 08:02 AM
03/25/15 08:02 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I went 11 years part time. very little sleep those last few years before going full time. I only did rodents as a add on back in the days when I first went full time. I dropped the pc lic many years ago. only do wildlife now. You need to Find what your areas needs are as far a service, be it moles , squirrels or hippos, what ever it is and market for that service. This is not a industry where we can choose what we want most of the time. I did not set out to be the squirrel man, it came to me. Marketing is your main got to get it done. you can be the best in the field and with no work you got nothing. For the first time here for me in many years, My marketing has changed because the way I have done it for 30 years stopped working. I had to go back to basics and figure out what is the new trends and is working. So for you I would say, work part time, market full time and price your jobs full time. you will be full time sooner than you think. or close shop because you don't like it LOL.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #4979627
03/25/15 04:49 PM
03/25/15 04:49 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

You got a point there Jonsie. I was only part time for 4 months. I didn't choose this line of work, It just happened by accident(Literally) I shattered my knee hanging Iron in Los Angeles, and my neighbor had raccoons. She was a looker so I did that first job for a bottle of wine, and a pizza on a blanket outside her house as we watched the mama coon carry her pups out. She had a morning show on the radio and everyone knew about her raccoon issue. The next day my phone was blowing up! I never knew there were so many raccoons and skunks in San Diego.

Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #5055170
05/21/15 07:03 AM
05/21/15 07:03 AM
Maine
S
shorthair Offline
trapper
shorthair  Offline
trapper
S

Maine
ttt

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my traps for what I said I paid for them."
Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #5055263
05/21/15 09:17 AM
05/21/15 09:17 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I would think most of us started out part time ADC and built our businesses from the ground. Particularly the old generation men like Paul W., myself, Mike Page, Ron Jones, Rob Erickson, Phil Nichols, Ron Frye to name a few and so many others who are of retirement age or getting ready for it.

There wasn't much info or training back in my early years in the late 60's early 70's. I had a day job that financed much of my early ADC equipment purchases, aided my learning curve time and provided finances to build my lure business. It went that way for many years until I had built a versatile skill set of services and acquired enough equipment to work with to handle all my service call needs and allowed me to fly solo doing fulltime ADC, Pest Control, Fur trapping and Lure formulation.

That is an act I still do currently with employees and part time help of course. You fellas think you are busy. smile

Things are much different now. Trade skills can be learned or bought thru training at a more aggressive manner then ever before. You do still need to pay your dues in learning and applying your skills over time to establish yourself and your abilities. There is no fast track for that.

Everyone wants that quick fix now a days, however it still requires considerable training or hands on experience or working with someone who is willing to mentor you along the way. You need to start with services that you can master one area at a time and continue to add on to your skill set to where you are well versed enough to get going.

The service end is just one part of a small business venture. The other components like developing your language skills to speak to customers, sell jobs, diagnose problems, get your needed paper work /accounting skills in order, establish business skills in billing, collection practices, terms and people skills all are a part of the total package.

Resolving the nuisance problem is only the tip of the ice burg and usually the easy part. Its the other areas that make or break you. Every one has to start somewhere if they have a sincere interest in a business venture. There are some folks on here that have been there and done that. Having a patient and supportive wife or family is a key component in allowing you to grow your business.

If you don't have that, or someone that can help to finance your venture while allowing you time to grow can be a make or break situation for many aspiring to build any kind of initial sole proprietor business.

Some have started on their own for a while and found that running a business was just not what they wanted to do or could do. So the options were working for another company as an employee or buying into a franchise or going another direction all together. Some have done all of these things and they certainly can give you their take and views from their perspective if they choose to chime in on this topic.

There has been a lot of info already discussed on this topic over the years in the archives. Most of the questions that you have will most likely be found with some research and reading under previous similar topic discussions.

Best of luck to you.

Re: ADC Part time? [Re: Bow Bender] #5055387
05/21/15 11:29 AM
05/21/15 11:29 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Bob's above post is right on the money. I enjoy reading all of the problems and successes that you all run across. There probably

aren't too many of these joys and failures that Bob and I and a host of others on here haven't experienced ourselves. Every time I

read about something not going just quite right, I have to chuckle. It was bad enough when it was just me, but now we have nine

full-time technicians. Just imagine taking a problem ( Like Throw-Backs collection problem ) and multiplying it by nine. If you don't

keep your sense of humor and enjoy all of your many successes, this wonderful job can become a nightmare. It is human nature for our

mind to concentrate on the bad and forget about the good. If I asked each of you to write a book about all the bad times you had in

this business, it would be a very short story. But if I asked you to write about all the good and the humorous things that happened

to you, you would have the makings of a hit TV program. Keep that in mind!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread