ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again #4962217
03/13/15 05:23 PM
03/13/15 05:23 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I met someone who used one of our competitors to remove raccoons. We use a service call and per animal charge while most of our

competitors prefer the flat rate. The flat rate charge equaled what we would charge for our service call and the removal of four

animals, which is not a bad deal, if you can sell it. (I've found that a lot of customers believe they have only one animal) The

customer told us that it turned out to be a really good deal for him. He had more than a dozen raccoons in his old garage/barn.

He said that the competitor had to make lots of trips and certainly didn't get rich on that job. I thought about this and I

realized that the customer must have known about the large amount of raccoons and picked the cheapest price. If he would have

known that he only had a couple of animals, he could have gone with us and saved some money. So when you use a flat rate, how do

you protect yourself from an abundance of animals? And don't tell me you can tell over the phone. I've been fooled every year by

catching twice as many animals as I thought I would. ( But I don't lose, I win )

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962258
03/13/15 05:49 PM
03/13/15 05:49 PM
Manchester, CT
K
Keith J. Ferry Offline
trapper
Keith J. Ferry  Offline
trapper
K

Manchester, CT
most of my work is set up fee plus per animal. Others are flat rate, like coons in chimney and gray squirrels (although the flat rate is base on the average job. If access to the work area more difficult or extensive damage repair, the price goes up.)

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962268
03/13/15 05:57 PM
03/13/15 05:57 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
I do flat rate, and I think that it averages out. Some jobs only have one raccoon and others have a bunch but on average I am doing ok. My guess is that there are fewer times when your competitor has to catch more than four animals than when you get to catch less. All summer long I am either getting a mother with babies or two males at most in an attic. Not sure if you are charging for non mobile babies or a reduced rate but that's usually one mom per attic. If you charge 1/2 price per non mobile baby you need 6 in the litter to break even with a flat rate based on four.

If animals are in a home I am making the home animal free. Using Comstock's on a roof over the hole, two or three if they fit. I can clean out an attic pretty fast. No non targets.

If they have a problem on the ground I am flat rating for certain number of days. I have found you can get yourself in trouble using the "solve your problem speech... when you can't control the whole environment like you can when animals are in an attic.

Bob Jansma
Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962276
03/13/15 06:03 PM
03/13/15 06:03 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
In a house - Flat rate. I have taken as many as 6 coons from an attic. Mostly, 1-3, or female w/young. Same with chimneys.
In an outbuilding like a barn, or vagrant grubbing animals, set up + per animal (less control over how many animals there are).

Almost without exception, I trap on the outside of a house, at the entry hole. I don't like putting up a ladder multiple times for just an animal fee. Example: One coon in attic. Ladder to set up. Ladder to retrieve catch. Ladder to remove traps. One animal would get me $300 (?, set up + 1). A flate rate would be at least 2x that. If I suspect more than one animal, I multi-set as possible anyway.

There are always exceptions to the rule and will get the bad end of the deal sometimes.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962405
03/13/15 07:18 PM
03/13/15 07:18 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I understand what you guys are saying. I have a handful of customers that would jump at the chance to have all their animals removed

for five or six hundred bucks. But I probably wouldn't get 5% of the new customers to pay that much up front. ( Of course, some of

them will end up paying that amount, but they don't know that ) Our area is known for penny pinching anyways. ( And I'm part of the

problem. I drove an extra 12 miles to get a $60 rebate on a set of tires myself. Maybe we should have coupons )

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962503
03/13/15 07:58 PM
03/13/15 07:58 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Paul, change the animal. Do you do per animal with flying squirrels? I've caught as many as 28 (twice) in one house. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I was charging $75-100 per squirrel (plus set up and sealing), when they can all be caught in one or two nights with a colony trap. I have competitors that do just that. I think there's a limit, before gouging my customers and getting a bad rep.
Happy customers or (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off customers, one will refer friends, the other will tell everyone what a thief I am. I prefer the former.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962905
03/13/15 11:41 PM
03/13/15 11:41 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
We have flyers but we charge half of what you do. And they're fairly new to our area so I think 16 is the most out of one house and 5

or 6 is probably the norm. I've probably caught 16 red squirrels out of a house too and pretty close to that many greys out of one

house that the city owned. Large amounts of almost any animal is unusual and fortunately when it happens, the customer is wealthy

enough to afford it.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962945
03/14/15 12:25 AM
03/14/15 12:25 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Flat rate. My customers don't seem to like the mystery. I also don't know this areas biology well enough. Plus, one squirrel or ten, the problem isn't solved,until it's zero. If I trap the one. And only, problem solved. If you trap 9 of ten, we still got a problem, if you are paying by the animal, you paid but still have a problem.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962972
03/14/15 01:32 AM
03/14/15 01:32 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I am screwing up the whole industry in my area of WA,,,,,I began releasing on site........try catching that coon,,,, whistle

There is a reason behind this madness,,,,,,,,,,,,,??????//

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4962981
03/14/15 01:51 AM
03/14/15 01:51 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
I flat rate voles and chipmunks...set heavy to minimize trips

All other wildlife except moles i have a set up fee and per animal

Moles i have a per animal but they dont pay me until i catch moles

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4963252
03/14/15 10:06 AM
03/14/15 10:06 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I think we all have learned and decided on the best way to set up their business rates. As I have stated in the past we charge a set up fee and per trip fee. The per trap fee covers either trap maintenance or animal removal. So in other words we always set up for a multiple catches on the first trip according to the situation your experience dictates for you to do.

This covers all the areas of concern for both your business and the clients interest. The goal is to provide good service and a reasonable pricing structure.

The bottom line to this business is making a profit and being compensated for your time and vested real expense per job.

So if we catch 1 or 4 animals per job per trip the price is the same. We always set 2 or more traps per job depending upon the animal involved and the site conditions.

As in the cases where you "know" you will most likely have multiple catches over a period of time you will still be paid for a site visitation. We just explain that you may catch one animal any given day or you may catch several that is always a variable no one can predict.

The one thing you must make clear to the customer in this situation is that they must call daily for one catch or multiple catches' Not wait until all the traps are full. When or if we see someone attempting to milk this situation and doesn't call us as required and we know this "by doing a random in the area courtesy service call" we charge them for an additional service charge fee.

We don't have many problems with this but people being people try to push the envelope at times. But we can weed these out pretty easily in a few days. We all know with experience if you feel you should catch an animal in one or two days in most cases. If no call comes in when we feel it should we stop by to check on things when we are in the area.

If you catch them attempting to pull a fast one, it is noted to them one time. Then if it continues we pull the job completely or remove the extra traps and leave one only.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4963327
03/14/15 11:06 AM
03/14/15 11:06 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
So when you use a flat rate, how do you protect yourself from an abundance of animals?

By pricing per trip/per day.

When I flat rate a job it's because I'm figuring on multiple animals and want to catch as many as I can. They are almost always 'population reduction' jobs.

I'm just starting a 75 acre mobile home park that is "over run" with animals. Per animal really isn't an option.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Vinke] #4963397
03/14/15 11:56 AM
03/14/15 11:56 AM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
Originally Posted By: Vinke
I am screwing up the whole industry in my area of WA,,,,,I began releasing on site........try catching that coon,,,, whistle

There is a reason behind this madness,,,,,,,,,,,,,??????//

I bet at least 70 % of the urban coon in my market are trap resistant from homeowner trapping and release efforts( illegal ).

Sometimes just setting a cage trap causes them to vacate that area.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4964324
03/15/15 02:54 AM
03/15/15 02:54 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Quote:
Sometimes just setting a cage trap causes them to vacate that area.

BING.......

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4964325
03/15/15 02:55 AM
03/15/15 02:55 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Quote:

I bet at least 70 % of the urban coon in my market are trap resistant from homeowner trapping and release efforts( illegal ).

Not in WA if released on site.........

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4964374
03/15/15 07:17 AM
03/15/15 07:17 AM
Luray,VA
M
Mike Hurley Offline
trapper
Mike Hurley  Offline
trapper
M

Luray,VA
We sell it different, Yal are focused on animals, I charge per day....the way I charge has nothing to do with the animal count...It has to do with the number of days my truck has to roll over to their house..24 hour state check law, so that means EVERYDAY...

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4964478
03/15/15 09:28 AM
03/15/15 09:28 AM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Mike, do you have to physically check, or can your customer check and call? In CT the customer can check and call, which leaves time to set up another job instead of running around checking empty traps. Of course not all customers cooperate, then we have to do what you do, and charge for the trip.

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Brian Mongeau] #4964607
03/15/15 11:02 AM
03/15/15 11:02 AM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Originally Posted By: Brian Mongeau
Paul, change the animal. Do you do per animal with flying squirrels? I've caught as many as 28 (twice) in one house. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I was charging $75-100 per squirrel (plus set up and sealing), when they can all be caught in one or two nights with a colony trap. I have competitors that do just that. I think there's a limit, before gouging my customers and getting a bad rep.
Happy customers or (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off customers, one will refer friends, the other will tell everyone what a thief I am. I prefer the former.

Usually in instances like these I'm smiling like I'd hit the lottery while the customer isn't. Unless they've dome something to warrant extra charges, I tell them that the job was too easy and I'm only charging you this much. I still make some good coin for my pocket and the customer is elated for getting a discount. Customers love discounts. This is one way to get customers talk about you to their friends and has led to the most referrals.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4964999
03/15/15 05:02 PM
03/15/15 05:02 PM
wi/mn
T
travellintrapper Offline
trapper
travellintrapper  Offline
trapper
T

wi/mn
Paul,

my main competitor charges a flat rate on most critters. They do a set fee for up to 3 traps for 5 days regardless of how many animals they catch. Last year this company did about 8.5 million dollars in business with 62 employees, but 99% of that is bugs.

On one particular job last fall they charged the customer their flat rate, which is $450 and set 3 traps sort of haphazardly around a small cabin which skunks dug under. 5 days later they hadn't caught anything and told the customer the skinks left on their own. That night they seen the skunks again in their yard so the customer called me.

I fenced off the entry point straight into 2 plasticatch's and 3 days later had all 3 skunks, their trust, and their pest control contract, and did it for the exact same price but not on flat rate. $150 set up, $100 per skunk. so now one week later these guys are into these 3 skunks $300 each! I didn't get the full story till after I got the 3rd one or I may have been a little sympathetic with them. in the end I have them for a continual customer which is always the goal I suppose.

All that said, ive been very strongly considering going to flat rate for 2 years. im not really sure why I haven't yet but for the customer who waits 2 weeks after a sighting or when im the 3rd company called the flat rate would work best for me.

there are + and - both ways I guess...

Re: Flat Rate vrs. Per Animal Again [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4965091
03/15/15 06:40 PM
03/15/15 06:40 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
flat rate for me to solve problem. that way if I don't trap a animal because they take off I still get paid to solve the problem. For me trapping is a method to solve the problem not my service.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread