ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
pellet rifle #4927909
02/22/15 02:20 PM
02/22/15 02:20 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
There is another person with a pellet rifle thread, I didn't want to ask a different question and create a conflict so here goes.
I have wrecked about 5 scopes used on spring pellet rifles ( RWS 350 mag 22 cal ). The last one that won't hold zero is a Hawk with the highest rating for dual recoil that I could find. I have Williams peep sights that work great What doesn't
work great is my eye sight. I need magnification or some type of help.
I wanted to try a laser sight. Will this work ? Or will the recoil cause it to loose it's zero .
It you know of any spring gun sights that will work I would appreciate a response.

Thanks Bob

Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4928086
02/22/15 04:14 PM
02/22/15 04:14 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Spring guns requires a special scope due to the unique double slam recoil. First the normal recoil of firing then the BACKWARDS recoil when the piston hits the stop.
That's why the mounts creep to the rear, and why good rifles have a screw hole for a mount stop.
The creep is the most common effect, but the internal scope damage will trash the zero too.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4928271
02/22/15 06:04 PM
02/22/15 06:04 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
At the cost of 5 scopes have you considered switchin rifles?

That being moot, how about trying a rimfire scope

Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4928365
02/22/15 06:48 PM
02/22/15 06:48 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Throw Back . I picked up a benjamin Discovery. Scope friendly, accurate, a little short on power.
I wanted the 350 mag to work because it is very powerful. One shot to a raccoons head and they simply roll over game done.

Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4928518
02/22/15 07:52 PM
02/22/15 07:52 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
If the Hawke is rated for spring-piston air rifles I'd contact Hawke once you know for sure the scope is the problem (I just did an article on this in the Mar/Apr WCT where I discuss Barrel Droop). Other issues with the spring-pistons could be with the mounts and/or the mounting screws coming loose from the stock/barrel (I've had this happen on several spring and gas-piston guns). As for the other optics on the market, I'm not aware of any that has been "spring-piston" approved by reliable shooters but that doesn't mean their isn't something out there. Like you, I need the magnification and with the arch an air rifle produces I wouldn't feel comfortable using a laser as being off by just a couple of feet could result in a miss.

All PCP rifles will be scope friendly. The Discovery is rated as an excellent air rifle but it has a lower air reservoir capacity (135cc) and can only be charged to 2000 PSI which makes it every easy to fill with a hand pump. Unlike the Marauder series, it can also be configured to use CO2 and has a rating of 900 fps with air. I'm considering getting one in .22 specifically for birds in buildings due to the number of repeating shots and ease of filling.

The next step up would be the Marauder Pistol. It has a much smaller air reservoir (65cc) but a higher fill rating (3000 psi) but the velocity is only rated around 700 fps. While the velocity is much lower (mine is averaging 647 fps) than a Discovery, it is still very capable of taking out birds out to 30 yards (and might be safer in buildings) and is also very easy to conceal as it is more like a carbine with a stock attached.

I agree that neither of these will most likely approach what the RWS 350 Mag is capable of doing, so if your looking at replacing it with a PCP guaranted to surpass it, I'd recommend going with a Marauder .25, FX Boss .30 or Daystate Wolverine (because of the magazines and listed by price). If you'd want to stay with .22 caliber look at the Hatsan AT44, Air Arms S510, or FX Royale 400/500 (again by price). If you prefer single load check out the Air Force Condor and Talon and if you want to stay with spring/gas-piston look at Weihrauch.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4930920
02/23/15 11:04 PM
02/23/15 11:04 PM
MarsHill,NC
V
Vincenator Offline
trapper
Vincenator  Offline
trapper
V

MarsHill,NC
Hey Bob,I also own a RWS 350 Magnum springer.I am using a BSA brand scope on it with no problems.the 350 is notorious as a scope killer.What type of mounts are you using?Have you tried a one piece mount?Check and see that your mounts are secure as Eric mentioned.

Every day is good,some are just better!
Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4934339
02/25/15 05:29 PM
02/25/15 05:29 PM
Alabama
R
rshell Offline
trapper
rshell  Offline
trapper
R

Alabama
I have the 25 cal marauder I absolutely love it 1 shot kills to coyotes. And it has the capability to shoot squirrels in the head at 30 yards. And it very quiet. You can also shoot a 43 grain pellet that has lots of energy.

Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4935586
02/26/15 09:20 AM
02/26/15 09:20 AM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
WCT-Vincenator-Rshel- You people are a wealth of info.The heavy spring guns are very fussy on how they are held. It weighs as much as a shot gun. I believe it is a high quality rifle with a few quirks. I can get a acceptable hold on the gun while in a comfortable position, but if I were in a attic crouched over standing on a rafter, I don't think I could shoot a shotgun pattern ever.
I think the Marauder or other air powered guns would have been more user friendly for my situation.
Now I will half to start a new thread ( How to sneak just one more gun into the house. )

Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4935620
02/26/15 09:47 AM
02/26/15 09:47 AM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
Youtube Air Gun Academy had a video on rifle droop. I know Eric has touch on it, they said if you adjust out pass 3/4 on your scope knobs the spring inside the scope becomes to loose and won't hold zero. Shimming is required. They have more video on the subject.
Kurt

Re: pellet rifle [Re: bob pake] #4935664
02/26/15 10:10 AM
02/26/15 10:10 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Without getting too much into the article, you need to be careful when shimming any scope as you can end up damaging it while trying to make the necessary corrections. The FX No-Limit scope mounts aren't cheap ($80) and are made for 11 mm dovetail grove, but they have a very unique property that allows the scope to be adjusted for both height and angle. This is preferable to using a shim as you still have solid contact between all of the ring and tube and then make your adjustments. They are available from Airguns of Arizona and Precision Airguns and Supplies.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread