ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Job pricing question? #4915883
02/16/15 03:38 AM
02/16/15 03:38 AM
Georgia
T
TrapHarder Offline OP
trapper
TrapHarder  Offline OP
trapper
T

Georgia
Ive started a small ADC company this past year. I have 3 predator control jobs lined up for the next few weeks. Here has been my standard rate-

-$100 set fee
-$50 gas fee
-$50 per catch

Ill be driving around 20 miles one way for each job. would you consider this a standard rate for pricing or would you usually charge higher prices? Im young and just getting into the business and I dont want to overprice where Ill be bidding myself out of jobs; but at the same time I want to be getting paid a fair price for my skill level. I would love to hear how my pricing compares with some of you guys who have years in the business. Thank you for any and all advice!

God bless
-TrapHarder

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4915996
02/16/15 08:54 AM
02/16/15 08:54 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
I remember asking this question a long time ago (years) ...and still don't know the answer ... crazy Charge what you think your worth and on the same token, get a feel of others pricing...take it from there..

Joe Robidoux
Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916007
02/16/15 09:05 AM
02/16/15 09:05 AM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
I never liked leaving pricing open ended for the customer. If I were you I would tell them I would trap for x number of days for x dollars. No guarantee on catch since the animal could have got hit by a car, left the area etc.

This can work in both of yours favor. What if you catch it the first night? What if there are multiple catches? I felt like it was the most fair way to approach things and think I sell more because of it.

Bob Jansma
Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916017
02/16/15 09:17 AM
02/16/15 09:17 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
In most cases, I leave the option of a flat job rate or per animal fee....they know the per animal fee is a gamble...but to some , gambling is an addiction ............and some time the flat job rate can bite ya in the butt

Joe Robidoux
Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916109
02/16/15 10:21 AM
02/16/15 10:21 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
TrapHarder, you'll have to provide a lot more information.

Will you be trapping in an urban, suburban or rural area? Is it a back yard or a multi-acre hunting lease?

What do you mean by "predator job"? Are you trying to catch one coyote or are you trying to knock down the population of coyotes, fox, raccoons, skunks, etc.?

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916177
02/16/15 10:50 AM
02/16/15 10:50 AM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
I don't care how you slice it, the fact is if your not getting paid for every minute your on the job. You are loosing money. Figure in a travel time, on site time, catch fee, inspection/setup fee and plan in a profit, (OVER WHAT YOU EARN AND WHAT IT COST YOU TO DO THE JOB)Also remember, youR time to drive there should be charged the same as on site time. Just because the client is far away in no reason for you to take a hit on your hourly rate. You will have administration costs Billing. filling out required reporting forms. Figure in an hour per job for that. Here is a good simple method. First figure what you need to get per hour to make your company profitable. Thats what you need to make per hour on a job. Never go check an empty trap for free. If you flat rate you will only survive at best, if you charge by the hour, you may run clients off. So how about a flat rate setup fee that covers your inspection time and travel for the first visit. Then a trap check fee based on you hourly needed rate. Than a removal/reset fee as your profit. Don't forget to price in your insurance cost broken down also. Last but not least. If you put into your estimate for trapping and or exclusion the line (NOT TO EXCEED AMOUNT)next to the total for a number days Your client will not see a black hole money pit. You will also need to let them know that it might take longer but they have the option of going on or not. It gives them an out. If you know your stuff you will be able to make this work.
My last comment. This is the wildlife damage control BUSINESS. I don't care how good a trapper or what ever you are, you need business back ground. Take a night course, read a book on business, attend a seminar. Put all you start up money into that, NOT LETTERING ON YOUR TRUCK and hats and shirts. You will never make it past survival mode unless your a business person first. Remember if you can't make a profit on a job RUN!
30 years self employed here.
Don LaFountain

Last edited by Trapper Don; 02/16/15 10:56 AM.
Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916431
02/16/15 01:32 PM
02/16/15 01:32 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Don, are you against any truck lettering or ID, or just the high-priced wraps that guys get?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916494
02/16/15 02:11 PM
02/16/15 02:11 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I dont think he is against them, he is saying you should spend the money on education first.

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916514
02/16/15 02:33 PM
02/16/15 02:33 PM
Georgia
T
TrapHarder Offline OP
trapper
TrapHarder  Offline OP
trapper
T

Georgia
Thank you for all the advice! Trapper Don, I am currently a college student studying to get my business degree. I want to learn the ins and outs of business and try and start my business at the same time. Ive learned a ton over the past year, and I have seen how easy it is to underprice a job and end up in the hole. Thankfully at this stage in my life, I can make a mistake and come up short and still survive without it being a huge hit to a family. The predator control jobs that Im taking on are large acreage hunting clubs that have high numbers of predators. I did one job last year, where in one week (charging the above prices) I caught 15 predators. So, it was well worth my time. Thankfully Ive been able to build a reputation amongst many outdoorsmen that now know to call me when they have issues with coyotes especially. Out of curiosity, how much do you try to make per hour when its all said and done? Ive heard some say they wont work for less than 25$ per hour in the end, and Ive heard others say more like 10$-12$ per hour. What would you consider a reasonable rate (assuming im a trapper with experience and knowledge who will get the job done well) once all expenses are paid? I appreciate the advice...Im 21 years old and know that I have a lot to learn before becoming a successful business man, and I love to hear from experienced people who know the business and can give applicable advice. Thank you again!

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916622
02/16/15 03:41 PM
02/16/15 03:41 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dave, what Don is saying is that if you don't have a business plan, your business will fail and we will have to buy your used

equipment and we don't like advertising all over it!

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916643
02/16/15 03:57 PM
02/16/15 03:57 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Gas fee is relevant to mileage and number of checks. Set up fee is relevant to acerage and number of traps. Hourly pay is relevant to expenses. If you just have yourself to pay, pay what it's worth. If you have insurance, trappers fees,state fees, license etc, its more.

Btw, if they are deer hunters it may be all about the dogs, but if they hunt turkey or quail trap cocoons and skunks too, nest raiders

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: Dave Schmidt] #4916857
02/16/15 06:04 PM
02/16/15 06:04 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
Dave
I am not against truck lettering but the whole wrap thing. Over my 20 years in this business I have seen guys get started and they have their trucks all painted up. Some of the ones I met have no business back ground (glad to hear this guys in school and heading in the right direction) But some of the ones I've met think its cool to be the big wildlife guy with the fancy truck. There have even been threads here about getting the truck wrapped and then looking at how to run a business. Cart before the horse so to speak. I use no lettering at all, but I am in a different situation. Only Corp.work.
I look for a professional looking truck. Maybe a simple logo and contact info. I see these Good Humor wildlife control truck and wonder who would hire them. I have a need to keep what I do quiet and leave me alone while I do it mentality.
So long answer to wraps are a waste as far as I see it. I built a very successful business without all that. I had signs in the first few years but since I ask people where they got my name not one ever said I saw your truck.
So my other 2cents for today
Don LaFountain

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4916895
02/16/15 06:22 PM
02/16/15 06:22 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
Trapharder
I would say the hourly fee should be what you calculated from your expenses/costs and what you need to live on. There area your in will also set some limits on what your ability to charge is. But for an average, I would not work for less then $25.00 per hour with other fees added. I once worked for a major corporation and after a meeting one of the higher ups told me they almost didn't hire me because I didn't charge enough. Professionals charge for what they know, not what they can do. Get paid for your knowledge. Hope all this has helped.
Don LaFountain

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4917549
02/16/15 11:37 PM
02/16/15 11:37 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
That's what I thought. I do think it's important to have lettering on the truck, but many go overboard, and what should be something that can be clearly legible at 60mph is far too busy.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4917679
02/17/15 01:03 AM
02/17/15 01:03 AM
Georgia
T
TrapHarder Offline OP
trapper
TrapHarder  Offline OP
trapper
T

Georgia
Thank you for the GREAT advice Trapper Don, especially in the last comment. I really appreciate it, and hopefully (one day) Ill have a successful company that is profitable and reputable. Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions!

Re: Job pricing question? [Re: TrapHarder] #4918066
02/17/15 11:35 AM
02/17/15 11:35 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Those of you that have NO lettering on your truck, don't despair! We are one of the largest animal removal companies in the state

and one of the reasons we are is "no lettering." ( Okay, I think there might be some lettering on the license plates )

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread