ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
business #4881579
01/27/15 08:03 PM
01/27/15 08:03 PM
south caralina
Stevensdrew Offline OP
trapper
Stevensdrew  Offline OP
trapper

south caralina
how should i start a ADC business

like southern trap line on face book

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4881613
01/27/15 08:15 PM
01/27/15 08:15 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
The first step would be to put an "O" somewhere in caralina. Then I would attend a seminar or try to talk to someone who is far

enough away to not consider you a possible competitor. I don't know a whole lot about your main ADC problems so some local help would

be the answer. Maybe even you DNR.

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4881938
01/27/15 10:03 PM
01/27/15 10:03 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
No wonder you guys want a collage grad,,,,............ NO OFFENSE INTENDED Stevensdrew

(I spell like a left handed, add, right eyed, chromosome 21 baby)(And I type like a fish)

(Yes Paul you are going to have to Yahoo, chromosome 21)

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4882432
01/28/15 12:48 AM
01/28/15 12:48 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Vinke, do you have any idea how long it takes me to type a long word like "chromosome"? Okay, after years of medical school this is

what I found out. Chromosome 21 has 477genes (me) or 635genes (Vinke) It causes Alzheimer's and nonsyndromic deafness in me and

Jervell and Lange-Nielson syndrome and Romano-Ward syndrome in Vinke. Vinke's syndromes cause him to spell left handed, add right

eyed and type like a fish. Mine are self-explanatory.

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4882504
01/28/15 01:51 AM
01/28/15 01:51 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I'm sorry Paul,,,,,,I meant Trisomy 21,,,,,, hoping you feel better...........

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4882548
01/28/15 04:06 AM
01/28/15 04:06 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Build inventory of necessary tools; a couple raccoon, skunks, and squirrel traps. Basic building tools, hammer, drill, pick, hardware cloth. A good ladder. Build your inventory off of what you know you Will need and only get a minimum amount. I think a majority of us had a pile of stuff we bought and never used. That being said, keep a chunk of change around to buy as you go.

Get a business licence, a name that you researched, and insurance.

Build contacts, my only good ones were pest control guys. To be honest everyone else was moot. Real estate people are too cheap, and putting up flyers has go me zero, same with leaving cards. It doesn't get info to those who want it.

My business is still new so my memory is fresh. I will add more later.

Best of luck

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4882551
01/28/15 04:15 AM
01/28/15 04:15 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
good input thow back,,,,,, you left off getting a hair cut and hiding you tattoos.......... smile

Re: business [Re: Vinke] #4882796
01/28/15 10:40 AM
01/28/15 10:40 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: Vinke
good input thow back,,,,,, you left off getting a hair cut and hiding you tattoos.......... smile

I'll cut my hair, but the beard stays

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4882822
01/28/15 10:56 AM
01/28/15 10:56 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
On a list of tools, I love my inspection camera . I think they are highly under utilized in this industry

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4882905
01/28/15 11:48 AM
01/28/15 11:48 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Start with deciding if you want to own a business or if you'd prefer to have a more guaranteed paycheck catching/removing animals and animal conflicts. There is nothing wrong with working for another company so you can do what you want to do and not get bogged down with the business side of running a business.

If you want to own a business, start by researching what state requirements the business has (licensing, training, insurance [professional, liability, vehicle, medical, property, equipment], etc.) and then look at what services you'd like to provide and see if they have any additional criteria. In most states, wildlife is managed by a wildlife and/or fisheries department so while they can set criteria on how to remove problem animals, they do not have authority over making repairs or installation of materials to structures. These services my be regulated by several entities/laws so based on services you would like to offer you may need to have a nuisance wildlife license/permit/certificate, hunting license, fur taking permit/license, contractor license, insulation certification, specific OSHA training (OSHA 10, OSHA 40, HazWopper, confined entry, fall protection, ladder certification, scaffolding, aerial lift license, etc.), and/or structural pesticide license to name several in addition to having a business license and a vendor license.

Each state is different with it's requirements and in some places you even have additional criteria imposed by the county the work is being done in as well as the municipality. I have one municipality that if I do repairs within a certain zone, I need to be licensed as a historic restoration company so my decision is to not do repairs in that location. Once you know what is required to have a business (it may be as simple as calling yourself a business or more complex like I listed above) you can then decide if you really want to open one. If you do, the next step is to determine what business structure you want to have (sole proprietor, partnership, limited liability corp, "S" corp, "C" corp) and name you'd like to use then registering your company for that name structure. This may involve getting an attorney to do a name search and write your articles of incorporation as well as hiring an accountant to manage your tax liabilities. Once that is done, then you may have to get a separate checking account for the business (I recommend this regardless of business structure). Some states have a personal property tax you'll have to pay right away too.

Once you've done all of this you're set to start getting the gear together for the services you'll want to provide, create a pricing structure, develop a marketing strategy, get a phone number and website/email for the business, and then "officially" start offering your services.

I purposefully didn't' get into doing market research and business plan development as my advice is to think about what running a business entails first as it can be much more than just going out and setting some traps. Owning a business can be extremely rewarding or it can lead to an early death. Like most things in life, it isn't for everyone but there is nothing wrong with following your dream be that as the owner of a business or as a technician catching animals.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4883825
01/28/15 09:16 PM
01/28/15 09:16 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
The first few months are an adjustment for sure. The amount of paperwork and regs is surprising.

I was told that in most industries a great business mman with mediocre skills will go farther than a talented craftsman with no business savvy.

Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4888484
01/31/15 12:42 AM
01/31/15 12:42 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
True that. The graveyards are full of folks who were excellent workers/technicians, but who had no business sense. I think it's even worse in this industry - full of guys who can trap anything that moves, but couldn't tell you if they made a nickel's profit last year.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: business [Re: Stevensdrew] #4888554
01/31/15 01:18 AM
01/31/15 01:18 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I always use the food industry for an example. There a plenty of IHOPS selling terrible food at mediocre prices because they have great business men knowing just how much to charge for your hashbrowns and how to get customers in.

I know a woman who is a great chef, really a phenomal cook, doesnt know squat about business and is messing up her restraunt because she doesnt understand profit margins or demographics

Re: business [Re: Dave Schmidt] #4888596
01/31/15 01:45 AM
01/31/15 01:45 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
True that. The graveyards are full of folks who were excellent workers/technicians, but who had no business sense. I think it's even worse in this industry - full of guys who can trap anything that moves, but couldn't tell you if they made a nickel's profit last year.

I like to think I have found perfect balance of not knowing what I am doing or how to keep track of it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread