ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
pigeon traps #4881302
01/27/15 06:29 PM
01/27/15 06:29 PM
MarsHill,NC
V
Vincenator Offline OP
trapper
Vincenator  Offline OP
trapper
V

MarsHill,NC
What traps are you guys using for small to medium size removal job?Aprox 15/20 birds on roof top.Cant shoot them, as in a very public area.
Have any of you used ovo control?Any luck with it?

Every day is good,some are just better!
Re: pigeon traps [Re: Vincenator] #4881516
01/27/15 07:42 PM
01/27/15 07:42 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
To use Ovocontrol P (P is for pigeons, G is for geese), you need a pesticide applicators license or at least be working under one. This is a long term product that may be best applied to sites with several hundred pigeons versus a small number. It is effective, but it does require daily dosing and may cost more to use than more common removal or exclusion methods.

For 15/20 birds, I'd recommend the WCS large pigeon trap. It's based off of a model I use but can't remember the name of and can hold up to 40 birds at a time. Another trap you can try would be the 2 level collapsible pigeon trap by JWB Marketing (800-555-9634). There are smaller pigeon traps available, but I've never had the same level of success with them as with the larger traps.

When trapping pigeons, bear in mind that they are attracted to other pigeons. So the best bait you can have is one or more pigeons in the trap. With the larger traps, you can add perching rods as well which seems to help as it allows the birds to get off the ground and keep them calm.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: pigeon traps [Re: Vincenator] #4881957
01/27/15 10:10 PM
01/27/15 10:10 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I make my own,,,,,, I use old refrigerator grates (cut) because I think they encourage entry over welded wire doors,,(they can get there head in up to there shoulders)(do birds have shoulders) and they are angled, not straight up and down.......

Some say a wooden bottom is best but I use so much rolled corn it does not seem to matter

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: pigeon traps [Re: Vincenator] #4882457
01/28/15 12:59 AM
01/28/15 12:59 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Now you tell me. I donated a refrigerator and an upright freezer to the Salvation Army last year. Think I could get the grates back?

Re: pigeon traps [Re: Vincenator] #4882493
01/28/15 01:27 AM
01/28/15 01:27 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
If it went to good will/value village,,,strip it down,,,,,,,,Salvation Army,,,,,,,,,,,, NO!...... (GREAT cause........)

Saint Vincent DE Paul is one other place ( all though I am not Catholic,,,,.........)

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread