ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors #4869482
01/21/15 09:07 AM
01/21/15 09:07 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Next Monday Night Jan26 at 8 pm EST Rednecks Pride Outdoors will have Jim Comstock of Comstock traps on to talk about baitless cage trapping, This should be good!!!!!!! Me an ADC and Trapping bait and lure maker with my quest a trap maker that does not use baits LOL Jim and I are good friends so it will not be bad, I hope !!! LOL Really he has some really good methods, and I will not say it publicly but I use some of his methods also , but you will never hear it from me LOL WARNING!!!!! I talked to Jim on Saturday and Sunday and each time last an 1.5 to 2 hours on the phone so listeners beware LOL http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp…

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4869823
01/21/15 12:39 PM
01/21/15 12:39 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
This should be good.....plenty reason for bait and baitless trapping.

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4871223
01/22/15 04:53 AM
01/22/15 04:53 AM
North East Illinois
C
carlswildlife Offline
trapper
carlswildlife  Offline
trapper
C

North East Illinois
Given the location a positive set Comstock trap for me will catch the target animal quicker than a baited trap. There are always times when a run, trail or pinch point are not available and a baited trap is necessary but with baited traps I seem to have more of a chance of catching a non-target animal meaning more time on the job. Jim is a very good speaker and should put on an informative talk.

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4875995
01/24/15 10:59 PM
01/24/15 10:59 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Hey Jonsie, looking forward to Monday night. Its always fun. I think you mentioned going into some stuff with steel traps, conibears, maybe fur too, which all ties in to ADC in a similar approach. I still do use all the tools in the arsenal in ADC, not much on the steel, but it does come in handy in the right places.

Don't tell anyone that I used bait today.

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4876625
01/25/15 12:30 PM
01/25/15 12:30 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Psst, I just heard that Jim Comstock used bait today, but don't tell anybody.

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4877265
01/25/15 06:53 PM
01/25/15 06:53 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
He wont here ya Paul,,,, he is probably still sleeping because someone kept him up all night talking yesterday...........

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4877546
01/25/15 08:51 PM
01/25/15 08:51 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
yeah I heard that also today vinke. All is good for tomorrow night unless this storm causes power failure for me. something like 2 to 3 feet of snow. is going to hit Jim and my self. I hate white stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say I hate it ? Jim and I was talking today, a lot of stuff can be covered from ADC to fur to who knows what. if no one else gets on the show Jim and I can cover a lot of ground. Heck, today we caught ever coon in the north east with our methods LOL

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4877887
01/25/15 10:27 PM
01/25/15 10:27 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I better not join in,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,Judy will kill me..............

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4879261
01/26/15 06:15 PM
01/26/15 06:15 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I fear this is going to be a 2 hour show with out any help!!!! but hey join in the more the guests talk the less I have to LOL. makes being a host easier except for when two people that don't like each other LOL then I will make sure there is technical malfunctions to those 2 LOL

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4880509
01/27/15 10:48 AM
01/27/15 10:48 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Could not find the talk going on with Jim Comstock on the 26th. at 8:00. Did it go on?

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4880754
01/27/15 01:11 PM
01/27/15 01:11 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4886651
01/30/15 08:52 AM
01/30/15 08:52 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed doing the show with Jonsie. This was the second one. He surely knows his stuff and knows what to bring out, very personable with a great sense of humor which makes it easy. We've all made so many mistakes in trapping over the years so it's nice to be able to pass on some the stuff that did work, lots of trial and error to get to a point of setting with confidence. Hope we can do more podcasts in the future. It seems like there is no end to discussions, always new stuff to learn, daily. Two hours seems like quite a bit, but I just came off three hours on the phone with Vinke the day before, a trapper who definitely knows how to put cages and critters together. I sure keep my ears open when talking to him as he will once in a while "leak a secret." Those who live in pretty much cage only states have leaned how to adapt and make it work.

Speaking of new stuff, I never had heard of nuisance marten trapping until the other day. What next?

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4886698
01/30/15 09:38 AM
01/30/15 09:38 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Jim
Great program, could not get on the first night but got on the and listen the next night. I was surprised at the comment near the end of the show when you said someone in CA would not go back to the old style traps if they changed the laws. That is saying something.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4886921
01/30/15 11:57 AM
01/30/15 11:57 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
It is something,but pretty true everet. I would use DPs and foothold if I could for fur, but still wouldn't for adc, it's just not good in public opinion

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4886984
01/30/15 12:22 PM
01/30/15 12:22 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Throw Back:
You are right. In CA everyone has a opinion on everything. The bad thing they are spreading out. LOL

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4887209
01/30/15 02:01 PM
01/30/15 02:01 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
The cage statement was from a fur trapper in this case, who had for years used steel traps like we all did for cats. The comment about not going back to steel "even if we got them back" means that the cage traps are working so well for him that going back to steel wouldn't be something he would do. When we first heard about California going to cages it was no surprise with all the liberals and referendum. We expected it, just didn't know what day. When I heard about it, wiithout hesitation I turned to Judy and said, "the first guys who get onto cages for cats will have state full of cats all to themselves and will rack up some very big catches." Understandably it took a while to come out of disappointment and depression, to be forced to change, but when they did and adapted... I think the anti thought it was game over, but now they see the success with cages and their appeal for a humane trap, which is what they have has come bak to their real intent, stop all trapping. They are now going after cages. With cages the same has been true for lots of stuff, beaver, otter, muskrats etc. Guys are making all sorts of record catches with cages of all things. Think it would have been tough for a mountain man on a horse though. Cages are more expensive, larger but also more effective in many situations. If someone told me back when I was 16 that I would be using cages to trap beaver when I was in my 60's I would have told them they were out to their minds, but... Jonsie talked about "Rut" trapping, finding a method and equipment that works well and never looking to change for something better or improve. I always have said I would sell all I have and change methods and or equipment in a second if someone shows me better. I remember the first time I saw a Belisle conibear. Next day, I owed a whole bunch of them.

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4888022
01/30/15 09:39 PM
01/30/15 09:39 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Jim and I have talked a lot out of the publics eye, about a lot of stuff. He is a top trapper. Going into that show I knew where Jims Mindsets was at. And I was thinking this is going to be a long one. I knew he knows the content well. We won't mention something that only the folks that was on before the taping started knows LOL So Guys! on that show the other night, there was a lot of info that was given. most was not even made note of while on the show. When I do a show My job as the owner and host is to listen to the guest, figure out which direction they are going and key in on the things that I know the listeners need or want to hear. I tell every guest before the show that I am going to Dumby way down for the show, so if I ask a question just go with it. There was so much that Jim was saying just talking, what I call key points. I will hear these key points, write them down as the guest says something and figure out how to get back to it. There was so many key points that I just keep looking at the clock and telling myself not now we will be here for 4 hours LOL My point is for a person with a open mind to hear, and then listen, and pick up the little things, that are just said in conversation, That show has a lot. Jim mentioned the RUT above. I did a Talk way back in the late 80's at a national wildlife conference called Trapping in a rut. Most thought, before the talk, that I was going to show some type of set using a dead furrow or something. But the talk was on, we as ADC folks when finding something that worked and we like it, that would be the only thing we would do. Never trying new things, for fear of failure. you see we put our self into ruts. We all would rather do what comes easy. It is hard to look for ways to change and learn. Doing the same thing, well it is comfortable. You see that talk came 4 or 5 years after NJ lost the foot trap. I was mad, other tools and methods was not given a try or fair try. If I tried something it was half way. you see, I was forced! ready for this! to use cages and MAKE THEM WORK!!!!! When I realized that and that to make them work I had to WANT TO MAKE THEM WORK well I came up with all kinds of ways to get it done. I have talked to 5 or 6 new ADC and or trappers this past few weeks, asking advice. When I told them what they could try, I could hear in their voice, that there was not a snow balls chance in HE Double Toothpicks that they was going to listen to me. let alone try it. Oh well Good show to listen to! That is if you want to hear LOL Also, anything that I may have admitted to on the show, I will deny as far as bait-less cage traps LOL

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4888115
01/30/15 10:13 PM
01/30/15 10:13 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Thanks Jonesie, I think I've got the makings of another column.

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4888378
01/31/15 12:07 AM
01/31/15 12:07 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Back to the rut. What is really great to see is older guys, which I'm not part of, of course, but guys like 80 year old Fred Lawrence, an equipment guy to the max. Fred is always excited about new, wants to try and learn, so it becomes a state of mind more than age. It just seems like many get set in their ways and don't want to change, so it is very refreshing when open mindedness accompanies aging. Fred did take 85 beaver last year and put them up too! I remember New York State Trapper Johnny Magel when he was about 70 going to watch a demo. "I just want to see his equipment."

Re: Jan 26 Jim Comstock on Rednecks Pride Outdoors [Re: Jonesie] #4888864
01/31/15 10:05 AM
01/31/15 10:05 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
When an ADC or Trapper Knows the critters both Habits and behaviour first, Then he or she will choose the method that fits that situation, rather than making the situation fit the method. This really comes to play when we have to get That single animal that is causing the problems. That is why folks Like Jim mentioned above are also ways looking for tools to fit a situation.

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread