Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Bear Info. #2833187
11/16/11 10:00 AM
11/16/11 10:00 AM
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline OP
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline OP
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
BEAR Information

Bear meat can be excellent when properly prepared, and when cooked, it is very much like pork. A young animal does not need to have its meat marinated, although this helps to tenderize the meat and to remove the gamey taste. Older meat should always be marinated. Be sure to remove the fat before preparation. Also cut out all sinews and other undesirable parts.

The flavor of bear can vary greatly, depending on the animal's diet and the amount of fat left with the meat. A bear that has eaten carrion will have objectionable flavors, while one that has fed on berries will taste completely different. Bear fat has a very strong flavor and will make the meat objectionable if not completely removed.

Care should be taken with bear meat to prevent the danger of trichinosis. Either be sure the meat is well cooked to an internal temperature of 170 degrees F. or that the meat has been stored at 10 degrees F. below 0 for at least 30 days.

Tenderness depends on the age of the bear. Young animals may be roasted; but don't overcook them. Older meat should be cooked with moist heat as in casseroles or stews. Marinating the meat may also help. Try using bear meat in your favorite recipe

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Re: Bear Info. [Re: RiversNorth13] #3310820
09/07/12 11:47 AM
09/07/12 11:47 AM
Texas
S
Shorty Gorham Offline
trapper
Shorty Gorham  Offline
trapper
S

Texas
Thank you for that info. I have enjoyed Bear meat on many occasions. Many people have false info on Bar and don't believe they can be eaten. Very well said and again, thanks for posting.

Re: Bear Info. [Re: RiversNorth13] #4649007
09/16/14 06:48 AM
09/16/14 06:48 AM
Chitwood Oregon
C
crossroads Offline
trapper
crossroads  Offline
trapper
C

Chitwood Oregon
Last year my daughter and I both killed spring bears. They both had a smell about them while cutting them up, they were both unedible in my opinion, but a guy I work with asked to try it and loved it. There was a lot of skunk cabage in the area we got them and I think they had been eating it.

The spring bear I got this year didn't have that smell and made some very good Summer sausage. I would like to try a fall bear that's been eating black berries all summer.

Third year trapping goals
Bobcat 1/10
Cougars 2/0
Coyote 0
Opossum 14/0
Nutria 0
Beaver 0
Raccoon 0
Muskrat 0/10
Mink 0/5
Skunk 3/0
Re: Bear Info. [Re: RiversNorth13] #4875595
01/24/15 07:15 PM
01/24/15 07:15 PM
ID
B
bob1454 Online content
trapper
bob1454  Online Content
trapper
B

ID
I prefer fall bears over spring bears. The ones feeding on berries or pine nuts are very good table fare.

SGT USMC 72-75
Member DAV,MTA,ITA,NRA
Re: Bear Info. [Re: RiversNorth13] #7256136
05/02/21 02:15 AM
05/02/21 02:15 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Spring bear is good eating as long as you get them when they first come out(when they are grass fed)Later in spring you can get the odd one that wont taste that good.
Fall bears that have been in the blueberries for a month or so are good eating too.
Its quite a bit more work processing and trimming a fall bear carcass than a spring one.

Also,freezing will not kill bear strain of trichinosis like it kills the pig strain.
Cook all bearmeat well done-in the oven with BBQ sauce,in stew or if sausage cook to well done.
Dont make bear jerky(drymeat)There is a good chance you could get trichinosis.
A good substitute for bear jerky trail food is to cook a bear roast well done,let cool in refrigerator overnight then slice thin across the grain and throw in a bag with salt and shake up.
You can carry that as trail food and it will keep good for quite a few days.You can also dry it for longer storage.

Last edited by Boco; 05/02/21 02:17 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread