ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Collarum bait #4820572
12/27/14 01:29 AM
12/27/14 01:29 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
I saw custom grade lure etc, to provoke "bite and pull" but I was thinking, what would be better than tying a dead rat to one?

Any downside or someting I might be missing?

Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4820681
12/27/14 06:00 AM
12/27/14 06:00 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
The weather.

Tim Julien,s bait, or others like it are made with ingredients to retain its quality. A dead rat won,t.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4820840
12/27/14 10:24 AM
12/27/14 10:24 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
You would have a bait that will attract a lot of nontarget species, including raptors, and potentially fire off the device. Because of this, multiple states have a rules such as bait cannot be larger than X amount in size (tablespoon or golf ball size) and/or that all flesh bait must be covered so you'd have to put something over it to make it legal.

Also, you'd have to cut the rat to the right size or you could have the fox or coyote not in the correct position when triggered so they get hit by an arm instead of having the cable thrown over and around their heads.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4822162
12/28/14 01:18 AM
12/28/14 01:18 AM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Older video. There is an updated version.

Models/supplies- http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/removal/Collarum-Models.html

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4822372
12/28/14 09:16 AM
12/28/14 09:16 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
well I think it depends on where the coyotes are and the coyotes pressure. The trap excels in suburban work. I am trying not to write a book here but in a nutshell, out in the fields and away from people, I find no matter who's bait Tims or Mine, the coyotes will lick. this is in my area. I have pics of coyotes just licking the bait and moving on. even when in the side holes or down in the tube. I believe this is happening because, and may be wrong, but out in the farms type land, the pressure is not on them to get in and get out if they are by them self or one other coyote with them, they have all the time in the world with no pressure. a chunk of meat in this case seems better for this situation. I have to cover all baits with snares so I will wrap grass over the bait. In suburban where the coyote is a little more on edge they seem to grab and pull faster on the paste baits. Most likely because they need to grab and get more by habit. up on the deck at the dog food bowl thing. Here in NJ when it comes to coon and skunks well it does not matter for me they grab and pull everything. so I do not feel for my area that the chunk vs paste means anything on non targets except for cats and even then I have pick of them just sitting there chewing rather than pulling. That is why I am modifying the cables and lock to catch coon with them. If I set a camera I will have 5 to 10 coon on the trap for every one fox or coyote just looking at it.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4822714
12/28/14 01:11 PM
12/28/14 01:11 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I think the last sentence pretty much covers why I have had zero success with collarums. I am not going to catch two dozen raccoons

for free, just so I can catch 1 coyote for pay.

Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4824874
12/29/14 04:47 PM
12/29/14 04:47 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
All good advice guys

Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4838603
01/05/15 11:22 AM
01/05/15 11:22 AM
CT
ctnwco860 Offline
trapper
ctnwco860  Offline
trapper

CT
All great advice and comments here on the Collarum. My only additional comment here is that the Collarum was created with the sole intention of capturing canines. The species specificity of the Collarum is seen as a HUGE advantage in most parts of the country, both by operators/trappers and legislative bodies. The Collarum has stood the test of time and it is a pretty well known fact that it does an excellent job of live capturing canines, through the use of the "bite & pull" response, all over the world.

My perspective on "modifying" the Collarum so it effectively captures other species (and let me say here, I have no problem with it)such as raccoon, now takes away its' species specificity and may be viewed as something other than a "species specific device. Ron Jones is operating under a very precise, and ultra-restrictive set of legalities, so he's doing what he needs to do to make a accepted device work for him. But in most part of the country, this modification is unnecessary and in some cases may be viewed as unwanted (read legislatively).

My thought has always been, if you need to clean out raccoons first with cage traps or DP's, if the situation warrants then so be it. But if you need to catch the coyote, fox, dog right off someones deck, or in a neighborhood then the Collarum is your tool of choice.

Alan A. Huot
WCS

P.O. Box 538
East Granby, CT 06026
ctnwco860@gmail.com
www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com

Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4842936
01/07/15 02:45 PM
01/07/15 02:45 PM
OH
M
mousie Offline
trapper
mousie  Offline
trapper
M

OH
Lts nevada pass is one he sells.

never make someone a priority when they make you an option !
Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4843485
01/07/15 07:44 PM
01/07/15 07:44 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
The collarum bait Alan sells is just as good shoved down a dirt hole in front of a foothold as it does on the collarum. I love it as a bait.

[Linked Image]
Re: Collarum bait [Re: Throw Back] #4849928
01/10/15 08:34 PM
01/10/15 08:34 PM
CT
ctnwco860 Offline
trapper
ctnwco860  Offline
trapper

CT
Thanks Warrior. It's no secret Gary Jepson developed our Collarum Canine Bait (he calls it Silence) as a bait for Getter Guns a number of years ago, hence the "bite & pull" response. It is perfectly suited for the Collarum which requires such a response, and has at this point caught every type of canine around the globe imaginable, including wolves. It is in the trappers nature to want to experiment, explore, tweak, etc......but after 15 years I can confidently tell people this stuff WORKS !

Alan A. Huot
WCS

P.O. Box 538
East Granby, CT 06026
ctnwco860@gmail.com
www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com

Re: Collarum bait [Re: Jonesie] #4867661
01/20/15 09:42 AM
01/20/15 09:42 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Jonesie
well I think it depends on where the coyotes are and the coyotes pressure. The trap excels in suburban work. I am trying not to write a book here but in a nutshell, out in the fields and away from people, I find no matter who's bait Tims or Mine, the coyotes will lick. this is in my area. I have pics of coyotes just licking the bait and moving on. even when in the side holes or down in the tube. I believe this is happening because, and may be wrong, but out in the farms type land, the pressure is not on them to get in and get out if they are by them self or one other coyote with them, they have all the time in the world with no pressure. a chunk of meat in this case seems better for this situation. I have to cover all baits with snares so I will wrap grass over the bait. In suburban where the coyote is a little more on edge they seem to grab and pull faster on the paste baits. Most likely because they need to grab and get more by habit. up on the deck at the dog food bowl thing. Here in NJ when it comes to coon and skunks well it does not matter for me they grab and pull everything. so I do not feel for my area that the chunk vs paste means anything on non targets except for cats and even then I have pick of them just sitting there chewing rather than pulling. That is why I am modifying the cables and lock to catch coon with them. If I set a camera I will have 5 to 10 coon on the trap for every one fox or coyote just looking at it.

That's very interesting. The "grab and go" when it's close to where people are, instead of in a rural area, where they have more time.

Have any of you had much luck with a collarum, in a rural setting?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread