ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Invoice reply--payment for failure? #4849402
01/10/15 04:31 PM
01/10/15 04:31 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline OP
trapper
traprjohn  Offline OP
trapper
T

Central NC
Back in Nov., I set cages for a groundhog, becuz the womans' cat likes to go into the groundhog holes, so couldn't use 220's as usual.
I told her the price wouldn't exceed $300 but possibly would exceed $200, depending on the # of trap checks,..she wants to check traps from her window...I agree, to help her keep costs down.
2 cages were tripped, individually on different days, and I went back at dusk to reset them.
The cages apparently spooked the hog into other parts, as it left, and I never caught it...AND IS STILL GONE.
I had decided to sit, wait and shoot it, so sighted in my .222 Rem also..that day, she called and said she hadn't seen it for 4 days...so I pulled.
I made 4 trips of 10 mins or less each time, about 5 miles round trip...twice with my helper at $10/hr.(on his ride home, but she don't know that)
After sending 2 invoices, she replies with a letter saying she will call the $60 I billed her for as a "retainer"...since I "failed at catching and euthanizing it".
YES, ONLY $60 , since it was actually on the way to take my helper home 3 of those trips.

She did pay, but I will write her a letter 'splainin that the hog is gone, next time could easily be a different hog altogether...and explain that me and my helpers time AND GAS, has value.

I will also gently remind her that the guy she called a few yrs ago, charged her $250....yes, he did catch a hog, though.

I'd like to know if this has happened to any of you and how did you handle it.....
AND
Even if it hasn't happened to you, what would u do?

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4849492
01/10/15 05:29 PM
01/10/15 05:29 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Tell her there was misunderstanding, you are not a trapper, but a problem solver. Hogs gone then the problem is gone

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4849599
01/10/15 06:17 PM
01/10/15 06:17 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
How was your contract written up?

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: Getting There] #4849637
01/10/15 06:36 PM
01/10/15 06:36 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline OP
trapper
traprjohn  Offline OP
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: Everet
How was your contract written up?

Sadly, I must respond, "what contract"....I usually reserve them for corporate jobs......NOT ANYMORE THOUGH.!.!

Learned my lesson.

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4849697
01/10/15 07:03 PM
01/10/15 07:03 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
That's a big no no. You have no garauntee of payment and no way to avoid a lawsuit should anything happen. Take this as big lesson learned.

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4849765
01/10/15 07:32 PM
01/10/15 07:32 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Flat rate pay up front solves that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4849846
01/10/15 08:05 PM
01/10/15 08:05 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Forget trying to charge for a "helper" who wasn't needed and did nothing to benefit the customer. Trying to charge for a guy you are driving home is unethical.

You set up the job for $60 and didn't catch the problem animal. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4849873
01/10/15 08:15 PM
01/10/15 08:15 PM
Iowa
M
moleman Offline
trapper
moleman  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
On my third invoice for non payment I ask this.
If you go to a doctor or anyone & they find you have no problem do you owe them for services. Of course.
I also tell them they have 15 days to pay before I put a lein on there house.
I also add that they should call me if this is a problem.
You can not control events that happen.
I might add I try to tell them right of front that it could happen & the charge will be X.

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4849952
01/10/15 08:44 PM
01/10/15 08:44 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
moleman, you have my utmost respect on your post. There are way too many people out there that are used to not paying their bills.

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: moleman] #4850339
01/10/15 11:20 PM
01/10/15 11:20 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline OP
trapper
traprjohn  Offline OP
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: moleman
On my third invoice for non payment I ask this.
If you go to a doctor or anyone & they find you have no problem do you owe them for services. Of course.
I also tell them they have 15 days to pay before I put a lein on there house.
I also add that they should call me if this is a problem.
You can not control events that happen.
I might add I try to tell them right of front that it could happen & the charge will be X.

Good Points, but this isn't about non-payment.

Its about a customer who expected the animal dead and removed as opposed to just gone.

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4850686
01/11/15 08:50 AM
01/11/15 08:50 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
This has to deal with setting expectations.

Anytime I do a groundhog/skunk job, I always tell the client that I can't catch an animal that isn't there, after having some similar experiences, before accepting them as my client. If they have a hard time understanding this (and that does happen), I won't take them or I will create a "new" service program for them.

That's also why I don't have a trapping fee, it is a service fee or trip fee with descriptions to match. If I catch something, that becomes the per animal fee when I'm billing on a per animal/trip basis. If it is unlimited for X number of days it is billed as X day service program, again with a description to match the item.

If you want, you can put all of this into a contract (remember, contracts are only valid if you have both signatures which can be hard to get at times) and have them initial it, but just because they initialed it and signed the contract doesn't mean they won't fight you on it.

If you're really concerned with it, offer a 10, 15, 30 or 90 day call back on your jobs where you won't charge the service fee to reset the equipment.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: traprjohn] #4851746
01/11/15 07:55 PM
01/11/15 07:55 PM
Luray,VA
M
Mike Hurley Offline
trapper
Mike Hurley  Offline
trapper
M

Luray,VA
Back in Nov., I set cages for a groundhog, becuz the womans' cat likes to go into the groundhog holes, so couldn't use 220's as usual.

Ground hogs go underground for weeks at a time in the winter

I told her the price wouldn't exceed $300 but possibly would exceed $200,

Should have gotten the "retainer" up front and set the price in stone with a contract with signatures as Eric said.

The cages apparently spooked the hog into other parts, as it left, and I never caught it...AND IS STILL GONE
OR a sleep or ran over by a car....

Take her 60 dollars and learn a valuable lesson, homeowners will screw you faster than any commercial account, use a contract for everything.
Just my thoughts, good luck gettin your money.....

Re: Invoice reply--payment for failure? [Re: Mike Hurley] #4855078
01/13/15 11:05 AM
01/13/15 11:05 AM
Central Ohio
Dirk Shearer Offline
trapper
Dirk Shearer  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
We utilize a Service Fee to go out conduct the inspection and set traps if they are warranted. That fee is good for the duration of the project until it is completed. Once the job is completed, a 30 day return is in place should another animal show up and need removed.

This usually placates those that had an animal leave, get hit by the UPS guy, or caught at a neighbors house. We also explain that this is for accounts in good standing. That tends to encourage them to get their bill paid.

Dirk E. Shearer, President
The Wildlife Control Company, Inc.
"Cause if you won't put your real name on it, you probably shouldn't hit send"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread