Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Deer- the other parts... #4097529
11/05/13 11:03 PM
11/05/13 11:03 PM
Oklahoma
M
muddyriver Offline OP
trapper
muddyriver  Offline OP
trapper
M

Oklahoma
When I get a deer at our annual deer camp, my father in law always scoffs at my collection of what he calls "guts" upon dressing the animal. He used to work at a slaughter house and developed a disdain for the "guts".

We have a tradition in my house. The evening of the day I shot the deer, we have kidneys, testicles, brains, and sometimes lungs. Then the following day we have the liver and heart. An easy preparation for allow these items is to slice them evenly and to season with fresh cracked pepper and tony chacheri's or some similar seasoning with desired amount of additional salt If needed. Then dredge in similarly seasoned flour and fry or sauté, whichever you prefer.

One mistake people usually make with organ meats is to over cook them. Over cooking organ meats concentrates the already minerally, gamey flavor. Just cook them through so that there is still plenty of juice in them.

Deer Organs:

Brain- has a creamy texture and a light flavor. It is nice to cook it hot and quick so there is a little crunch in the outside.

Kidney is surprisingly good. It is like a firmer less pastey liver.

Liver - deer liver is great and comparable to pork liver. I find it several levels better than beef liver.

Lung- lung is okay, but towards the bottom of my list.

Testicles- released from their outer sack and sliced in ~1/4 inch slices, deer testicles are as good as calf or lamb fries.

Heart- the heart is on of the finest pieces of meat on the deer. Cut off the top where the main blood vessels attach. Then cut cross ways making 1/4-1/3 inch heart rings. Again, do not over cook the heart. It is very lean meat but has short muscle fiber.

We occasionally eat the tongue also. I have heard of people eating the thymus or sweet breads, I have not.

Re: Deer- the other parts... [Re: muddyriver] #4123149
11/19/13 10:01 AM
11/19/13 10:01 AM
MS
M.L. Offline
trapper
M.L.  Offline
trapper

MS
Love that heart with some onions and bacon drippings, slow cooked in a cast iron skillet!

We eat the testicles too. A delicious piece of meat..either lightly breaded and fried or cooked over an open fire.
Never tried the kidneys, will have to give them a try. Think I will pass on the lung for now.

Re: Deer- the other parts... [Re: muddyriver] #4788702
12/10/14 03:12 AM
12/10/14 03:12 AM
Central MN USA
mnyote31 Offline
trapper
mnyote31  Offline
trapper

Central MN USA
Tried the "rocky mountain oysters" this year, I consider myself a pretty good cook but boiled is not good lol I had bulls in Colorado some years ago elk hunting and they where great sliced and fried. So new recipes next season lol. Still trying to get the taste for heart.

PTC-would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
MTA Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread