ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
raccoon job questions #4749649
11/18/14 04:03 PM
11/18/14 04:03 PM
New Jersey
C
cjoutdoors Offline OP
trapper
cjoutdoors  Offline OP
trapper
C

New Jersey
Ive been doing ADC for about 8 years now. Ive seen alot, but i know i havent seen it all. Ive also come to find that not one person will solve an ADC problem exactly the same as someone else. One of my current jobs has me wondering what you would do, and how many trips you think youd make on average to complete the job.

The job is an oolder house in a semi-urban area. A-frame house, aluminum siding and soffitt over original cedar shingle. coons are climbing up all 4 corners, and have busted in the corner soffit pieces and bent them in. soffitt panels running along the side of the house are 40% missing and or bent. I do not like setting ttraps inside the house, and in this instance it is not possible.

I dont have any pics at the moment. but going by the description, what would you do? how would you trap, annd how would you know when finished? would you do any sort of repairs or soffitt replacement or would yoou reccommend a contractor?

Also, we are only allowed cages and snares here in NJ, and due to the area, snares are not an option

Re: raccoon job questions [Re: cjoutdoors] #4750077
11/18/14 08:16 PM
11/18/14 08:16 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Are the soffits open to each other? If you sealed 1 corner on each side, could the raccoons get to the open corner?

Re: raccoon job questions [Re: cjoutdoors] #4751147
11/19/14 12:01 PM
11/19/14 12:01 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
If they are coming out at night to eat, you could probably catch them all on the ground in one night with enough cages.

Re: raccoon job questions [Re: cjoutdoors] #4751451
11/19/14 03:34 PM
11/19/14 03:34 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Combining Paul's idea of trapping on the ground with soffit repairs should work. FIRST, repair/replace all long runs of soffit. Either yourself, or have them hire a contractor to do it. Leave only the corners open, which will limit their access only to the corner entries. Set heavily at all corners (climbing points) for a couple nights, using cardboard or tape for hole monitoring after a few catches. Of course weather conditions (especially temps) will factor in, so instant success may be a pipe dream.

Ron Scheller

Re: raccoon job questions [Re: cjoutdoors] #4752934
11/20/14 10:54 AM
11/20/14 10:54 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
yep close all areas except for one. keep the one open entry point open that they are using the most. set traps on the ground on the corners or how they are getting on the structure,and or 2 traps on the roof by the opening. Ground traps for me is better, as I can set up faster and more traps. tape the entry hole every time you are there so you can see how often the coon are really there. Know the 4 w's of the job and you will get it done faster.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: raccoon job questions [Re: Jonesie] #4756308
11/22/14 01:07 PM
11/22/14 01:07 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: Jonesie
Ground traps for me is better, as I can set up faster and more traps. tape the entry hole every time you are there so you can see how often the coon are really there.

I've had success doing this a few times.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread