ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
I want the yotes gone - help me with tips #4746906
11/16/14 10:47 PM
11/16/14 10:47 PM
N.E. Kansas
S
Spotshooter Offline OP
trapper
Spotshooter  Offline OP
trapper
S

N.E. Kansas
Yotes tore up some deer, and I've had enough.
I've got a dozen Jake traps, and a half dozen modified MB's.

This is a control thing not for the fur thing, so PM me or just tell me your recommendations for the most effective methods, including methods that require new equipment

Grinners - 5
Raccoons - 4
Coyotes - 0
Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4747041
11/16/14 11:39 PM
11/16/14 11:39 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Just about everything you want to know is in this thread- http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...ith#Post4693098 , except use of snares. Are snares legal in the area you are trapping?

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4747056
11/16/14 11:51 PM
11/16/14 11:51 PM
N.E. Kansas
S
Spotshooter Offline OP
trapper
Spotshooter  Offline OP
trapper
S

N.E. Kansas
Thanks, snares are legal.

If anyone looses a deer because they shoot it in the evening and for what ever reason can't find it the yotes eat the entire thing before morning.

I guess I saw that one too many times.

Grinners - 5
Raccoons - 4
Coyotes - 0
Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4747173
11/17/14 02:06 AM
11/17/14 02:06 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Spotshooter, Is your entire motivation based on coyotes getting to your downed animal before you did?

Not poking at you, just trying to be sure I understand your statement "Yotes tore up some deer, and I've had enough."

You referenced in the last post about them getting to the deer overnight so assumed that was the problem.

Trapping or hunting some out will of course reduce the number briefly, but doesn't mean they won't still find those
deer especially during hunting season when they are so keyed in on gut piles and wounded animals which are easy picking.

Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4748189
11/17/14 07:35 PM
11/17/14 07:35 PM
N.E. Kansas
S
Spotshooter Offline OP
trapper
Spotshooter  Offline OP
trapper
S

N.E. Kansas
HD -

Yep, part of this is me being (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), part of it is a safety thing.

Last year I had a group of yotes circled me and my truck as I gutted a deer in the headlights in a field.
It was a bit hair raising to hear them howl and snarl as they circled down wind even when I shouted at them repeatedly.. they didn't care, they just kept snarling and howling trying to drive me off.. However they did care when Smith and Wesson cut loose, big fireball, but my left ear is still ringing (I carry a 44).

That combined with the fact that the land owners wife is scared of yotes, and any deer hunter that had to leave his deer overnight ends up with bones brings me to ... lets thin them out and convince them there might be a better place to hang out.

smile

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/17/14 07:37 PM.

Grinners - 5
Raccoons - 4
Coyotes - 0
Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4748619
11/17/14 10:38 PM
11/17/14 10:38 PM
Sacramento Mountains NM
mtncat Offline
trapper
mtncat  Offline
trapper

Sacramento Mountains NM
Not knowing all the details of the exact situation, terrain, numbers, non targets in the area, or if you're just wanting to kill some coyotes or hit it like a contract job, this is the best advice I could offer. And this is based on if it were a contract job.
Make sure you are equipped to do the job!
From what you stated you had, you're not!
Having all the tools at hand is the key to success.
Here is a brief list of what's in my truck when I head out to deal with a coyote problem. This is in addition to "normal" stuff.
Long range rifle. Meaning you need to be able to hit at 500+ yards with it.
Short range rifle. Mine is an open sighted semi auto.
Shotgun with proper choke and loads.
Cage traps.
Foot hold traps.
Snares.
Foot snares.
Collarums.
Lures and bait. I have probably 20-30 different types on hand so I can switch as needed.
Game cameras. I run a bunch of them so I can see both what the animals are doing in general but also to see how they may be working a particular set.
A good electronic call, I like and use FoxPro.
Mouth blown calls.
Probably a few other odds and ends that I can't think of off the top of my head or that are always in the truck.
And yeah Justin, my coyote load out would give your pocket car a hernia LOL

Last edited by mtncat; 11/17/14 10:39 PM.

Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: mtncat] #4748917
11/18/14 01:30 AM
11/18/14 01:30 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: mtncat
And yeah Justin, my coyote load out would give your pocket car a hernia LOL

Hey come on now Mike! That lil pocket car holds a bunch! smile

Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4749039
11/18/14 08:14 AM
11/18/14 08:14 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Spotshooter, since it doesn't sound like you want to go into business but just want to thin out the population, I'd suggest you look in the archives at the bottom of the main page and read up on coyote trapping. There's hundreds of threads on the subject.

There are many sets discussed but the dirt hole, scent post and flat set are the big three. With a dozen and a half traps you should be able to take some out. Use the gut piles to your advantage.

Start hunting the coyotes. By the end of the winter you'll have the population down a little more. Keep at them all summer and by the time next deer season rolls around you should see a difference.

Of course even if you're successful in clearing the area more will eventually show up. That's why it's a long term effort your looking at.

Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4750950
11/19/14 09:54 AM
11/19/14 09:54 AM
NW South Carolina
S
SCHillbilly Offline
trapper
SCHillbilly  Offline
trapper
S

NW South Carolina
Which ever set or sets you choose to put in the ground make sure they remain working for several weeks without messing with them. A fisherman with his line out of water isn't going to catch any fish. A trapper without traps in the ground isn't going to catch fur. Make multiple sets in each location. A good location commands multiple sets 10 feet or so apart on each side of the road, in the road, in the trail, along a water water way or just where the coyotes are leaving tracks and scat. There's plenty of threads on here that explain different sets. I use a lot of deep dirt holes, flat sets, buried bait sets with the bait staked down and cover with a couple inches of dirt and use a backing(not very tall 4-6")to help control the direction the coyote comes into the set. Drag a deer or beaver carcass in a straw field then make trail sets with snares and foot hold traps in the trail that the carcass made when it was being dragged. The best set location may take a couple of years or more to find. But,once you find the best location to set traps on your property you can wear them out with 3 or 4 sets in one location as long as you leave them working and leave them alone. You may have multiples of these locations on your property it depends on the size of your property.

A older retired friend of mine wanted me trap his property where he trapped foxes 50 years before the coyotes were here.He knew where to set the traps and told me where to look. I found the location he mentioned and set 3 traps in this location. I trapped his property to remove as many coyotes as possible. I got a permit to trap out of season. I caught 25 out of 31 coyotes on his 120 acre farm in a period of 16 months using those 3 traps. I trapped a total of 12 months out of the 16 month period. Sometimes I would have to put a new trap in the ground when I got blood on the trap, the coyote tore the set up real bad, or it was just to muddy to put it back right then. He really enjoyed checking the traps from his ATV or when he could ride with me. The traps were checked every day either by him or me. Very seldom did I re bait or re lure a set before a catch was made.

Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4754745
11/21/14 11:37 AM
11/21/14 11:37 AM
N.E. Kansas
S
Spotshooter Offline OP
trapper
Spotshooter  Offline OP
trapper
S

N.E. Kansas
Correct - I don't want to get into the business... far from it.

However I'm an avid outdoorsman who grew up on a farm, and a competition shooter so I have the means, but not anything more than playing around experience with coyotes.
I'll take those things you gentlemen recommended into serious consideration, and I have some research and thinking to do (reading here, plus applying it to my specific situation).

So far I'm going to use raccoon, and opossum plus deer, and regular dirt hole and scent posts - plus I plan to do some calling...

Just for Mike Aka - Mtncat
FoxPro CS24 with just about all the calls on it, I even have a coyote decoy to use when calling - (BTW calling was great when hunters were doing it - once it became a fad, not so much)
I may be better equip'd then mtncat - Benelli SBE w/ Heavyshot, 243 Win short distance (which is relative to the shooter), and 280AI for up to 800 yards
No Snares or Cage traps but plenty of Jake and MB's.
I started a PM with LT Grey on snares but we haven't talked yet... I'm not interested in cages..

Regards,
and Thanks for the advice
Spot

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/21/14 03:00 PM.

Grinners - 5
Raccoons - 4
Coyotes - 0
Re: I want the yotes gone - help me with tips [Re: Spotshooter] #4754941
11/21/14 03:07 PM
11/21/14 03:07 PM
N.E. Kansas
S
Spotshooter Offline OP
trapper
Spotshooter  Offline OP
trapper
S

N.E. Kansas
For more details - and a review of the current game plan -

Essentially there are two strips of woods with a pond in between them. The strips flow north to south.
So from West to east - Woods, Pond, a corn field, and then woods (the woods on the east is where the pack of yotes camps out).
Each strip is about 60-80 acres and I hunt the west strip, and the coyotes tend to stay out of there because I shoot every one of them I see.

So the coyotes seem to be making loops following deer trails, farm trails, and fence lines going west "sometimes".
I plan to set the east side of the field where those routes are with all different types of bait... envision a raccoon sided dirt hole set ..
I've been baiting 2-3 spots, that's where I'll put dirt holes, and the other trails I'll dirthole, post, and flat set.
Couple bobcats there too, should be interesting.

I start making yote sets on Saturday... I'm going to keep at them rotating types of sets until I find something that works.
One guy told me to use KFC as bait... said it never fails. The only question I have is - How does one come to try KFC as bait ?

LOL..
Thanks,
Spot

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/21/14 03:08 PM.

Grinners - 5
Raccoons - 4
Coyotes - 0
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread