ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
other people's measurements... #4739777
11/12/14 04:35 PM
11/12/14 04:35 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Occasionally I get folks who want me to quote a bird job from a distance just by using their numbers.

I have one right now where the folks stated they "knew" the exact measurements and that they were
positive.

Having gone round a few times like this in the past some to my favor, some where I lost time or material
costs, I learned not to go forward without a caveat that any error is on them if they don't want a site visit
or won't allow one.

In the eagerness to earn business as a new company sometimes I leaped at these and learned tough lessons
and with large bird projects this can be expensive as equipment is all special and costs real money, let alone
your time and other aspects.

If you are doing anything of this sort remember google earth if you aren't already using it. Even the free download
will measure roof lines and other aspects of businesses and homes in many areas. Sometimes trees and bad imagery
in certain areas will preclude it, but in downtown city work, it is often within 6-12" of actual which is all I need.

This current one, the folks gave me an estimate of 500' of flex track product needed and in reality that would be just one
row (not appropriate for this type of ledge and situation) and they were off by more than 100 feet which is nearly $200.00
in just supplies minimum.

To those new to bird work this tool can be invaluable, you won't catch everything and you can't see how much clean up
there might be, but you can get a great idea of measurements and even some view of where things are accumulating to help
you decide on product placement along with a clients provided info.

I will say trusting a client for where the problem is can have consequences again, but again, a good modern tool in the tool
box to assist in your endeavors.

It is rare that I do any pigeon work where I don't marry a site visit with truthing measurements alongside google earth.

Also good for tire kickers, if folks want a quick quote and you aren't sure how serious they are, you can acquire a ball park
for this type of work or install especially for basic ledge projects. Netting can be tougher, but it is still useful.

Not a secret tip by any means, but maybe for some new folks just getting rolling one that is helpful.

Justin

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4739873
11/12/14 05:35 PM
11/12/14 05:35 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
We had a call today from a guy that claims to have Grey Squirrels and Bats in his attic. He pressed hard for an over the phone quote. He thought we should be able to give him a quote....said the attic was 150 square feet....ummmmm 10 X 15? Now that's a tiny attic!! I guess the Squirrels stayed there at night and let the Bats have it during the day.

Also most of the Snake calls I get are for 8 foot Snakes...strange how they shrink when they are in custody.

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4739968
11/12/14 06:43 PM
11/12/14 06:43 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Ha! Thats another great example bare hunter! I definitely don't offer any other quick quotes related to anything else in a house (bats, squirrels, etc...)
over the phone or via email without a site visit. Folks definitely don't understand the scope and size of things.

Have had a rash of log cabins for bat exclusion and many of them seem to think only the one log where the bats seem to be pouring out of needs to be remedied... Of course they fail to detect the 100's of other locations on the cabin, leading to an "oh, that makes sense" moment after a good bunch of discussion and photos and site visit.

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4740087
11/12/14 07:57 PM
11/12/14 07:57 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
A great read! For those of you that wonder how I could have moved from living above hundreds of acres of public hunting grounds and

moved into a city ( however small ) here is your answer. We'll have more than doubled our workforce and are considering cutting back

on our work area. Reason: Better and faster service and more profit. Justin has to take into consideration, "What if I drive a long

way and the job is a dud?" Been there and done that. Thank God my little city is one of the best or I couldn't talk so smart.

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4740173
11/12/14 08:33 PM
11/12/14 08:33 PM
iowa
R
redbone Offline
trapper
redbone  Offline
trapper
R

iowa
Great info guys, stuff us new guys don't think of.

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4740698
11/12/14 11:50 PM
11/12/14 11:50 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
Boy I couldn't take moving to town no matter what it pays. It's too crowded out here and I'm the only house in the section!

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4741354
11/13/14 01:54 PM
11/13/14 01:54 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Oh, yeah...I'm looking a good-sized (apparently) bird netting job where the general contractor seems to expect a bid off the blueprints.
How hard would ya work to get that job?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4741411
11/13/14 02:20 PM
11/13/14 02:20 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Travis, the square mile that we moved to in 1949 has less homes on it now than it did back then. That's not great news for our

business. On the bright side, they're planning 110 new homes a quarter mile south of where we live now and the price is $400,000.00

each. Now those people are called "customers"!

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4741465
11/13/14 02:58 PM
11/13/14 02:58 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Related to this topic..... I've seen some websites for bat control companies that have a form to fill out with house dimensions. Cost is then determined by linear footage of rooflines, etc.

Sadly, many people have no idea (and do zero research) on what is required for bat-proofing. The inspection reveals the problem areas, and THEN an actual cost can be provided. I've done bat exclusions on huge school buildings that had one or two small gaps, with no other potential entries at all. Cost reflects time and materials (and know-how), NOT how many thousand feet of roofline a structure has.

It's very common for a large 2 or 3 story home with very few issues to end up costing less than a 1.5 story home needing extensive sealing. It's the structure, ease or difficulty of access, and overall condition that determines cost, not the square or linear footage.

This is where the age-old discussion comes in regarding the difference between an "estimate" and an "inspection".

Ron Scheller

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4741633
11/13/14 05:03 PM
11/13/14 05:03 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Nobody ever considers heights when asking for a quote over the phone. Huge difference between a gable vent on a one story ranch and a two and a half contemporary.

[Linked Image]
Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4741756
11/13/14 06:33 PM
11/13/14 06:33 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
David, you are so,so, right! We will now ask how high a squirrel, raccoon, or anything else that resides high on a roof, might be.

There is a tremendous difference in time, risk, and a host of other complications that can occur with some of these both old and new,

very high, one family homes. I don't know about Georgia but our three and four story apartments are a heck of a lot easier than the

single family two and half stories. And I speak from experience: falling off a one story is way more fun than falling from a two and

half. ( Less hospital time, too }

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4742534
11/14/14 01:58 AM
11/14/14 01:58 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Very true Ron, Seeing the structure in person and doing a thorough inspection has been a learning experience in our first few years and a continuing struggle to determine all of the issues.

As you say a simple looking home can have a ton of issues while another can look from a distance like a real problem and then closer inspection reveals a well built and solid structure with just a couple of issues.

We've had more log cabin calls the last year and most of course are splitting, twisting, turning and and lacking chinking beyond my understanding, then I go to the next one expecting the same and find the folks truly have just two entry points on a 3 story home that are impacting them by allowing the bats in.

True as well as stated by the last three height, height, height!!! Access as well! Hills, trees, flat roof, pitched, how steep, what other obstacles? Everyone on the phone gets asked immediately how many stories their home is and the type of roof (in the desert here I get more flat roof than pitched depending on bats versus birds). If I've got a day or two before I go I'm pulling up google earth to view the home and just get some other thoughts about issues as well related to access.

I carry a bosch laser measurement tool, tiny little bugger with AAA batteries but can help me add to my notes about size of ladders, lift, materials needed, etc... Didn't buy it for this purpose originally but now it is always with me on a walk through of any site.

3 stories on a steep hill can end up being 4 and likewise being able to get a lift into an area has a ton of factors too.

The most important lesson I've learned during the first 3 years in this business has been that no detail is too small and that those small details will really make your life painful both in the pocket and otherwise if you fail to adapt and learn as you go. Every few months we try to list out the things we see constantly causing losses small or large and incorporate strategies to overcome them so they are mitigated.

Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4742998
11/14/14 12:38 PM
11/14/14 12:38 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
If they want a quote off blue prints fine, just figure square footage of the whole building and charge 19 bucks a foot. You will either get well or not have to deal with it. Those big jobs every one hopes for are usually the one's you wish you had never been a part of.

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: other people's measurements... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4745745
11/16/14 11:05 AM
11/16/14 11:05 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Very good conversation here; all good posts.
Ron, I had a guy with rental property in South St. Louis who called me. Had a quote in hand, wanted one from me. I went thru the whole spiel about needing to see the building, etc.; he was obviously looking for the cheapest possible way out of his problem.
Two weeks later, same guy calls back with the same situation. Guess what? I gave him the same answer!
...and I'm thankful that he didn't hire me!

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread