ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? #4726656
11/04/14 11:22 PM
11/04/14 11:22 PM
Oklahoma
coonfinder Offline OP
trapper
coonfinder  Offline OP
trapper

Oklahoma
Ok, so i have been assigned a 900 word essay for English class and am going to do it over trapping. I need some stats of how many fawns,adult deer, eggs of ground nesting birds, and other animals that are killed annually by fur barring predators. Thnaks in advance for yalls help. and ill also be posting this on some other forums and pages.

All life demands a struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy,selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life.
Re: raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? [Re: coonfinder] #4727498
11/05/14 01:11 PM
11/05/14 01:11 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
coonfinder - try "google scholar" it is an easy search of scientific literature including journals like JWM (journal of wildlife management) where you will
find many studies on a variety of predation by various species.

You will only be able to see abstracts on many papers but that is probably all you need for the essay. I'll paste a link here for you with a basic search. Statistics are of course only as good as the science behind them, an author ultimately is publishing based on what they were testing in terms of a theory...

example - I believe bobcats are killing 50% of all bobwhite quail chicks in sandoval county new mexico...

You can find stats suggested in many popular literature, but again, depends on who is writing it and what their goal is.

Try this search for some info....

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=white-tailed+deer+predation&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C32&as_sdtp=

You can adjust how old the works are in the left hand side of the search, it is very handy and taps into all major sources
of scientific pubs.

Predation is extremely varied I spent many many years working in research where predation often tied in either that of livestock
or wildlife, depends on the predators, the area, the prey, weather, etc... not unlike hunting really.

Good luck!

Justin

Re: raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? [Re: coonfinder] #4742400
11/13/14 11:29 PM
11/13/14 11:29 PM
Oklahoma
coonfinder Offline OP
trapper
coonfinder  Offline OP
trapper

Oklahoma
Well after alot of research and other things here is my essay! I have a seperate page that I wont post siting my resources just so you know.

Trapping, Ahhh… this delicate, controversial subject in which most all have some sort of opinion or another if thought about. Nest predation is recognized as the primary cause of nest failure and population decline for many songbirds, particularly in fragmented landscapes . Throughout the Midwest where fragmentation is extensive, rates of predation and nest parasitism can be so high that large areas serve as population sinks. Previous studies in Illinois have suggested that the entire state may be a sink for some songbirds. This is why trapping is a great, ( and may I add, in my opinion the best way to preserve/ manage the predator population.

Coyotes make a substantial dent in the fawn survival to adulthood ratio/percentiage!To determine some of the factors responsible for large losses of young fawns in the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) population on the Welder Wildlife Refuge in South Texas, radio transmitters were placed on fawns 1 to 12 days old. Thirty-four fawns were collared, and 47 during another stent. The fawns were relocated several times each week for about 60 days, or until death. Seventy-two percent of the fawns died during the study period. Of these deaths, 93 percent occurred in the first month of life and 7 percent in the next 30 days. The two major causes of mortality were predation (53 percent), mostly by coyotes (Canis latrans), and starvation and/or disease (16 percent). Accidents caused additional minor losses (2 percent), and 22 percent of the deaths were of undetermined origin, although coyotes had fed on the carcasses. Salmonellosis, a diarrhea of unknown etiology, and an abscess were some of the diseases involved. In several instances, sick fawns were observed daily; and the progress of their condition was recorded until death. These results indicate that predation and disease are potentially major causes of mortality of young fawns in this region, where a loss of over half the annual fawn crop during the first summer of life is not uncommon.
All types of furbears create nest/and young animal predation. A study was conducted to determine the predation of dummy nests of ground-nesting game birds by European wild hogs (Sus scrofa) and of other species when possible. One hundred nests were established for three consecutive years. One-half of the nests each year were established in areas containing high hog populations and the remainder in areas containing low hog populations. Nests were checked for predation during a 43-day period. The hog was a minor predator, in areas of high hog populations, destroying only 6 of 62 disrupted nests. None of the 69 disrupted nests in areas of low hog populations were destroyed by hogs. The percentage nests destroyed by species were as follows: snakes (Spp) (15.4), raccoons (Procyon lotor) (10.7), foxes (Vulpes fulva and Urocyon cineroargenteus) (9.0), opossums (Didelphis marsupialis) (8.2), crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) (5.6), dogs (Canis familiaris) (3.4), hog (2.6), and skunk (Mephitis mephitis) (0.9). Predation was generally higher in areas of low hog populations. Significantly higher predation by snakes (P < 0.10) in areas of low hog populations indicate hogs may reduce predation by snakes. Percentages of nests destroyed by predators each year for three consecutive years were 52 percent in 1966, 60 percent in 1967, and 55 percent in 1968. It is concluded that the European wild hog is a very minor nest predator and does not add additional predation to the nests of ground-nesting birds but replaces predation by other species. Predation of nests apparently depends upon the relative sizes of the predator populations and availability of other foods
Coyotes and foxes also cause considerable damage to wild turkeys! A decline in the population of eastern wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo silvestris) in southcentral Iowa necessitated more current estimates of population parameters. Survival of 126 eastern wild turkey hens in southcentral Iowa was investigated during 1993-96. Estimates of annual survival averaged 0.676 - 0.048% for adults and 0.713 - 0.125 for subadults. Mammalian predators, primarily coyotes (Canis latrans) and red fox (Vulpes fulva) accounted for 64% of all documented mortality. Age-specific annual survival distributions differed between years , but no difference was detected in survival between age classes across years (PSR = 0.49). Based on chronological dates, survival of adult hens differed among seasons across years (PSR = 0.03). However, seasonal survival was not different when estimates were based on hen behavior (PSR = 0.48). Risk of mortality for hens increased by 2.0% for every 100-meters increase in dispersal distance, decreased by 2.0% for every 10-hatchlings increase in home range size, and decreased by 3.5% for each 1.0% increase in proportion of home range in woody cover. Although the exact cause of the population decline remains unknown, we suggest it was more likely related to a decrease in production than changes in hen survival. Declining turkey populations would likely benefit more from management designed to increase reproduction rather than hen survival.

Here is some information of how trapping can help in putting a species back into a territory where they historicaly always were but after over harvesting were extinct from that area. After many decades of extinction, River Otters have returned to the state of Indiana. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources re-introduced otters beginning 15 years ago in hopes to re-establish the species. About 300 individuals were introduced, and otters are now found in over 70 counties throughout the state. In recent years, populations of river otters have been expanding throughout the United States. I’ve covered several articles about otter population comebacks, with the most recent stories coming from Texas, Missouri and West Virginia. The pattern is similar across all of these states. Otter numbers were historically depleted during periods of heavy hunting, trapping and expanding development. Otter populations are likely more susceptible to overharvest and habitat alterations than other furbearing species. There are other potential reasons for this decline that I’ve heard from other trappers, but most of the biologists seem to believe that unregulated harvest played a large role. With the advent of regulated trapping in its current form and more targeted wildlife management, otter numbers started to come back. Many states that completely lost otters in most areas started programs to re-introduce the species. This new wildlife management strategy has proven extremely successful. I think we’ll continue to see stories that say of the successful recover of otter populations in other states. Hopefully we’ll see future controlled trapping seasons in places where otter populations have recovered and can be responsibly harvested.
This is just my opinion of why trapping can be used as a responsible, usefull, and greatly successful tool to help manage animal populations, and predation on other animals.

All life demands a struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy,selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life.
Re: raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? [Re: coonfinder] #4743203
11/14/14 03:40 PM
11/14/14 03:40 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Coonfinder - Please note that the 7,000+ acres Welder Wildlife Refuge is a research/study area with a high deer population compared to neighboring ranchlands. Hunting and trapping is not allowed unless it is part of a research study. The 69% of fawn mortality due to predation, starvation, and diseases might be more closely related to rainfall and range conditions (food/cover) during the study period quoted.

Good luck with your essay.

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? [Re: coonfinder] #4743250
11/14/14 04:28 PM
11/14/14 04:28 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
That first sentence needs work.

Re: raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? [Re: DaveK] #4769251
11/29/14 06:56 PM
11/29/14 06:56 PM
South West Pennsylvania
W
Wingshot Offline
trapper
Wingshot  Offline
trapper
W

South West Pennsylvania
[quote=DaveK]That first sentence needs work. [/quote

Agreed. It leaves the reader with the impression that there's a one sided slant to what they are about to read. Otherwise it's a well done essay and be sure to include your bibliography and sources.

Re: raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? [Re: coonfinder] #5586213
07/21/16 04:28 AM
07/21/16 04:28 AM
UT
J
Jelly2 Offline
trapper
Jelly2  Offline
trapper
J

UT
Hi, guys! The issues discussed here is close to my interests and I reckon are worth attention. If you think over this as well, come here http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/essay-on-extinction-of-animals to get more additional information.

Re: raccoon/ predator stats for english essay? [Re: Jelly2] #5586982
07/21/16 09:10 PM
07/21/16 09:10 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Jelly2
Hi, guys! The issues discussed here is close to my interests and I reckon are worth attention. If you think over this as well, come here http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/essay-on-extinction-of-animals to get more additional information.

That link hurt my head just trying to read it, someone needs more time writing class/grammar

And it's anti man

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread