ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
snake boots? #4739826
11/12/14 05:06 PM
11/12/14 05:06 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Odd time of year I realize, but wanted to know how many of you who work and live/grew up in venomous snake country use "snake boots" versus chaps and other things available, or don't at all?

We were doing some late season bat surveys recently and weather was cool and wind was whipping and had two nice close interactions with 2 different western (prairie) rattlesnakes within 1/4 mile. The first was easily visible, the second I almost put my foot directly on top of.

I like rattlesnakes to be clear, just decided at that moment it might be prudent when working in unknown country that we don't spend as much time in to be wearing some guards. Ended up buying a pair for myself as well as for my better half.

On many forums for deer hunting and others I see various opinions, of course those who have been bitten seem to be of the mind that the protection is worth the insurance.

Just curious more than anything, David and some of you others who know snakes and are in good country. Though I'm in technically good snake country it is very rare that we cross paths with anything outside of the occasional diamondback (that we know of...)

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4739870
11/12/14 05:34 PM
11/12/14 05:34 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Never felt the need myself. Oh, I've had the occasional OH SHEEP DIP moment when I wouldn't object to a full suit of chain mail but all in all no real need. But then again I've worn leather boots as long as I can remember and 99% of hots I see are copperheads under two foot in length.

[Linked Image]
Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4739883
11/12/14 05:40 PM
11/12/14 05:40 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I do however lust after a pair of Russell Turtleskin Turkey Hunters.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/turtleskin-turkey-hunter/

[Linked Image]
Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4740004
11/12/14 07:00 PM
11/12/14 07:00 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Those look like good boots David. I found out on a deer hunters forum that justin boots (you'd think I'd know this already, lol) has a factory defect deal
at their TX location where you can buy very expensive boots hundreds of dollars a pair for less than a hundred bucks! Just due to little blems...

Both of the westerns we saw this one day were over 3' I think the main thing that went through my mind wasn't that there is a snake behind every bush, nor that they are all looking to put a bite on unless provoked, but that we survey in many habitat types and though we always think "be snake aware" it seems stupid to walk in tall grass and brush without believing your odds are going up on each outing.

Many guys who said they bought them on the other forums mentioned they hadn't seen another snake in bite distance since, but they felt good about the safety factor.

This is again more a precaution thing, the bulk of the visible snakes in our state have been non venomous (gopher, coachwhip, garter), I do get a number of calls for snakes in our urban work, however again most end up being non venomous and a smart phone texted pic ends most of those in a hurry (unless they are highly phobic).

One thing we noticed in shopping for the boots we did buy many refer to them as "resistant" versus "proof." Of course the other aspect is that statistics are that 90% of bites are below the knee, so you still have to watch your "assets" while in the field... lol!

I imagine as you mentioned David the leather boots that most wear for work will tend to be a good base layer on normal cases.

Another funny aspect was our local sportsman's warehouse we decided that day to make a stop there and just check to see what they had knowing amazon would be provide better prices.

The young guy who brought me a pair first asked if we carried protection.... My mind didn't go to guns which was a funny moment, but after I collected my sense of humor I realized he meant a pistol, to which I responded, I'm worried about an accidental bite, not about shooting the snake afterward.

He then mentioned this pistol that could be used with rat shot as a "non lethal" option to deter the snake, but then stated "but don't shoot it too close to your boot or leg." Which of course has me wondering how is this non lethal? Ha!

Told him, look we are just out surveying and won't be back to a site for a long time, if ever while the snakes are always a possibility out there.

A colleague was elk hunting recently and he loves and studies all kinds of herps.... He passes another hunter on the trail and the guy says "watch out for snakes, I shot 10 of them this morning already." To which the colleague said "Why?" Why was followed by a long silence as the guy thought about this...

I know we've discussed how many guys on this forum like snakes and try to educate folks while we all recognize in close proximity to human structures, yards, kids and pets it can be a risk that needs to be dealt with in some way.

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4740063
11/12/14 07:35 PM
11/12/14 07:35 PM
Ohio
Bushwack44 Offline
trapper
Bushwack44  Offline
trapper

Ohio
i never wear em

All men are created equal, some are just tougher, they're called trappers.

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4740070
11/12/14 07:44 PM
11/12/14 07:44 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I really don't think that Justin has encouraged people to gather up their belongings and flock to New Mexico. Not one iota!

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4741367
11/13/14 02:00 PM
11/13/14 02:00 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I bet Justin has some very good snake boots: Anaconda skin, I think, probably starting at $800 (that's just for the right boot, but if you buy the right, you get the left one for free!
Anybody ever see the 8' copperheads our customers are always telling us about?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4742537
11/14/14 02:08 AM
11/14/14 02:08 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Lol Wink! I've only myself wandered by (that I know of) 5 diamondback ranging from juvenile to adult, two prairie rattlesnakes (both adult), during 7 years of living in NM. None of these were in my yard, all were in "wild" settings in the desert where you'd expect them and rodents are plentiful. I've done urban snake calls and generally the caller has lived in the house 10-20 years and is seeing their first rattlesnake. Because they weren't there before? Certainly not, just that they didn't notice them or share the same space and time in the past.

The crack up is how folks believe and told me often last year that the fires (100+ miles away) must be why the snakes starting showing up.... Of course this is the answer to all urban wildlife far too often, "they must be driven down here because of the fire."

So don't not pack and travel to NM, it is an amazing state and we are thrilled to call it home!

(Dave S. - I ended up with a pair of rocky snake boots ~$150.00 and the wife a pair of bushnell's snake boots ~$150.00, though I was hoping for something plain brown I ended up having to get camp, hers look more like a good pair of horse riding boots)

On the note about size of snakes, I'm right there with you, we get the 5' long rattlesnakes all the time and larger, in reality though they have documented venomous snakes of this size in my area when you tell me it is over 3' and you are in an urban area, you are seeing a gopher snake 99.9% of the time.

Of course nowadays with exotic nut jobs all over our fair country, all bets are off on what you technically could see during the summer months... The first guy who tells me the snake has a hood is getting the number for the herpetologist at the local zoo....

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4742840
11/14/14 10:26 AM
11/14/14 10:26 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Justin, I see a lot of snakes in the 'hood and lots of them are wearing hoods, but a herpetologist wouldn't help.

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4742912
11/14/14 11:32 AM
11/14/14 11:32 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Can't say I "LIKE" snakes, but I don't just kill them unless their around the cabin/barn/dog pen, or for supper.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: snake boots? [Re: BigBob] #4743571
11/14/14 08:41 PM
11/14/14 08:41 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I take vacinations, wear my seat belt, wash my hands a lot, wear hard hats,safety glasses, condoms, cougar paws, tie off and wear snake boots when I am looking for hot snakes or tramping around where they have a reputation of being there. I'm not planning on ever proving I needed them but when I do I wear Dos Equis. Stay un bitten my friend.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4744446
11/15/14 11:51 AM
11/15/14 11:51 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey Paul, I got my very first snake bite this summer. It was one of those terrifying grass snakes about the size of a long

nightcrawler. I couldn't believe he bit me but I have to confess that most mosquito bites are more painful.

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4744533
11/15/14 01:11 PM
11/15/14 01:11 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Love the Dos Equis humor Paul! smile

Good advice!

Re: snake boots? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4745732
11/16/14 10:54 AM
11/16/14 10:54 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
So The Most Interesting Man in the World IS Paul! I should have noticed the resemblance.
Hey, Paul, can I have some of those knockout beauties that are always hanging all over you?
Wink, I have the same reaction to customers who are freaked out by a 6" snake ("but it's a snaaake! I want it gone!"...this from seemingly rational adults).

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread