ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bats #4706939
10/25/14 09:47 PM
10/25/14 09:47 PM
ne tennessee
K
kelly struble Offline OP
trapper
kelly struble  Offline OP
trapper
K

ne tennessee
anybody ever notice little browns(or any species)burrowing?I went on a job today and actually saw a bat drop down into a tunnel inside the blown in insulation,maybe 2 of em.

Masters Wildlife Control
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4706954
10/25/14 09:52 PM
10/25/14 09:52 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Yes, I've found big browns burrowed up in fiberglass batts (I know there's a joke in that for Winkleman). Peeling back the pink found layered insulation, guano, insulation, guano a regular shiite sandwich.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bats [Re: warrior] #4707026
10/25/14 10:18 PM
10/25/14 10:18 PM
ne tennessee
K
kelly struble Offline OP
trapper
trapper
K

ne tennessee
Its been cool in the evenings and at night.Think they may be hibernating so soon?

Masters Wildlife Control
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4707031
10/25/14 10:20 PM
10/25/14 10:20 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Not yet here.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4707510
10/26/14 08:13 AM
10/26/14 08:13 AM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
They can go into torpor pretty well on command....even for a short period. Stick em in a fridge...and it is good night.

Last edited by DaveK; 10/26/14 04:08 PM.
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4707599
10/26/14 09:54 AM
10/26/14 09:54 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
The insulation holes we see here too in the mountains mostly. In the species I work with they are using areas where a soring storm can drop temps immediately and if you aren't able to find a proper place to ride it out you might not make it, same for fall when we go from 70 degrees to 27 overnight in these areas. Usually see little bat sized dug outs in fiberglass "batt" insulation with a few bits of guano down there.

As Dave said bats can and do use torpor when needed as part of their daily life. Researchers for example studying WNS or other hibernation related issues put bats in temperature controlled comditions and bats immediately drop into winter mode.

Well documented too that many bats overwinter I'm structures though big Browns are most noted for this, many species are capable which is why late fall is a tricky time to exclude once you hit temps that could be limiting bats leaving the structure

In the southwest we've seen bats crawling under insulation to get out of a hot attic situation as well. Have watched several dozen Mexican free tailed bats crawl in under R-30 insulation where it was cooler on an attic floor to avoid the 120+ degree attic heat.

Definitely a thermally driven species.

At a recent conference some folks from Quebec were talking about two colonies of little brown that hibernated under a home I'm a basement.

Just another example of complications with ever assuming with any bats that normal is truly a word that should be used.

Justin

Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4708714
10/26/14 09:13 PM
10/26/14 09:13 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Very, very close....

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4713109
10/28/14 10:13 PM
10/28/14 10:13 PM
ne tennessee
K
kelly struble Offline OP
trapper
trapper
K

ne tennessee
thanks guys

Masters Wildlife Control
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4713617
10/29/14 06:04 AM
10/29/14 06:04 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Saw 2 mating yesterday on the other side of a gable vent screen. She got tired of him and started biting him to get him to leave her alone!

They go under insulation.

Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4714387
10/29/14 02:06 PM
10/29/14 02:06 PM
Cumbria England
C
coney catcher Offline
trapper
coney catcher  Offline
trapper
C

Cumbria England
Bats over here are totally protected, you cant touch or disturb them under any circumstances,even stop house conversions and extensions.

A mans heart hardens and grows cold when away from nature
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4714423
10/29/14 02:39 PM
10/29/14 02:39 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Your countrymen have bat worker licenses Coney. I have some colleagues over there. Populations are not what they are for most bats in the states this the restrictions and protections as I'm sure you know. There are some folks with amazing knowledge in how they resolve issues in the UK and others.

Looking forward to a European training trip in the next two years, saving our pennies. Some excellent professionals.

Justin

Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4725307
11/04/14 02:24 PM
11/04/14 02:24 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
TTT - Wanted to add a sidebar, I know this topic of bats overwintering in structures as they've been documented to do has come
up from time to time and Ron S. and others have shared good info on either when they stop excluding or when they leave one ways
on till spring weather and bat activity resumes.

Soo.... While most folks that have done this any length of time might already be set in their ways, I would suggest as someone just a few
years into this, that this issue of late fall exclusion is worth thinking through if you are trying to complete jobs and weather is getting below
bat activity being normal.

Personally I have a massive diversity of bats that don't exist in most of the midwest and northeast, so we have a multitude of factors we think
of depending on species and time of year, hibernation, maternity season, etc....

I generally only run into big brown bats in the mountains and many on log homes and traditional cabins. I've seen them still in fairly open cracks in
logs after snow has hit the ground, the question however would be are they gone before you exclude, or did they go further into the structure?

This year my winter was slow to show, but then jumped up and we are now down in the 20's overnight on a regular basis, however I am still seeing
big browns in homes I was asked to inspect and a few jobs I was inspecting one way valves installed during the start of this cold spell and there were
still bats there. Now before you go to the easiest logic that they got around my valves, these were long tube installations that were totally solid around the seal, thus only one way in or out of these large log cracks. Some of these bats were still in there more than 10 days following install which is what prompted this post to resurrect the idea of being very careful this time of year. While a single bat might not worry anyone very much, for me the idea of sealing any bat inside the structure when I could avoid it by time of year adjustment or leaving one ways, means I need to change my ways.

I feel lucky that I had Ron S., Eric A. and others to share early on a few years back and I've been cautious about late fall work and knowing when to call it and hold off till spring.

I hope folks that are new to this, embrace the idea that this is an important issue related to bat exclusion timetables and worth putting some time into assessing.

In situations where a wall void, or other hidden cavity might not allow you to see they are gone for sure, we of course are forced to assume, so I would encourage folks to be careful assuming if they are at the junction of fall and winter in their region and they are new to bat work.

Hope this sounds logical and not paranoia, when I look into a hole and the bat or bats are still there and temps are holding at 25 and below, exclusion isn't going to go as planned unless you leave your tubes or one ways till spring...

Anyway, maybe rambling, but hope it hits a few new folks where I wanted it to....

Justin

Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4725574
11/04/14 05:07 PM
11/04/14 05:07 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey Justin, just for my own interest; ( I have posted this before ) I had a job many years back, where I removed one of those fake

shutters in the spring of the year and when I did, the amount of large brown bats was impressive. It was an east facing shutter and

all the bats on the outside edges were dead. Not so, with the inside ones however. They were all still in hibernation, apparently,

and while some managed to fly briefly, most either fell or stayed stuck to the siding. I was dumbfounded! Could a decent size group

of large browns survive a Wisconsin winter underneath a simple shutter? This kind of flies in the face of everything I've been

taught about bats, but then my advice about women left a lot to be desired too!

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 11/04/14 06:54 PM.
Re: Bats [Re: kelly struble] #4726064
11/04/14 08:37 PM
11/04/14 08:37 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Wink,

I'll throw something your way when I get home late tonight, pulled in at a rest stop right now. An interesting sighting you had
and one that supports the idea that there are plenty of things we do not know about bats and their decision making process.

Justin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread