ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Got a call for a parrot on the loose... #4716190
10/30/14 01:57 PM
10/30/14 01:57 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline OP
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
So I got a call yesterday with a scarlet macaw parrot on the loose. The bird had been out for two days and wouldn't come home.
Guy says he's 80 ft up in a pine tree, and needs help getting him down. I think, wow, finally something besides a cat up a tree!

Lucky for me, my father owns a tree service. I grab a climber (no bucket truck access) and head that way. The customer swears the bird won't fly, and just hold out your hand and it will come to you. I'm thinking.... the bird won't fly.... but it's 80 ft up a tree after it just flew away. Okay... if you want to pay me....I'll give it the best effort.

Show up on scene to a hawk chasing the parrot around. Police show up not long after because the whole city limits is gathered outside. Police say "I'd shoot that hawk!" Obviously, I look at the police like he's crazy. The hawk finally lets us be, and we climb 4 different trees as this parrot keeps giving us the bird (pun intended crazy).

We never did catch that rascal. Customer was happy as all get out that we gave it our best shot. Calls like this make me wonder why I don't have a net gun on the truck. Anyone ever used one? Will it pay for itself in the long run?

Serving Ga's Fayette, Fulton, Coweta, and Clayton counties.
(404)583-4938
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716255
10/30/14 02:39 PM
10/30/14 02:39 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I would have had the owner bring out the birds cage with the door open. If the bird stays out much longer the hawk will be eating him for supper. Hawks are not seed eaters.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716260
10/30/14 02:46 PM
10/30/14 02:46 PM
Georgia
trapper
trapper

Georgia
I had him do that. He also had another parrot that would call to it while the one in the tree would often answer. Furthermore, I actually offered to do the entire process after dark for the same price. I thought the bird might be calmer for capture.

I'm sure it is gonna come back(if it doesn't get eaten)...but homeowner wanted me to come out immediately!

(404)583-4938
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716282
10/30/14 03:13 PM
10/30/14 03:13 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Good story! You did what you could, short of shooting the Parrot. I love to dream of ways to solve those once-in-a-career jobs: Spiderman's web shooter would come in handy. Or a frog tongue (shoots out, sticky on the end, retracts with target item). I've heard that handheld net guns are only useful to about 20'.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716325
10/30/14 03:40 PM
10/30/14 03:40 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Jeremy I've had the pleasure to have a variety of net throwing devices in my handed at one time or another.

I would love to own them all if money and need wasn't an issue.

The smallest contained unit might have done it for you it is the "talon" that is advertised fairly widely for our industry
animal control agencies and even police dept folks.

It is the cheapest entry level system that will expel a net with a small gas charge.

I've attempted to use this in real situations multiple times and the take home I have is if the species isn't fairly stable on the spot you
will literally spend more time trying to retrieve the net from whatever it can tangle on.

If your quarry is in it awesome and worth it, if not just a time suck.....

The larger net guns that use .308 blanks are widely used from aerial operations for large cervids and carnivores etc.... Can still be used for smaller fowl and fare but throws some serious weights and like any of those from there up they cost some serious bucks and you can behead or kill your quarry with the weights. Happensore often than folks like to admit.

The talon has small weights and is like a flashlight in size.

------

Now I'm going to winkleman on this post before someone says it...

No one tried "pretty bird, pretty bird" to get it to come down?

smile

Just had one here that folks called into the city we contract for. Many folks saw it but not possible to reach it.

I agree with evertt and stated so here as well, if you don't retrive it a coopers hawk will soon enough....

Justin

Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716429
10/30/14 04:42 PM
10/30/14 04:42 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Since everyone knows I'm going to chime in anyway, I'm 0 for 1 on these goofy parrot chases too. But I am really impressed with

the fact that Jeremy's dad owns some really cool vehicles and that Jeremy knows how to use them. I think you've got a jump on the

rest of us, Jeremy. My dad taught me about animals, but your dad actually has some of the tools needed to do something about them!

Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4716492
10/30/14 05:28 PM
10/30/14 05:28 PM
Georgia
trapper
trapper

Georgia
I appreciate the useful info, HD. I'd have to know a device well in order to use it on a very fragile bird, anyway. I made the homeowner sign a waiver, but no one wants something unforeseen happening, especially with a crowd watching.

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Since everyone knows I'm going to chime in anyway, I'm 0 for 1 on these goofy parrot chases too. But I am really impressed with

the fact that Jeremy's dad owns some really cool vehicles and that Jeremy knows how to use them. I think you've got a jump on the

rest of us, Jeremy. My dad taught me about animals, but your dad actually has some of the tools needed to do something about them!

Paul, I cut trees full-time before I went to college, got my Biology degree, and started my business. I think having the experience with trees helps in my business to a degree. It often comes up as a selling point to remove limbs hanging out over houses that animals are using for easy attic access. A commercial Stihl extendable pole-saw has made me a lot of money, and has won me some quotes along the way. You need a lot of tools in your pocket to do ADC work. I've been blessed to have access to some helpful tools and individuals along the way.

(404)583-4938
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716517
10/30/14 05:40 PM
10/30/14 05:40 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I love hearing about college grads in this business.

Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716667
10/30/14 06:49 PM
10/30/14 06:49 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Justin: Now I know why the parrot did not come down, it is Polly want a cracker not pretty bird! :>) JMO.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716734
10/30/14 07:13 PM
10/30/14 07:13 PM
Georgia
trapper
trapper

Georgia
It's about ten minutes from dark here, and I just got a call that the bird came home. The boy that owned it was about 14, and worked two years while going to school to save up 15 Benjamins. He's only had the bird six weeks! I kindly suggested clipping some feathers and will be sending them an article on how to do so.

(404)583-4938
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716760
10/30/14 07:22 PM
10/30/14 07:22 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
Tree work will make you lots of money in this business. When I quit tree's the 3 things I kept in my arsenal were 3 piece pruner pole, stihl powered pole saw and a Rayco 1625 super junior stump grinder. I sell stump removal weekly and a lot of times daily. That grinder will fit through most any gate. Those back yard stumps are an easy sell.

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716777
10/30/14 07:30 PM
10/30/14 07:30 PM
Georgia
trapper
trapper

Georgia
Travis, this is true! Those portable grinders are awesome, just a bit slow on the big stuff.

We subcontract stumps out. We found that it is cheaper for us not to have 60,00-100,000 in a vehicle and grinder plus pay all the maintenance and someone to run it.

(404)583-4938
Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4716800
10/30/14 07:38 PM
10/30/14 07:38 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey Jeremy, I'm as happy for that kid as you are just reading about it! Jeremy and Travis, just please don't tell my son P.J. about

tree work! I have enough trouble putting away all the stuff he orders now. If he ever learns that I spent some time in the landscape

business, I will be working for at least three years after I am gone!

Re: Got a call for parrot on the loose... [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4717449
10/30/14 11:20 PM
10/30/14 11:20 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
They are really slow on the big stuff Jeremy. I charge 5.00 an inch on job's I sell on wildlife job's. I have an older machine I think I paid 7500 for it. It's long since paid for its self. I just like to play with any kind of equipment and if it makes a little money even better.

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread