ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My fun day, beekeeping school. #4707010
10/25/14 10:13 PM
10/25/14 10:13 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Well today was our club's annual fall short course for beginners. Had 24 grown folks interested in becoming beekeepers. Eight hours of classroom beekeeping basics. As president of the club I was in charge plus I taught the hive manipulation portion.
This was the rowdiest bunch we've had in the five years we've been doing spring and fall classes. I think my brother the junior high principal has it easier. They came in as green as they get. If it wasn't asked once it was asked a dozen times and reworded several more, how many queens in the hive or if I buy bees does the queen come with them or is that extra.
One knucklehead wanted to entertain us with how his daddy did it. I swear I wanted to tell him nope but my daddy has one that'll make two of those.
Fortunately between myself and our local bee equipment supplier we managed to beat them into somewhat submission and by the end of the day were getting good questions from most indicating something was registering.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4707018
10/25/14 10:15 PM
10/25/14 10:15 PM
Tn
Jerryclower Offline
trapper
Jerryclower  Offline
trapper

Tn
You should have told them africainized bees make the best honey..LOL

Life time member NRA
Life time member TNFA ASSOC.

Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4707566
10/26/14 09:24 AM
10/26/14 09:24 AM
Shreveport, La.
T
T.Smith Offline
trapper
T.Smith  Offline
trapper
T

Shreveport, La.
We are getting more and more people interested in bees in louisiana also. Makes for a good nuc business also with them all needing bees when they catch the fever

Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4707693
10/26/14 11:20 AM
10/26/14 11:20 AM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Well crud,

I wish I would've known about this! Would've loved to have come out!

Serving Ga's Fayette, Fulton, Coweta, and Clayton counties.
(404)583-4938
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4707741
10/26/14 11:56 AM
10/26/14 11:56 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
It would be interesting to see IF you could get people interested in keeping bees in a urban setting. We need all the bees we can get. The owner of the hive would bring the hive to the house and place it and the owner could watch the bees and kids learn something about bees etc. Maybe give the owner some honey at the end of the season. Maybe made smaller hives. Just something to think about. It could start in the local school or 4-H. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4707979
10/26/14 02:52 PM
10/26/14 02:52 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: Jeremy Ledford
Well crud,

http://www.henrycountybeekeepers.org/

Jeremy, we have a spring short course in February if you're interested. I'd be real glad to see you there. We also meet once a month on the second Tuesday at 7pm. Also there is a a group trying to get set up in Fayette county. Coweta has a well established club as well. The Tara association is the oldest in the area and meets in Forest Park. Spalding has a brand new club in the Potato Creek Association, of which I am also a director.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: Getting There] #4707982
10/26/14 02:56 PM
10/26/14 02:56 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: Everet
It would be interesting to see IF you could get people interested in keeping bees in a urban setting. We need all the bees we can get. The owner of the hive would bring the hive to the house and place it and the owner could watch the bees and kids learn something about bees etc. Maybe give the owner some honey at the end of the season. Maybe made smaller hives. Just something to think about. It could start in the local school or 4-H. JMO

The Metro Atlanta Beekeepers Association meets at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and has over a hundred members who mostly live within the perimeter. There's alot of urban beeks in Hotlanta.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4707996
10/26/14 03:07 PM
10/26/14 03:07 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: warrior
Well crud,

http://www.henrycountybeekeepers.org/

Jeremy, we have a spring short course in February if you're interested. I'd be real glad to see you there. We also meet once a month on the second Tuesday at 7pm. Also there is a a group trying to get set up in Fayette county. Coweta has a well established club as well. The Tara association is the oldest in the area and meets in Forest Park. Spalding has a brand new club in the Potato Creek Association, of which I am also a director.

Very cool, I'll plan on attending if it works out. I literally know nothing about bees, but would love to get a hive or two going!

(404)583-4938
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708460
10/26/14 07:33 PM
10/26/14 07:33 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Now is the best time to get started. Winter is down time and the season starts early in late winter. Many want to start in the spring just to realize they are already behind the ball on it.
This is the better time to start because you can be doing all your study work, ordering of equipment and materials plus bees (currently both packages and nucs sell out six months in advance), building your boxes, and attending meetings in preparation.
If you're ready to get bees or just wanting to learn let me know and I'll be glad to help.

BTW, plan on two to start. Two is one and one is none.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708476
10/26/14 07:38 PM
10/26/14 07:38 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Now is the best time to get started. Winter is down time and the season starts early in late winter. Many want to start in the spring just to realize they are already behind the ball on it.
This is the better time to start because you can be doing all your study work, ordering of equipment and materials plus bees (currently both packages and nucs sell out six months in advance), building your boxes, and attending meetings in preparation.
If you're ready to get bees or just wanting to learn let me know and I'll be glad to help.

BTW, plan on two to start. Two is one and one is none.

I appreciate the help, David. I won't be able to take on any more projects until the first week of December, though. Will that be too late?

Will something like this get me started? (I know zero. Literally)
http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=941

Last edited by Jeremy Ledford; 10/26/14 07:41 PM.

(404)583-4938
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708510
10/26/14 07:50 PM
10/26/14 07:50 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
No, if you buy bees they won't be ready until sometime in april. So as long as you have your boxes (two deeps and two tops and bottoms plus a couple supers per) by then plus your tools you'll be fine. Look up Busters Bees, that's Fran and Buster Lane of Jonesboro, they are the local equipment supplier in our area. Buster also sells nucs.
Usually we recommend new beeks buy most of this stuff but if you have the tools and are a woodworker you can make most of your woodenware. And if you're willing you can work bees withing nothing but a smoker and a veil. The smoker is about the only item I cannot make myself though I even know a workaround or two to that.
You don't even have to buy bees (I never have) if you catch swarms or do cutouts but where is a new guy to learn how to do this. Kind of the cart before the horse.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708535
10/26/14 08:01 PM
10/26/14 08:01 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I like that website. Thanks! I always try to buy local if I can.
I don't do any bee work at all. (More for you!)
I have all the tools and most likely all the skill to make my own boxes. But with no knowledge of bees or equipment, I'll probably just buy the start up gear and then build my own woodenware from there.

(404)583-4938
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708643
10/26/14 08:39 PM
10/26/14 08:39 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
That kit includes this for a one colony/hive set up. I took the liberty to make notations on what you really need especially since you will be starting two colonies.

1 - Painted Assembled Telescoping Metal Cover (need two, easily made)
2 - Painted Assembled Hive Bodies w/frames & Plasticell foundation (hive bodies or deep supers, called deeps, are used to house the brood chamber. In this area most run only single deeps (per colony) so two will suffice though having a third handy is useful. If you intend to run double deeps then buy/make two per colony. Boxes are easily made from standard one by lumber or even plywood with nothing but a basic table saw or over arm saw. The frames with the multiple milling cuts cannot be made more economically than the less than a dollar per price when bought in bulk.)
1 - Inner Cover (need one per colony so two needed)
1 - Painted Assembled Bottom Board (one per colony two needed)
1 - Bee Brush (not needed, useful but a paint brush will suffice if you even use a brush, I don't)
1 - Metal 10" Hive Tool (yes, the basic hive tool is the only item that can be found locally off the shelf)
1 - Smoker 4"x7" Stainless Steel w/shield (a must have, always buy a quality stainless one not a cheap chinese fall apart import)
2 - 1 lb. of Smoker Fuel (NO, you can burn any dry organic matter. Pine straw is everywhere)
1 - Entrance Feeder (yes, to start eventually you'll need some way to top feed but not to start)
1 - Dadant Zipper Veil Suit (your choice, these most economical is the Mann Lake economy jacket the best is the Ultrabreeze beesuit)
1 - Dadant Plastic Helmet (no, if you go with the Mann Lake or other style that has a Sheriff style veil)
1 - Economy Leather Gloves (YES, all new beeks need to wear gloves at all times)
1 - Hive and Honey Bee Book (good book but not needed, definitely a recommended read though)
1 - First Lessons in Beekeeping Book (YES, a must read for all beeks. Dr Delaplane can be an arse but he knows his stuff.)
1 - 1 year subscription to the American Bee Journal (really nice but can be over the head of the new guy. I won't say no but not a requirement.)
1 - Medications Brochure (nice but all the supply houses pass out handouts for free)

Also, buying painted equipment means not only paying for the paint but the labor to paint AND ASSEMBLE since only assembled equipment can be painted. Buying unassembled equipment saves costs plus can be shipped in smaller boxes. Buying locally saves shipping.
Buster isn't the only supplier. Brutz English is down in Barnesville and there is the Fat Bee Man up in Lula, one down around Macon and Rossman Apiaries down in Moultrie (I highly recommend his cypress woodenware as it's all I use other than what I make myself).

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: Jeremy Ledford] #4708669
10/26/14 08:56 PM
10/26/14 08:56 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
But with no knowledge of bees or equipment, I'll probably just buy the start up gear and then build my own woodenware from there.

That's exactly why we usually recommend a new beek to buy. I feel bad telling someone to go spend a chunk of money for something that decide to quit in a year or two. It also sets a bar to entry that discourages many. This is especially so when I know so many ways to keep costs down. But you got to get the knowledge somewhere.
If you want to make as much as you can all the woodenware dimensions are on the bee source site. www.beesource.com I can also highly recommend the bee master site. www.beemaster.com That site is moderated by Rob Overton who did many of the bee removal podcasts with Robb Russell and the developer of the Bushkill Bee Vac.
If you decide to make your own I have extra boxes your welcome to use as templates. The only caution is to not fudge the dimensions as everything is based on the 5/16" beespace. Anything larger than 3/8" the bees will build comb in and less than a 1/4" they glue up with propolis. As long as the 5/16" is maintained the bees use it as a passageway and every part of a standard dimension Langstroth is completely interchangeable.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708685
10/26/14 09:04 PM
10/26/14 09:04 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
That kit includes this for a one colony/hive set up. I took the liberty to make notations on what you really need especially since you will be starting two colonies.

1 - Painted Assembled Telescoping Metal Cover (need two, easily made)
2 - Painted Assembled Hive Bodies w/frames & Plasticell foundation (hive bodies or deep supers, called deeps, are used to house the brood chamber. In this area most run only single deeps (per colony) so two will suffice though having a third handy is useful. If you intend to run double deeps then buy/make two per colony. Boxes are easily made from standard one by lumber or even plywood with nothing but a basic table saw or over arm saw. The frames with the multiple milling cuts cannot be made more economically than the less than a dollar per price when bought in bulk.)
1 - Inner Cover (need one per colony so two needed)
1 - Painted Assembled Bottom Board (one per colony two needed)
1 - Bee Brush (not needed, useful but a paint brush will suffice if you even use a brush, I don't)
1 - Metal 10" Hive Tool (yes, the basic hive tool is the only item that can be found locally off the shelf)
1 - Smoker 4"x7" Stainless Steel w/shield (a must have, always buy a quality stainless one not a cheap chinese fall apart import)
2 - 1 lb. of Smoker Fuel (NO, you can burn any dry organic matter. Pine straw is everywhere)
1 - Entrance Feeder (yes, to start eventually you'll need some way to top feed but not to start)
1 - Dadant Zipper Veil Suit (your choice, these most economical is the Mann Lake economy jacket the best is the Ultrabreeze beesuit)
1 - Dadant Plastic Helmet (no, if you go with the Mann Lake or other style that has a Sheriff style veil)
1 - Economy Leather Gloves (YES, all new beeks need to wear gloves at all times)
1 - Hive and Honey Bee Book (good book but not needed, definitely a recommended read though)
1 - First Lessons in Beekeeping Book (YES, a must read for all beeks. Dr Delaplane can be an arse but he knows his stuff.)
1 - 1 year subscription to the American Bee Journal (really nice but can be over the head of the new guy. I won't say no but not a requirement.)
1 - Medications Brochure (nice but all the supply houses pass out handouts for free)

Also, buying painted equipment means not only paying for the paint but the labor to paint AND ASSEMBLE since only assembled equipment can be painted. Buying unassembled equipment saves costs plus can be shipped in smaller boxes. Buying locally saves shipping.
Buster isn't the only supplier. Brutz English is down in Barnesville and there is the Fat Bee Man up in Lula, one down around Macon and Rossman Apiaries down in Moultrie (I highly recommend his cypress woodenware as it's all I use other than what I make myself).

Gahlee, I greatly appreciate all of your help!
It only makes sense to buy cypress. His prices seem more reasonable than I would have believed, too! Do you happen to know the product number of the cypress hive that you use from his website?
http://www.gabees.com/store/index.php?cPath=22

(404)583-4938
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708722
10/26/14 09:16 PM
10/26/14 09:16 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
A1C deep and A5C medium. These are his select hand picked but the commercial are just as good. The only difference is select is clear and commercial can have tight knots. Since I don't paint and like the look I spend the extra for select. Fran and Buster carry these as well. If I need a few I pick up from them. Larger orders I either drive down to Moultrie or meet Fred at one of the state meetings.
I use mediums for supers, most in this area use shallows. Some use all mediums for complete interchangeability. You can use all deeps but a deep full of honey is upwards of ninety pounds.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708764
10/26/14 09:29 PM
10/26/14 09:29 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Almost forgot, Fran was telling me yesterday that they have a source for woodenware out of NC making boxes out of good quality yellow pine. The only caveat is that it needs to be assembled as soon as you get it otherwise it might move in storage. This was during a discussion of rising costs. According to her Western Bee, the main manufacturer of woodenware in the country and Dadant's supplier, told her that the availability of quality white pine suitable for beeware is getting questionable and that costs are going up. Fred Rossman said the very same thing of cypress when he was up to talk to the club a couple months ago.

Also look at Kelleys Bees up in Kentucky. I order alot from them and all of my frames and foundation as I think they make the best frames. Brushy Mountain is another good one.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708785
10/26/14 09:35 PM
10/26/14 09:35 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
You're the man. If any further questions closer to order time (and I will) I'll PM you.
Thank you sir!!

(404)583-4938
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708788
10/26/14 09:37 PM
10/26/14 09:37 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Better yet call me anytime 678 572 8269.

[Linked Image]
Re: My fun day, beekeeping school. [Re: warrior] #4708869
10/26/14 10:08 PM
10/26/14 10:08 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Thanks. I'll also send some bee work your way if I get anything.

(404)583-4938
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread