ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
single vs double door #4697808
10/20/14 07:17 PM
10/20/14 07:17 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Other than cost, is there a reason you would prefer one to the other?

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4697852
10/20/14 07:42 PM
10/20/14 07:42 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Double door since a positive set works whether the animal is in or out. Otherwise you need two traps facing opposite directions. Plus a double door can be a single but a single can't be a double.
The only thing better is a double catch.

[Linked Image]
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4697857
10/20/14 07:45 PM
10/20/14 07:45 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I live in a area where a lot of people trap raccoon and skunks and let them go out of town. They get trap shy real fast. I just like giving them another way into the trap. Easier to bait. But a good double door is heaver. In most cases a chipmunk will not trigger a double door that has the wire hanging down. But remember is am a small operator. JMO.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4697876
10/20/14 07:53 PM
10/20/14 07:53 PM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Unless length was a concern in order to stack many cages on a truck, I cant think of a reason to go to a single door trap except for cost. Even if space was a primary concern, I'm learning that shorter powered door traps do quite well on just about everything. I'm loving my advanced traps from Kirk, and with the doors operating simultaneously, I could always set just one door open instead of them both. I think my days of buying single doors are over.

With double door traps we can obviously catch animals coming from multiple locations. It also lets the animal see all the way through the trap, instead of looking at cage wire in the back.

If you're looking for a "do it all" trap, Check out the versatile trap from www.advancedtrap.com . I can see using mine on den sets for dillos, woodchucks, and skunks. Chimney/soffit sets for coons is another option. I may have to see if I can squeeze a beaver in one soon, too. The possibilities are truly endless.

Serving Ga's Fayette, Fulton, Coweta, and Clayton counties.
(404)583-4938
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4697952
10/20/14 08:26 PM
10/20/14 08:26 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
single door for me, but my baiting methods are different than most of you.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698110
10/20/14 09:24 PM
10/20/14 09:24 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Jonesie, if I'm doing a straight baited set then I'm with you one door open only. But the convenience of one trap for everything is best done with one of Kirk's double door traps. Just cause it got two doors doesn't mean you have to use both of them.

[Linked Image]
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698126
10/20/14 09:30 PM
10/20/14 09:30 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Kind of a dumb question, if you ask me. What are you trapping? Will Jonesie catch more in a single door than warrior will in a

two-door? Who knows? They don't exactly live next door to each other. Do I love a two door trap? You bet! What is my favorite job in

the whole wide world? Answer: Catching anything running around in a building! Would I use a two door trap? Not so far in 27 years! If

I have to go into a house to catch a red squirrel that is driving the owners up a wall, ( Like I did a couple of days ago ) would I

use a two-door cage? Probably never in a million years! Would I set a two-door over a woodchuck hole? Yes, every time! I would even

drive home to pick up a Comstock if I had used them all up. You use what works for you, not what works for me!

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698143
10/20/14 09:37 PM
10/20/14 09:37 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
sigh....

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698158
10/20/14 09:44 PM
10/20/14 09:44 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Okay Dave, why is it that you can say the same thing in a single word, that I need two paragraphs for?

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698164
10/20/14 09:45 PM
10/20/14 09:45 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
It typed a really smart reply a few times. Ultimately, I was speechless.

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698180
10/20/14 09:50 PM
10/20/14 09:50 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Paul, I wouldn't set a trap for armadillos that wasn't a double door walk through as all armadillo trapping is walk through sets. But ninety percent of the time for raccoons and one hundred percent of the time for feral cats I use only one door to keep them focused on the bait.

The beauty of the advanced trap is I have the option of both in the same trap. Yes, I pay a little more and carry a little more weight but no driving back to the house for a different trap.

[Linked Image]
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698184
10/20/14 09:51 PM
10/20/14 09:51 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Jonesie, will flat whip my arse with a havajunk no less.

[Linked Image]
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698189
10/20/14 09:52 PM
10/20/14 09:52 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Mercy.

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698211
10/20/14 09:58 PM
10/20/14 09:58 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
My big question here is: Most of my family are plumbers and despite what you may think, they are really good plumbers that work for

great companies and probably make as much as we do working less hours. My question is: Do they have half as much fun harassing their

fellow plumbers as we do?

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698219
10/20/14 10:01 PM
10/20/14 10:01 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Perhaps this group has the passion.......whereas they have the professionalism (even with butt cracks).

Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698225
10/20/14 10:04 PM
10/20/14 10:04 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Wow Dave, Great answer! Did you by any chance see my cousin's husband fixing our water softener?

Re: single vs double door [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4698542
10/21/14 01:49 AM
10/21/14 01:49 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Kind of a dumb question, if you ask me.

The only dumb questions are ones you dont have the answers to, but next time I will be sure to exclude you from the discussion.

Re: single vs double door [Re: Getting There] #4698596
10/21/14 06:30 AM
10/21/14 06:30 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
In most cases a chipmunk will not trigger a double door that has the wire hanging down. But remember is am a small operator. JMO.

If it is a body grip trigger just hang the bait on the trigger. If the trigger needs to be more sensitive lift the dog a little after setting. You can also make the target area smaller by placing sticks or rods on each side of the trigger.

Another thing you can do to fine tune your set, is to use a four way trigger, that just has to be bumped. A BMI works best with a matched dog for the trigger, especially for feral cats.

With a 4 way trigger you can just place the bait under the trigger that is hung low. The squirrel will bump the trigger with its tail as it moves and spins after the bait or moves between the wires.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698665
10/21/14 08:02 AM
10/21/14 08:02 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I was going to just leave the short answer be, but this morning I am in one of those moods, I would rather be duck hunting today than working( the teal and woodies are here in the big numbers and I want to get mud on me) so I need to get the aggressiveness out before I talk to a few of my customers. So I will have the passion without professionalism with you all.

Maybe I am wrong and if I am I will apologize but DaveK first sigh and second mercey must mean you are bored with this post. or perhaps maybe I am just a deadhead this morning and things are going right over my head. throwback asked a question because of what ever reason. it is of importance to him. he asked it in a nice way. so we should give answers if one wants to or don't read the post. Again maybe I am a dead head this morning and I need to say I am reading this wrong.

Kirk hit the nail on the head. most of us, deal within a little bubble, otherwise known as our area. and we learn that area or bubble real well, but we mistakenly take our bubble as every where. I have had the privilege to work and trap in many different areas, and also have had the privilege to get my butt kicked by animals in those areas. they showed me that I thought more highly of myself than I should of and put me down a peg or 2. How we do things is based on the bubble, our background and how lazy or full of energy we are that day. I tend to go to single doors because when I started in this stuff the only double door was a hav a heart junk trap. The single door traps, woodstream, Williams, custom, later came safeguard, and the many more in the mid 80's was good traps that could hold a coon. The difference between drop lock and spring loaded doors was the only question. Fur trappers tended to go with the drop locks and adc leaned to the spring, and again that was because the trapper did not have to take the trap off the roof or out of the attic where adc had to worry about door opening. So I learn my style of setting traps. I don't just put a cage down I am more analytical about cage trap placement than I am about my snare placement, and in my area I have a lot of multiple coons in the homes and in the early trapping season, Unless the target animal is a older male coon, then it will be one, every squirrel job I have is going to be a family group of 4 to 7 squirrels. if I set a double door trap back in those days, at the family group job, I would get a lot of sprung traps due to the 2 or 3 animals trying to get the baits from both ends of the trap at the same time. I would shut one door but because of the firing and trigger so sloppy and the cost of those trap, I learned to trap a certain way with more than one dependable single door trap. As stated above by someone, I am also in an area where every homeowner has a cage trap, catches animals and lets them go. so trap shyness and smart is a common thing. so I learned to catch the animal by letting it do what it wants to do, rather than me trying to make it do what I want it to. I have Kirks and Jims traps. And I like them both. And will be in the future getting more. But for me, If I have a groundhog that I know is in a one hole den, I will force it, but it will be a single door 7 x 8 x24 shoved down in the hole. if I don't know if the groundhog is there, then I may place Jims or Kirks trap there, unless I think it is 2 or more down there and I will place more than one trap. This year every job had 2 to 4 ground hogs at the site for some reason well past the normal family group time frames.

I was just in NY giving a wildlife talk and Mike Goldstein from Woodstream was there. We go way back probably close to 25 years now and really have a good time messing with each other, and have done many talks at the same venues. He knows I hate the hav a junk double door and warns the group if he is speaking before me to not listen to me about that trap LOL but that trap is still one of the top selling traps they have. so someone is buying them. By the way warrior I am a safeguard user on the single door and I make my own drop door LOL Hey By the way if any of you are bored with this post, then better not come to the wct because I have 2 session to give on the dumb squirrel so you will really be sleeping there. OK now I am feeling better time to go talk to Mr and Mrs Butt head.

Last edited by Jonesie; 10/21/14 08:07 AM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: single vs double door [Re: Throw Back] #4698718
10/21/14 08:50 AM
10/21/14 08:50 AM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I am annoyed with the constant...my trap is better than your trap...contained in multiple threads of late. Frankly, this type of gorilla marketing completely turned me off. It started with the hsus-Toma thread. Call it marketing gone wild...and it backfired. My appologies to the answer seekers. Ron...I am a little bored with the same questions, but I do appreciate reading your posts.

Maybe I could use a lot more duck hunting and a lot less tman.

Last edited by DaveK; 10/21/14 09:27 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread