ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pack rats and bats #4688358
10/14/14 11:36 AM
10/14/14 11:36 AM
Kamiah ID
N
Native Offline OP
trapper
Native  Offline OP
trapper
N

Kamiah ID
i started adc in lewiston idaho recently and there are 2 critters I haven't had experience in, pack rats and bats can someone offer advise on the methods of taking care of these? Thank you

you cook good rabbit pilgrim
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4688376
10/14/14 11:48 AM
10/14/14 11:48 AM
Georgia
Jeremy Ledford Offline
trapper
Jeremy Ledford  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Is this just for knowledge or are you dealing with these together on a job?

Do a search on this forum and you'll find plenty of stuff on all things bats.

Serving Ga's Fayette, Fulton, Coweta, and Clayton counties.
(404)583-4938
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4688383
10/14/14 11:53 AM
10/14/14 11:53 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
The search is a good place to start as was posted. Lots to read there, with bats you are looking at exclusion where you exclude the colony from the cabinet home you are dealing with and seal it, this sounds far simpler than it is.

We don't deal much with wood rats (pack rats) but those I have involved trapping and some preventative measures to enhance keeping them out.

That is a very very very simplified answer, again do some looking using the search tool. Put you time at no older than 3 years and no newer than 2 days, you'll get a lot, however remember anything you read on a forum is only what folks are saying, some is spot on fact other will be opinion or conjecture. Ultimately gaining the skills you need to work with these two species is like anything experience, knowledge and other factors including your skills. Working with bats for example knowing what will and what won't keep a structure sealed is half the battle on top of understanding evicting them properly.

People are willing to share but usually specifics are helpful.

Best,

Justin

Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4688690
10/14/14 03:54 PM
10/14/14 03:54 PM
Kamiah ID
N
Native Offline OP
trapper
Native  Offline OP
trapper
N

Kamiah ID
Right now I am just preparing for these critters as I do expect calls for them

you cook good rabbit pilgrim
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4688725
10/14/14 04:36 PM
10/14/14 04:36 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have alot of experience catching pack rats. I have to catch them to keep most of them out of my cat sets. Rat snap traps and small cage traps will catch most of them over time. They can be averse to some things over time as you will find out as you get more acquainted with them.

Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4688736
10/14/14 04:45 PM
10/14/14 04:45 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Justin, I could probably get some kind of answer looking it up on the Internet but your answers are always more fun and I can put

a face to them. Anyway, it's about rats. My very first ADC job ( I didn't realize it back then ) was catching Norway rats that had

invaded the neighbor's corn crib. 25 cents apiece! I made a small fortune! The next rat I bumped into was our native Wisconsin rat

that we called the "water rat" and we would occasionally catch them in traps set for muskrats. I am guessing that what we were

catching was actually the native wood rat, correct? Here is my question: Are there any more wild rats, east of the Mississippi,

besides these two? ( And don't ask me why, but my two oldest grandsons had rats as pets and not wanting to let down my grandkids, I

had these white rats crawling all over me and I can tell you honestly, nothing can clean your ears out as well as a good rat!) I am

not making this up.

Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4688929
10/14/14 06:57 PM
10/14/14 06:57 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
I have had a few roof rat job's Paul. About as common as flying squirrels here though.

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4689099
10/14/14 08:42 PM
10/14/14 08:42 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
bad karma Offline
trapper
bad karma  Offline
trapper

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Here is my question: Are there any more wild rats, east of the Mississippi,

besides these two?

Allegany Wood Rats in far western Md. Not around me. They are endangered due to raccoon roundworms.
Rice rats here are common near the water however they seldom do any damage except to DP baits.

Morgan Bennett.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4697334
10/20/14 12:56 PM
10/20/14 12:56 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Justin, I could probably get some kind of answer looking it up on the Internet but your answers are always more fun and I can put

a face to them. Anyway, it's about rats. My very first ADC job ( I didn't realize it back then ) was catching Norway rats that had

invaded the neighbor's corn crib. 25 cents apiece! I made a small fortune! The next rat I bumped into was our native Wisconsin rat

that we called the "water rat" and we would occasionally catch them in traps set for muskrats. I am guessing that what we were

catching was actually the native wood rat, correct? Here is my question: Are there any more wild rats, east of the Mississippi,

besides these two? ( And don't ask me why, but my two oldest grandsons had rats as pets and not wanting to let down my grandkids, I

had these white rats crawling all over me and I can tell you honestly, nothing can clean your ears out as well as a good rat!) I am

not making this up.
We have roof rats in Virginia- I've picked up a dead one. I read in Pest Management Professional- They are also in Indiana.

Last edited by run; 10/20/14 03:32 PM.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4697391
10/20/14 01:50 PM
10/20/14 01:50 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
We have several species of new world rats and mice but by and large other than the eastern wood rat (pack/trade/wood rats are just subspecies of the same species) the whitefooted/deer mice and occasionally the hispid cotton rat I never see them.

In my experience wood rats are solitary by nature and rarely are an issue in occupied structures. More often I find them in seasonally occupied structures like hunting/fishing camps, campers, or outbuildings. These are usually associated with lightly forested or old field type habitats. Wood rats in my area feed heavily on acorns, mostly water and willow oaks.
As for trapping I find them to be push overs compared to roof or norway rats. Usually their natural curiosity is enough to get them in the trap but fruit based baits seem to work best. That said though they seem to have a much better sense about them when pinched so avoid glue boards or other methods that can result in catch and release.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: warrior] #4697507
10/20/14 03:34 PM
10/20/14 03:34 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted By: warrior
We have several species of new world rats and mice but by and large other than the eastern wood rat (pack/trade/wood rats are just subspecies of the same species) the whitefooted/deer mice and occasionally the hispid cotton rat I never see them.

In my experience wood rats are solitary by nature and rarely are an issue in occupied structures. More often I find them in seasonally occupied structures like hunting/fishing camps, campers, or outbuildings. These are usually associated with lightly forested or old field type habitats. Wood rats in my area feed heavily on acorns, mostly water and willow oaks.
As for trapping I find them to be push overs compared to roof or norway rats. Usually their natural curiosity is enough to get them in the trap but fruit based baits seem to work best. That said though they seem to have a much better sense about them when pinched so avoid glue boards or other methods that can result in catch and release.
Are these fruit-based baits homemade?

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4697542
10/20/14 03:59 PM
10/20/14 03:59 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Sometimes but mostly commercial. Jameson's Peaches and Cream and On Target Very Berry are my preferences.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pack rats and bats [Re: Native] #4697596
10/20/14 04:41 PM
10/20/14 04:41 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Pack rats invade mobile homes,BBQ's and pool pumps,,,ect. here,,,, Clean outs suck because of the cactus they build out of

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread