ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Have you FAILED? #4643713
09/11/14 09:22 PM
09/11/14 09:22 PM
ohio foothills
snare1 Offline OP
trapper
snare1  Offline OP
trapper

ohio foothills
I have contemplated this question, on my first job for Skunks I always avoided the skunk jobs but I decided it was time to give it a try, so I did the job and did not Fail. I know that I have the confidence to catch almost any critter that walks BUT THERE WILL be a day that all of us takes a job and we get outsmarted and we fail, after you take the money and then FAIL TO FINISH WITH A CATCH how do you work it out with a customer?

Men are born with two eyes, but with one tongue, in order that they should see twice as much as they say. OSTA UTK ,, Chicken Lil All Call lure.
Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4643808
09/11/14 10:05 PM
09/11/14 10:05 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Snare1,

This topic has been hit before if I remember right.

The types of answers included some questions.

1) is the animal still there and you failed to catch it?

2) is the animal gone or appears gone in which case you didn't
fail the target is simply gone (died in road, someone next door trapped it).

3) did you guarantee catch?

------

Now to me this would come down to which scenario. If animal is still there and
the resolution paid for was trap/removal, then I'd be giving back the money or sticking it out
until I resolved it.

Those are the two most logical options, though again depends on the situation.

Just my .02

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4643861
09/11/14 10:36 PM
09/11/14 10:36 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
That's why I'm a problem solver, not a trapper. If trapping is required to solve the problem I trap, if its not I don't. If removing an animal is part of the job it can be done. You may have to put on your thinking cap and work over time on the job. You may loose a little money, you may loose a lot of money. However all that extra effort pays dividends in referrals and it is a fantastic education. The best thing about such an education is those lessons learned are never forgotten. Besides that do you ever want something with a brain less than the size of your chew can to beat you?......me neither! That whole refferal part will raise a lot of eyebrows at me but more than once when a job has turned into a struggle and my client sees I didn't give up and did whatever it took they have become clients for life. They have also told everyone they knew about me.

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4644054
09/12/14 05:47 AM
09/12/14 05:47 AM
NE, NC
B
Big Bear Wildlif Offline
trapper
Big Bear Wildlif  Offline
trapper
B

NE, NC
I totally agree with TW. I tell my customers I'll solve the problem. We all have set up to then have the animal disappear. I explain that to folks and give a 30 day warranty to back it up. And then I've had chuck jobs that did not seem to end, but a happy customer at the finish. Referrals keeps us going.

Be Green, Buy Fur.
NE- NC
Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4644232
09/12/14 10:08 AM
09/12/14 10:08 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
If I fail to catch the woodchuck that's about two miles down the road from us, I will simply tell the lady that if it comes back next

year, I will reset the cage free of charge and hopefully catch him. ( Of course, this only pertains to close jobs, not only because

they're easier and less costly but you want a great reputation in your home area especially )

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4645542
09/13/14 08:49 AM
09/13/14 08:49 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
I have FAILED and even given up on jobs before and knowingly left problem animals behind...often exasperated ...but ALL have involved clients that wouldn't work with me. Few examples...no return phone calls on jobs that involved animals in the attic (no access to my cages inside), roaming domestics setting off cages (client told me animals wouldn't be allowed near my traps), AND MY FAVORITE... NOSEY NEIGHBORS SETTING OFF MY TRAPS/STEALING MY TRAPS/ RELEASING MY CATCH. grrrr

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4645732
09/13/14 12:19 PM
09/13/14 12:19 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Working one now. Coons won't even touch the bait outside of the trap.

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4645780
09/13/14 01:31 PM
09/13/14 01:31 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I'm not sure I've ever failed at this job. Sometimes success has eluded me for a while though.

I did a feral cat job where it took me three years to finally catch the breeding female. I caught every other cat on that job but that breeder was just too smart for me. I finally got her when I chased her away from a new litter, blocked all access points but the one with the Advanced walk through cage guarding the entrance.

The biggest problem were the people. This was a trailer park and there were quite a few people who were determined to protect that cat.

It was a great lesson on cat trapping and the general public.

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4645922
09/13/14 04:19 PM
09/13/14 04:19 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
sgs, your story about feral cats and trailer parks brought a tear to my eye. I'm not really certain that there is a whole lot of

difference between feral cats and the people that rent trailers in trailer parks. ( Not to be confused with people that own their own

trailers and are really fun to work with )

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 09/13/14 04:23 PM.
Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4646009
09/13/14 05:37 PM
09/13/14 05:37 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Not FAILED yet, but working on it!...lol..

Some of you may know I asked about noises in a ladys interior wall...well NOW, it's scratching against metal/tin noise.

I bought the snake camera and found no sign--droppings or chewing in the walls last month.

I have even resorted to mouse traps on top of the duct work under the house, and on top of the block foundation-inside.

I can't see any way to get into the duct work to look in there for sign.

She swears when she gets up in the night, as soon as her feet hit the floor, the noise stops.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4646128
09/13/14 07:27 PM
09/13/14 07:27 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I have been very fortunate this year and have caught all the "furry critters" I've been called out to catch. However I have failed on two separate snake jobs to catch the offending reptile. It both instances the snakes had wide open access to the inside of the dwellings and I was unable to find let alone catch the snakes. I was able to seal all access points so the home owner's could at least sleep at nights. I now give a sort of disclaimer when I receive snake calls. Unless the homeowner is looking directly at the snake I can't guarantee I'll catch any. But I keep trying.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4647365
09/14/14 09:02 PM
09/14/14 09:02 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
well after all these years of doing this I can tell you I have animals that I couldn't catch and or can't catch. That is why I, as stated by someone before, am being paid to solve the problem not trap. There are a lot of guys, I talk to, that say they catch every animal they set a trap for. They catch a young squirrel, animal proof the house, and put a one way door up, so I guess in their minds they are catching every animal.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4652333
09/18/14 03:17 PM
09/18/14 03:17 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Failure not an option

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4654633
09/20/14 08:18 AM
09/20/14 08:18 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
The only way to fail is to quit. I'm way too tenacious to quit so there is never a failure, just means "I haven't caught him yet." The toughest ones are either absent or dead. My line "the animal has a better chance losing his shadow than losing me." It may be necessary to back off, regroup, formulate another plan, but quit, nope. As noted, It is all about problem solving, so the animal does not have to be caught, but can be excluded or just made so uncomfortable by the pressure that he leaves for good. When animals like beaver leave, they most always return 4 to 12 weeks later, depending on time of year. When woodchucks take the long nap at the end of the season before they are caught, like Paul, I change for the initial service, then return free of change for a set up the following year and only charge for the captured animals and or extra trips if non-targets are involved. At times I did not charge initially, only saying, "call me next year," but at times the calls never came, meaning I got nothing for my time in a situation that was out of my control when the chuck simply left for another den or went underground for winter.

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4654749
09/20/14 10:48 AM
09/20/14 10:48 AM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
I don't consider myself any better than a well educated Doctor or Lawyer. In the aspect that they do not always save the patient or win the case.
But, they always send a bill.

I learned that from a man I consider one of the very best wildlife guys going.

Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4654935
09/20/14 02:36 PM
09/20/14 02:36 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
Well like I said before sell yourself as a problem solver rather than a trapper. Also, check your jobs out thourally and use your past experiance to your advantage. Its always better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around.

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: Have you FAILED? [Re: snare1] #4655003
09/20/14 04:06 PM
09/20/14 04:06 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Ditto, I go in like I never trapped anything in my life and just say we'll give is a shot. I know in the past I have placed too much pressure on myself to cure a problem each time and do it quickly. Even when things have been out of my control, I sometimes just never sent a bill and absolutely should have, though that has changed. I like to get something when I spend a buck as does everyone and like to give clients something for their money, but as you say Docs and Lawyers charge win, loose or draw and don't think a thing about it and they are not always even close to being right. Won't mention the details of the last doctor deal, actually a P.A. who looked at me like I was a one in a million case, "never seen this, wish I could help you" and sent me home. Thank God for the internet and a one minute self correct diagnosis on my part. But, I still payed for the appointments since no there were no guarantees. Do your best and charge something for your time.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread