ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
ground hogs dens #4650471
09/17/14 07:22 AM
09/17/14 07:22 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline OP
trapper
Jonesie  Offline OP
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
This year in my area there seems to be a increase of ground hogs den entrances that are at least 30 to 40 feet from a deck or shed. many of these sheds and decks was animal walled for a few years. I wonder if there isn't a new learned habit. My longest tunnel that I have seen was over 100 feet long leading from a brush pile to enter a dirt floor crawl space. I believe this was a tile drain of old though. I have in the past gone to farmers fields and seen the dogs go down the tunnels. The average maze of underground tunnels would cover 40 foot in diameter area if not bigger.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: ground hogs dens [Re: Jonesie] #4650663
09/17/14 11:01 AM
09/17/14 11:01 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
As long as we're discussing woodchucks in September, this will give me a good opportunity to rant! All summer long I've been catching

'chucks one right after the other. Comes the first week of September and I catch zilch. Right now I have four beautiful sets out, all

of them over active dens, and nothing! This happens every year. And which one of you guys stole the global warming? It's been cool

all summer and it's getting downright cold lately. This whole global warming thing has been a great disappointment! They promised us

bikinis in the winter and all we get is the same all fur-lined parkas. Rant over.

Re: ground hogs dens [Re: Jonesie] #4650774
09/17/14 12:43 PM
09/17/14 12:43 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
Don't get mad at us Paul, its that Al Gore you need to be mad at. At least he "invented" the internet, if it weren't for him TM wouldn't exist.....

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: ground hogs dens [Re: Jonesie] #4650875
09/17/14 02:23 PM
09/17/14 02:23 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
The dens arent active if you arent catching them coming out on a daily basis. They have to eat hard and heavy this time of year to put on enough body mass to survive their hibernation. Particularly in your region where their hibernation periods are much longer then in our region.

Hogs have multiple dens in their home range. Some dens are used sporadically and some are seasonal dens.Most are preparing their dens for winter now bringing in debris of all kinds into their dens for comfort/insulation and for back filling their dens to keep out as much of the outside climate as is possible.

Re: ground hogs dens [Re: Jonesie] #4651145
09/17/14 06:50 PM
09/17/14 06:50 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Bob, I realize, of course, that everything you've said is true. All of these jobs are very close to our office/home. If I fail to

catch the offending animal, next year I will reset, free of charge. What always amazes me is that I will then, nearly always catch

the woodchuck. ( And of course get paid for him )

Re: ground hogs dens [Re: Jonesie] #4651310
09/17/14 08:37 PM
09/17/14 08:37 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Paul, I've traveled outside of my beloved Dixie a few times. I'm not to sure bikinis and some of y'all's gals would be a good thing.
Of course if you were wanting the bikini then more power to you.

From the guy known to wear a skirt. wink

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread