Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: time of year for castor mounds [Re: dirtholeman1] #466655
12/17/07 01:40 AM
12/17/07 01:40 AM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Hawkeye,I alternate my two castor based lures at every other set.At times they go by #1 and fly right in to #2.I like giving them a choice.Castor based lures but different smells.
If the lure you are using doesn't do the trick, you may want to change.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: time of year for castor mounds [Re: Bogmaster] #466676
12/17/07 01:52 AM
12/17/07 01:52 AM
Arkansas
dirtholeman1 Offline
trapper
dirtholeman1  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
kyb it has stopped rainin and it is 29 degrees for a low tonite.

How high off the ground and how big is the loop in the pic?

LYNX RULES !!!!!
Re: time of year for castor mounds [Re: dirtholeman1] #468263
12/17/07 11:24 PM
12/17/07 11:24 PM
kentucky
K
kybeaverman Offline
trapper
kybeaverman  Offline
trapper
K

kentucky
the loop is standard (about 10 inches) I try to never go bigger, had beaver by neck 2 days later.
The snare is 1-2 inches off ground
best wishes

Re: time of year for castor mounds [Re: kybeaverman] #468311
12/17/07 11:53 PM
12/17/07 11:53 PM
Higginsville Missouri
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper
deerhunter65347  Offline
trapper

Higginsville Missouri
Location any where on lakes streams creeks or rivers. These set ups will produce just about every fur bearer on water. But i set them to target beaver. But it never fails to catch beaver, coon, mink, rats, and otter. The first pic is location.

The second pic shows you how it should look once you have the bank cut down to where you have a good slope into the water. Then muddy up you bank slide. Dont spare the mud. Then scratch your fake prints into the mud.

The third pic shows the dive stick placed at least 2 foot from bank. This serves to purpose. If you want to build a castor mound set from this the dive stick keeps the beaver from dragging alot of mud up with him. Second this also gives you a place to use a 330 or 280 coni under the dive stick.

Pic 4 shows where i have set the sleepy creek 4.5 and i am preparing to place the trap with a drowner cable set up. The weight you use is your choice. The drowner cable i use is 1/8 aircraft grade cable

pic 5 shows the completed set with the sleepy creek placed to the left side of slide. You can see it if you look close. This set like i said before will atrack coon, beaver, otter, And rats. Ive taken a large portion of fur off creeks with these set ups. They work great with the castor mound above them as well. Or a piece of 4 in pvc driven in at the top of slid. It acts a a great visual attractor. I hope this has been help full. Good luck

Snares can be used at this set as well!

Last edited by deerhunter65347; 12/17/07 11:54 PM.

Coon Collector web site. http://www.cooncollector.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91