ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dog Proofs vs cages. [Re: Throw Back] #4647096
09/14/14 04:43 PM
09/14/14 04:43 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I hope Jonesie isn't referring to me. Heck, I've been known to give away entire subscriptions of free information.

Re: Dog Proofs vs cages. [Re: Jonesie] #4647117
09/14/14 05:03 PM
09/14/14 05:03 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
A coon working the trap is not cage shy but cage smart. There is a big difference. That coon type you mentioned Kirk is either cage smart or dumb as snot. Eric Arnold and I talked for at least 2 hours one night not long ago on baiting cages. The way a person baits a cage can cause the coon to work the back sides, back and top of a cage rather than the front. By a simple baiting technique change they can get those coon to the front of the trap. the dumb go right in, the smart will still play with me unless I get them thinking about other things. A trap smart coon knows what is going on with a cage. they know what is the norm. one of the tricks I do with the above mentioned type of coon is simply turn the trap around so the open door is now where the back of the trap was and put the bait there where it was and some inside the back. Most people only bait the back of a trap, so why wouldn't the coon go to the back of a trap. If you ever watch a coon work a cage that is baited only in the back they will most of the time go to the downwind side of the trap and wind the bait. If they want the bait or lure then they will work the trap from that spot because that is where the bait is. Now I am going to shut up now because Paul tells me I give out too much info for free and I don't want him yelling at me any more.

The trap Wendall was using was this trap. It was designed purposely years ago to catch a circling coon (basically designed to do what you described but the trap does not need to be turned around). By a double doored trap between the house and this trap the circling coon would be after the bait at both ends leading him into the double doored trap.

Here is a beaver set with the lure only in the large cage. The beaver can get to the back of the large cage where the lure is by going through the double doored cage with no lure in it. That is how he got caught. Same principle as above.

The double doored trap Wendall caught the coon with was a 10x12x30 swingdown doored fast door trap.

Last edited by Kirk De; 09/14/14 05:29 PM. Reason: more information.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Dog Proofs vs cages. [Re: Throw Back] #4647346
09/14/14 08:50 PM
09/14/14 08:50 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
yep that will do it. I just use one trap most of the time, but there is no, "one way of doing this stuff". Just figure it out and get ur done. But again a shy coon or skunk in my area will leave the site completely and not mess with the trap. I bait so I can tell from day one if I have a problem. I don't want to wait 3 days to figure out what I have.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Dog Proofs vs cages. [Re: Throw Back] #4648945
09/16/14 02:38 AM
09/16/14 02:38 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Well, if I dont catch anything tonight, I will try the dog proofs tomorow

Re: Dog Proofs vs cages. [Re: Throw Back] #4650319
09/16/14 11:47 PM
09/16/14 11:47 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
That double trap of Kirk's is effective and efficient. If I was going to use dog proofs I would set them in pairs. The coon will pull both of them greatly limiting his ability to do further damage. I use them ocasionally but for the most part they are not the best tool in our situations. I wouldn't feel bad about having 4 of them in my tool box but I wouldn't put my finger in one to demonstrate how they work. That hurts thinking about it.
If you get the WCT magazine Ron wrote a very good article on baits and lures that I think it will help you with trap smart coons.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Dog Proofs vs cages. [Re: Throw Back] #4653825
09/19/14 04:19 PM
09/19/14 04:19 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Do I need a post or would a cinderblock be enough?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread