ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk from ... #4631261
09/03/14 10:18 AM
09/03/14 10:18 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Since I have been using positive sets I have not had a problem catching skunks going in or out of dens with double door cages, until the other day. Set the den under a porch as usual while the skunk was away. Client called and said he dug another hole nearby, but he was not living there, just digging and leaving. Told her to put some bait in the new hole and move the trap to the over to it while covering the other hole. He dug more holes, lots of them I was told after the fact, 6 total I guess. As they moved the trap he wanted no part of it. After a long message on my phone that made it sound like they were all in imitate danger in what was conveyed as an unbearable situation, I dumped in a 160 for closure. But, I also loaded a large 12x12 trap with all kinds of bait and smells right next to it. The skunk ignored the cage, as expected, but did find himself suitcased in the 160. He never moved a muscle as it would appear and though the yard did not small much, inside the house the odor was quite noticeable.

Wondering how many times cage avoidance occurs with both blind and baited sets? Other than a 160 I could have set a foot trap, but that too iffy to say the least, not to catch, but worry of spraying. Wondering what others have done on the rare occasion that this happens?

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631301
09/03/14 10:47 AM
09/03/14 10:47 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Your story brings back a couple of memories, Jim. Thank goodness it's only a couple. And the funny part is that those cage-shy skunks

are first year females that have never seen a cage before. I usually caught them by changing something. A plastic cage perhaps, or

putting fresh ground inside the cage and making it harder for her to dig around it. I caught them eventually but I don't get paid any

more for a skunk with a PHD, so I prefer the really dumb ones.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631318
09/03/14 10:59 AM
09/03/14 10:59 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
Since I have been using positive sets I have not had a problem catching skunks going in or out of dens with double door cages, until the other day. Set the den under a porch as usual while the skunk was away. Client called and said he dug another hole nearby, but he was not living there, just digging and leaving. Told her to put some bait in the new hole and move the trap to the over to it while covering the other hole. He dug more holes, lots of them I was told after the fact, 6 total I guess. As they moved the trap he wanted no part of it. After a long message on my phone that made it sound like they were all in imitate danger in what was conveyed as an unbearable situation, I dumped in a 160 for closure. But, I also loaded a large 12x12 trap with all kinds of bait and smells right next to it. The skunk ignored the cage, as expected, but did find himself suitcased in the 160. He never moved a muscle as it would appear and though the yard did not small much, inside the house the odor was quite noticeable.

Wondering how many times cage avoidance occurs with both blind and baited sets? Other than a 160 I could have set a foot trap, but that too iffy to say the least, not to catch, but worry of spraying. Wondering what others have done on the rare occasion that this happens?

This was posted on the "my first Wood chuck thread". Had same problem. He was using positive sets with nose cones and double door traps. He solved the problem the same way.

Quote:
As much as I like Comstock's and Advance traps, had a cemetery job with 6 active holes. Three days of positive sets and one chuck. Change to conibears and four the next day. Everything has its place and job. Good job on your first one.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631323
09/03/14 11:03 AM
09/03/14 11:03 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I was just going to ask if it was a male or female but Paul brought it up first.

Positive sets are productive, of course, but sometimes a cage covering their den will scare them off. I usually set a couple of baited traps in suspected travel ways, away from the den, just in case the animal is away from the den when setting. They are just as effective as the positive set.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631353
09/03/14 11:24 AM
09/03/14 11:24 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Yes, it was a female but appeared to be a good sized one and not this years and was not actually living in the holes, just digging them, returning intermittently. The large bait trap adjacent to the den didn't get her attention either. At least that is a first out of many many dozens. I too love a dumb animal with all my heart. Knew I could catch her one way or other, was just hoping it would have ended less odorous.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631370
09/03/14 11:45 AM
09/03/14 11:45 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I suspect that the original den might have been where this years litter was born. At this time of year she was probably using a series of dens, returning only once every few days. Had a baited trap been a distance from the den she might not have been so neophobic.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631500
09/03/14 01:47 PM
09/03/14 01:47 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
The client in this case had said the skunk had just showed up at this location, a summer home where they had spent a lot of time. I am finding that this time of year there are more hit and miss diggings, places they just show up where they have not been, dig some and then vacate. I guess they may show up at some point, maybe. Best part of positive sets, no maintenance, few non targets taken. All you have to do it wait it out. Waiting on a chuck for a week and half, but no sign yet. Not a great place if you saw it, in the woods with not much feed.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631680
09/03/14 03:54 PM
09/03/14 03:54 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Had an armadillo do the exact same thing to me once. The strange deal was he was doing a dam good skunk impression, so much so I was at first convinced I was dealing with a skunk. The only armadillo I have encountered that was actually digging in and out of a crawlspace. Finally nailed him on the opposite side of the house in one of his new holes. Caught him in a cage positive set but I had to line the entire area with pavers to make him quit digging.

[Linked Image]
Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4631990
09/03/14 07:15 PM
09/03/14 07:15 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
I'm just thankful that these kinds of things don't happen that often. Finding that no matter what the critter, they all can either get wised up or come that way from previous encounters with who knows who or what. I have come to have a great deal of respect for each and every animal. If they believe they are the target, you are in trouble. I don't underestimate any animal.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4632221
09/03/14 09:02 PM
09/03/14 09:02 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Jim I get them a lot here in my area. some of those old females have been there, done that, with a cage trap. I found that if I back off the den and feed them at the den with the same bait that they like to eat in the trap, I can get them to go in a large trap at some point, well most of the time. I can't use killers here and snares are a pain with skunks.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4632771
09/04/14 08:20 AM
09/04/14 08:20 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Hey Jonesie, I had to set for skunks with no den hole, almost broke out in hives and began to develop a tick. Guess what,? I had to use BAIT. I can't remember which ones of your baits and lures I used, but something that worked. Set along structure on both sides of an alcove. Nothing the first night, but I am told we now have 2 black and whites "eagerly" awaiting our return this morning.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4635515
09/06/14 01:38 AM
09/06/14 01:38 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Snare on a slide wire.Skunks are easy to snare,but don't often have the strength to dispatch themselves.

Last edited by Boco; 09/06/14 01:40 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4635724
09/06/14 09:43 AM
09/06/14 09:43 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Sounds good, wish I could do that as it would get them out of the way, but no snaring here except for beaver in water.

Re: Skunk from ... [Re: Jim Comstock] #4638962
09/08/14 09:06 PM
09/08/14 09:06 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Just got back from working on deer camp and you made my day JIM LOL not that you used my baits but that you used any bait LOL I even set up one of your traps today! there is hope for both of us LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread