ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
How much should I charge for this beaver job? #4626548
08/30/14 11:05 PM
08/30/14 11:05 PM
Millersburg, OH
sebastian Offline OP
trapper
sebastian  Offline OP
trapper

Millersburg, OH
OK, So this is the first time I've had some one really want to pay me to come and trap the beavers at their place. I am really good at trapping beavers and I guess word got out. lol smile They live about 20 miles out of my way. Anyways, what would be a fair price?
Thanks!

Always remember, you are SPECIAL and UNIQUE. ( Just like everybody else.)
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4626648
08/31/14 12:38 AM
08/31/14 12:38 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Seems to me that the set-up fees for most of the guys on here are between $100 and $250.

That's pretty close to the beaver price also; $85 to $250 each.

I've also heard of guys charging around $200 for the first beaver and somewhat less for the rest.

Finding out what other guys charge in your area is usually the best way to go.

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4626736
08/31/14 06:15 AM
08/31/14 06:15 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Charge what u want to make, not what others only want to pay.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4626814
08/31/14 08:23 AM
08/31/14 08:23 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I just bid a recent beaver project for $1200.00 as a flat rate price.Just about the same distance of travel. Some beaver jobs come easy and fast but some jobs you might be there for several days to a week depending upon your skills, what access you have and how they respond to your methods.

Figure you will have about 1-1/2 > 2hrs a day just in travel time to check the job plus the time spent on site on each visit. Factor all those together and the potential for a call back if you mis judge the number of animals there if you pull out too soon etc.

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4626989
08/31/14 10:27 AM
08/31/14 10:27 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Big difference between a one acre subdivision pond you can drive up to and a timberland creek bottom you have to hump into.
Same with a multi year colony vs new mated pair vs a hermit beaver that been messed with.

Lots of variables that starts with you asking the right questions of the client.

[Linked Image]
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4627139
08/31/14 01:15 PM
08/31/14 01:15 PM
ohio foothills
snare1 Offline
trapper
snare1  Offline
trapper

ohio foothills
Bob , you hit the nail on the head , I have learned alot off the first job mine also was 20 miles away i caught the beavers and learned alot in the process AND LOST ALOT IN THE PROCESS , I suggest at least $150 setup fee and AT MINUMUM $ 100 a beaver, I had to as Warrior Spoke i had to hike into the Creeks to get at mine.

Men are born with two eyes, but with one tongue, in order that they should see twice as much as they say. OSTA UTK ,, Chicken Lil All Call lure.
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4627262
08/31/14 03:29 PM
08/31/14 03:29 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Don't forget the gas money and drive time.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4628706
09/01/14 06:05 PM
09/01/14 06:05 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
OK, So this is the first time I've had some one really want to pay me to come and trap the beavers at their place. I am really good at trapping beavers and I guess word got out. lol smile They live about 20 miles out of my way. Anyways, what would be a fair price?
Thanks!

It is summer. Where you are The nights will be close to the seventy's and the days in the 90's. Tell them beaver don,t move well in extreme heat. When they do, they can spook easy and are more aware of human scent and presence. Tell them you would rather wait until fall but if "you want me to come" I will make sets for one week or until I quit catching beaver. Tell them you will catch 2 or three out of each colony and they usually spook(under these conditions). Tell them it will probably take a heavy rain, cool weather, or fall to make them active again. When they are active, have them call you and you will come back and set up again.

Explain also that in the summer you are more limited on types of sets used because of turtles and other non targets setting off traps, or moving snares before the beaver come.

Charge a set up fee, and a mileage charge (basically what BigBob said), and a small fee per beaver.

If you do well, you do well. If you don,t, you have your bases covered and you are telling the truth while getting more experience. The exception, is if the location, is cool moving water. Then you may do much better.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4628732
09/01/14 06:22 PM
09/01/14 06:22 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
$100 per beaver,Mileage charge of around 65 cents per mile for up to 5 trips return.If there are beaver left after 5 trips(educated) you can re-negotiate.Set lots of traps and you seldom have to make 5 trips to get the job done.You can also negotiate a fee to breach the dam to lower the water if you(or the client) want.($50 to a $100 per dam/culvert)

Last edited by Boco; 09/01/14 06:28 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: Kirk De] #4629068
09/01/14 09:27 PM
09/01/14 09:27 PM
Millersburg, OH
sebastian Offline OP
trapper
sebastian  Offline OP
trapper

Millersburg, OH
Originally Posted By: Kirk De
Quote:
Thanks!

It is summer. Where you are The nights will be close to the seventy's and the days in the 90's. Tell them beaver don,t move well in extreme heat. When they do, they can spook easy and are more aware of human scent and presence. Tell them you would rather wait until fall but if "you want me to come" I will make sets for one week or until I quit catching beaver. Tell them you will catch 2 or three out of each colony and they usually spook(under these conditions). Tell them it will probably take a heavy rain, cool weather, or fall to make them active again. When they are active, have them call you and you will come back and set up again.

Explain also that in the summer you are more limited on types of sets used because of turtles and other non targets setting off traps, or moving snares before the beaver come.

Charge a set up fee, and a mileage charge (basically what BigBob said), and a small fee per beaver.

If you do well, you do well. If you don,t, you have your bases covered and you are telling the truth while getting more experience. The exception, is if the location, is cool moving water. Then you may do much better.

I should have mentioned that I will only trap during the trapping season as I don't have an ADC license.
Thanks for the replies everyone! smile

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4629092
09/01/14 09:38 PM
09/01/14 09:38 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
I should have mentioned that I will only trap during the trapping season as I don't have an ADC license.
Thanks for the replies everyone

Problem you have now is "no excuse".

Here it is 6-10 times easier to catch a beaver in Dec., Jan., and Feb., than in May, June, July, August, and September due to the weather.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: Boco] #4639431
09/09/14 08:46 AM
09/09/14 08:46 AM
Millersburg, OH
sebastian Offline OP
trapper
sebastian  Offline OP
trapper

Millersburg, OH
Originally Posted By: Boco
$100 per beaver,Mileage charge of around 65 cents per mile for up to 5 trips return.If there are beaver left after 5 trips(educated) you can re-negotiate.Set lots of traps and you seldom have to make 5 trips to get the job done.You can also negotiate a fee to breach the dam to lower the water if you(or the client) want.($50 to a $100 per dam/culvert)

Is the 65 cent a mile a onetime charge or every time I check the traps do I charge another 65 cents a mile?
Thanks

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4639535
09/09/14 10:26 AM
09/09/14 10:26 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
How can I get my wife to pay me 65 cents a mile for running to the store to get her milk, bread, etc.? ( I wouldn't charge if it was a trip to get booze )

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4639815
09/09/14 02:46 PM
Shelby County Ohio (Mid Wester...
B
BackwoodsCritter Offline
trapper
BackwoodsCritter  Offline
trapper
B

I would do it for free if there is good beaver sign and they allow you to continue to trap on there property. If there is beaver there is most likely also, muskrat, mink, coon?

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4639817
B
BackwoodsCritter Offline
trapper
BackwoodsCritter  Offline
trapper
B

I do nuisance jobs for access rights as long as they are not rushing me to rid a certain species.

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4639832
09/09/14 02:53 PM
09/09/14 02:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The milage is for up to 5 trips return.If you do it in 3,charge for 3.If you are not done in 5 trips you can re-negotiate a new contract,or extra trips for an educated beaver.(99%) of your calls will be done in 4 trips or less if you know what you are doing.

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4640045
09/09/14 05:16 PM
09/09/14 05:16 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Okay Backwoods and every other fur trapper on this site. It ain't called Trapperman ADC for its health. It's a great living!

We make way more money ( And at least in my case, have more fun ) catching those "nuisance animals" than you will, trapping for hides.

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4640223
09/09/14 07:41 PM
09/09/14 07:41 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I always trapped for fur even when I was making my living as a nuisance beaver agent.I took holidays from trapping to go trapping,lol.There is something about a nice pile of well finished prime fur that gets in your blood,especially when the market is good.And nothing beats long quiet days on the trapline working for yourself.
My fur trapping skills is what got me my full time agents job in the firstplace.

Last edited by Boco; 09/09/14 07:42 PM.

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4640998
09/10/14 09:09 AM
09/10/14 09:09 AM
Millersburg, OH
sebastian Offline OP
trapper
sebastian  Offline OP
trapper

Millersburg, OH
Ok, that makes sense.
Backwoods, I actually do that a lot of what you mentioned. But this person is way out of my way and by the time I get out of work it's dark out. This person has really nice land but the lady doesn't want me to kill all the "cute little animals" lol.

Re: How much should I charge for this beaver job? [Re: sebastian] #4641269
09/10/14 12:53 PM
09/10/14 12:53 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
Its nice to see people charging for travel time. Something I have been preaching for years. Several of the posts should give you a good idea of prices, but what will your area support?
I suggest:
Setup fee,(covers your cost to see the lay of the land for your sets)
Per day trap check fee, ( this will cover your gas and travel time, figure how long to and from the site and what you get per hour for working)
A per animal fee is something I hate but works good for those starting out. I agree with Bob and the flat rate fee but only for the catch numbers. I still add the travel and setup.
As for doing beaver or any work in season STILL CHARGE and get the fur. They called you not the other way around. You are solving their problem and that's what they hired you for. The fur is a bonus.
This is an industry, business, lively hood not a hobby for most of us on here. Don't diminish what we do by trapping problem animals for free. It has taken many years and hard work by many of us to get the public to see our importance.
Big thing to remember is...FINISH THE JOB!!!!! Even if you loose money you will learn from your mistake and protect yours and our industies reputation. When the job is done review the notes you should be taking and see how you could improve your pricing.
My formula for success
Don LaFountain

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread