ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Mystery Moles #4579891
07/30/14 11:51 AM
07/30/14 11:51 AM
Virginia
P
Peacemaker Offline OP
trapper
Peacemaker  Offline OP
trapper
P

Virginia
Had a job recently where the back yard was slam covered in twisty feeding tunnels. Everywhere. Trapped for 3wks with zero catches. Mole sign disappeared as soon as i began trapping. Made me look like an idiot! Hahaha... After 3wks with no fresh sign to set on, i pulled traps and moved on. Of course, i lost money on this one!

Anyone ever have this happen?

Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4580006
07/30/14 01:13 PM
07/30/14 01:13 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Yes it sounds like a mole moved in fed or looked like crazy and moved on to wormier soil. That being said your trapping especially if you dig up the tunnels might have caused him to move to where no predators were looking. A dog digging after him will many times will move him to the neighbor but he usually does more damage than the mole.
What your talking about sometimes happens with squirrel and particularly raccoons. You don't catch anything but they are gone. You make three times as many trips on those jobs and the customer thinks it was a natural occurance. If you charge a service call and per animal caught some people have a hard time doing the math. They just got lucky.
I am considering making my service call include the first animal to cover these jobs. Or maybe I need to start doing a signed agreement. I live in a small population and operate with verbal agreement unless it is a bigger job on birds or bats.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4580086
07/30/14 02:25 PM
07/30/14 02:25 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
The moles are probably still there just gone deep. In these parts moles are only active on the surface when conditions are favorable for foraging, usually spring and fall coinciding with rain and moderate surface soil temperatures. The rest of the year they will be found deeper, I have personally observed a mole run at eight feet down.
This disappearing act can be very frustrating and lead to clients giving you the evil eye. The more you can educate them up front the better and better makes the case for the need for scheduled service contracts for species like moles. Also to avoid the pain of not getting paid get rid of the per animal fees and go to a fee schedule based on labor. The exact same amount of labor goes into setting and placing of traps whether a catch is made or not.

A trick I learned for deep moles is to try to bring them to the surface by irrigating the section of lawn where they are.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mystery Moles [Re: warrior] #4610972
08/19/14 10:55 PM
08/19/14 10:55 PM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Originally Posted By: warrior
The moles are probably still there just gone deep. In these parts moles are only active on the surface when conditions are favorable for foraging, usually spring and fall coinciding with rain and moderate surface soil temperatures. The rest of the year they will be found deeper, I have personally observed a mole run at eight feet down.
This disappearing act can be very frustrating and lead to clients giving you the evil eye. The more you can educate them up front the better and better makes the case for the need for scheduled service contracts for species like moles. Also to avoid the pain of not getting paid get rid of the per animal fees and go to a fee schedule based on labor. The exact same amount of labor goes into setting and placing of traps whether a catch is made or not.

A trick I learned for deep moles is to try to bring them to the surface by irrigating the section of lawn where they are.
what he said,

Rickey

Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4611909
08/20/14 04:11 PM
08/20/14 04:11 PM
Indiana
V3N Offline
trapper
V3N  Offline
trapper

Indiana
I would bet money they treated the lawn. A Mole has no way of knowing if there is food there or not till they look around. A freshly aeriated lawn would seem like good hunting grounds for a mole.
Are the neighbor's lawns Mole free? He may be just over the fence.

"There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness."
Dave Barry

Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4620206
08/26/14 12:18 PM
08/26/14 12:18 PM
SWEET HOME OREGON
W
willvalley Offline
trapper
willvalley  Offline
trapper
W

SWEET HOME OREGON
Lots of critters eat or kill moles. I have lost some to the cats in the area, to owls I think, and trapped ones to possum ( trap and mole). I know at times it is possum as I have gotten pictures of them trying to take a mole from a trap I anchored. Don't feel alone on the loss it happens from time to time. If the area holds moisture the mole usually will stay but if it is dry ground it could also have moved on.
Ted

FROM MY DEAD HANDS
Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4621215
08/27/14 07:50 AM
08/27/14 07:50 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Don't put it past a customer taking a mole out of a trap either. I love it when they put the trap back in the ground in a different position. I now will not set traps unless I get paid first, It is amazing how many moles do not disappear when I do this, where if I just set the job the moles go away.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4621245
08/27/14 08:22 AM
08/27/14 08:22 AM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
Its amazing to me how many critters of all types "disappear" out of traps ! Lol

When it comes to money.............

Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4625846
08/30/14 11:47 AM
08/30/14 11:47 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
What Ted and Ron said, with the exception of the part about owls getting moles: could happen, but I don't think it's very likely at all. Think about the behavior and abilities of moles and owls.
I do get a certain number of scavenged moles taken from traps, especially when trapping near cover (heavy brush).

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Mystery Moles [Re: Peacemaker] #4626029
08/30/14 02:53 PM
08/30/14 02:53 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I save some of the moles I trap for fox bait for a trapper I know. I have had moles and traps pulled out of the ground but not eaten.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread