ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
how in the world do i figure out my WORTH #4618055
08/24/14 08:44 PM
08/24/14 08:44 PM
ohio foothills
snare1 Offline OP
trapper
snare1  Offline OP
trapper

ohio foothills
I have had a few jobs ,few skunks and beaver jobs , BUT I also have a day job I would rather work a ADC JOB cause aspects of my real job stink, But where im from people don't REALLY want to PAY FOR REMOVAL so how do I figure my time gas money and not lose , I FEEL THE LAST JOB I LOST . how do you guys figure out rates on your animal removal jobs? BEAVERS , SKUNKS , COONS,?

Men are born with two eyes, but with one tongue, in order that they should see twice as much as they say. OSTA UTK ,, Chicken Lil All Call lure.
Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618072
08/24/14 09:01 PM
08/24/14 09:01 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
keep raising your prices till you don't loose money........

Last edited by ponyboy; 08/24/14 09:01 PM.
Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618098
08/24/14 09:10 PM
08/24/14 09:10 PM
ohio foothills
snare1 Offline OP
trapper
snare1  Offline OP
trapper

ohio foothills
most sites i look on to figure on what most companies charge IS CALL FOR QOUTES how do i learn what others charge Im not new to trapping IM NEW TO CHARGING PEOPLE.

Men are born with two eyes, but with one tongue, in order that they should see twice as much as they say. OSTA UTK ,, Chicken Lil All Call lure.
Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618306
08/24/14 10:47 PM
08/24/14 10:47 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
It all depends on what your customer base will allow. I would say try to keep your service call/inspection in the 129.00-189.00 range and the per animal price in the 50.00-75.00 range. Beaver and Coyote 275.00 set up and 200.00 per beaver. Remember seal ups, repairs and clean ups make the money, service calls and animals just pay the bills and break you even. Try that for a range and see if you can make money, adjust as needed.

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618328
08/24/14 11:01 PM
08/24/14 11:01 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
The info you need is generally not going to be found here. Business classes or some serious time with someone advising you on what it costs to operate a business is in order. The animal removal portion of the job is the easy part.

Understanding recurring costs, insurance, advertising, taxes, liability issues, maintenance costs, vehicle replacement costs, and other unavoidable expenses is very important. Having a urban or semi-urban population is practically mandatory to survive. A large population base is typically a common factor for those who operate successful wildlife control businesses.

Basically, your fees should be similar (or higher) than any of the other service businesses. HVAC, painters, auto repair, masonry, etc. We offer the same degree of service and typically at a much higher safety risk. The exceptions may be if you specialize in one animal, for instance mole trapping or other service that doesn't require major equipment costs.

In a thread about 3 years ago the general consensus was that a break-even fee for the average wildlife control business was around $75 an hour. That's just break-even amount, and that was 3 years ago. You must figure on PROFIT for the business to grow. There are many ways to set up your pricing schedule, and you will constantly adjust as time goes on.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of adjustment to fees, which is why there are so many WCO's who fade away within a couple years. It's a business, not a hobby, and treating as a business is mandatory. Treat is as a hobby and you'll be gone before you know it, especially doing it full-time. You have to be able to pay for all your health insurance, business insurance, support your family, replace/repair all equipment and vehicles, and grow the business while contributing ALL of your own retirement. That's a lot to consider, and it's serious stuff.

Ron Scheller

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618341
08/24/14 11:12 PM
08/24/14 11:12 PM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline
trapper
Budfish  Offline
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
Just ask your wife how much life insurance she has on you.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618362
08/24/14 11:25 PM
08/24/14 11:25 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
There ya go Ron, scare some sense into em lol. Listen to him though guys he's not lying.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618408
08/25/14 12:10 AM
08/25/14 12:10 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Sometimes the truth IS scary. Took me 10 years of making mistakes as a part-timer (1990-2000) before I learned. I sure don't want everyone else to have to learn the hard way!

Ron Scheller

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618418
08/25/14 12:18 AM
08/25/14 12:18 AM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
The hard way is really the best way sometimes. You can listen to other guys warn you over and over but as soon as you make that mistake once you got it and it will never happen again. Lesson learned hard are lessons learned forever.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618498
08/25/14 06:26 AM
08/25/14 06:26 AM
ohio foothills
snare1 Offline OP
trapper
snare1  Offline OP
trapper

ohio foothills
I think the area my calls are coming from hurts me , for serious money I think go where the people are NOT SELF SUFFICIENT, my area has an interspersed population willing to pay for removal but on average most will figure out how to take care of th problem them self without Paying.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618508
08/25/14 06:57 AM
08/25/14 06:57 AM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Raise prices.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618562
08/25/14 08:43 AM
08/25/14 08:43 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
I've covered this topic multiple times in WCT, Buckeye Trapper, the WCT DVD, and here. First and foremost, forget about everyone else here and what we need to charge. You need to figure out what ALL of your EXPENSES are to RUN a business in your proposed service area. Next, decide how much money you want to make offering these services. Now figure out how many hours you want to work to get these results. The basic formula is:

Expenses + Salary + Profit / Billable Hours

So if your expenses for a raccoon job are $250, your payment will be $100, the company profit should be $100 and you want all this done in 5 billable hours the rate would be $90/hr. This is your benchmark. With this you can make money, break even, or loose money. For instance, if you charge a flat rate of $450 and complete the job in 2 hours, you've made additional money. If the job takes you the full 5 hours, you broke even with the pricing structure, but if it takes 10 hours you've lost (which I like to phrase as invested in training) money on the job. If you charge per hour, you should never loose money but you may not sell any jobs saying it will cost the client $90/hr or $450 flat. This means that once you've figured out pricing, you next need to work on how you market your rates to prospects so you can get hired as pricing and marketing are not the same thing.

Finally, based on what you discover with your rates don't be surprised if they are higher than what the area can support. When this happens you either have to widen your service area (which also means adding to your expenses) or move to another area. If you start paying clients for the privilege of solving their wildlife conflicts, you'd be better off just writing them a check instead of wasting your time with them.

Also, remember that in Ohio we now have a Commercial Nuisance Wild Animal Control license ($40) you'd need to get as well as your Commercial Nuisance Wild Animal Operator Certification (free online). I just spoke to someone over the weekend about this and they weren't aware of these changes. You can find more information about Ohio licensing at www.owcoa.com.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618855
08/25/14 01:27 PM
08/25/14 01:27 PM
Central Ohio
Dirk Shearer Offline
trapper
Dirk Shearer  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
This may not be exactly helpful for the question you asked but it can be helpful as you look forward to doing this type of work as your sole source of income.

You could use a replacement income evaluation.

Take how much you earn at your current job. Add in benefits, health insurance, retirement plans, bonuses etc. Multiply that by a factor of 3.5. This will give you a ROUGH estimate of how much you will need to make to replace your current income.

Lets use an income of $35000, Health benefit of $6000, Retirement contribution of 4% or $1400 and a $600 bonus.

You get $35000+$6000+$1400+$600= $43000. I would determine a required gross income of $150,500 to replace your current earnings and ensure you do not have to change your lifestyle or spending habits.

If you work 365 days a year you are going to need to earn $412.33 per day. Working every day is obviously not realistic, so lets knock that down to 256 (lopping off 104 days for week ends and 5 holidays). Now you are at 256 days or $588 per day. If you work 8 hours per day it comes to $73.50 per hour.

This is real close to what Ron stated was the consensus break even point. But keep in mind, not every hour is billable. That is why I price our jobs based on performance and not hourly. I am limited in the number of hours in a day. I am not limited in the number of tasks I can perform or the prices I charge for each individual task.

Now come up with a plan to do that and you are all set!

This is just another way to look at it and determine your worth. It is by no means appropriate for all instances and is meant to give you insight to help with your decisions.

Dirk E. Shearer, President
The Wildlife Control Company, Inc.
"Cause if you won't put your real name on it, you probably shouldn't hit send"
Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4618971
08/25/14 03:24 PM
08/25/14 03:24 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: snare1
I have had a few jobs ,few skunks and beaver jobs , BUT I also have a day job I would rather work a ADC JOB cause aspects of my real job stink, But where im from people don't REALLY want to PAY FOR REMOVAL so how do I figure my time gas money and not lose , I FEEL THE LAST JOB I LOST . how do you guys figure out rates on your animal removal jobs? BEAVERS , SKUNKS , COONS,?

You already know why you don't make money - read the sentence in red. If the people in your service area are poor, and want you to work cheap, and you do work cheap, then you are setting youself up to fail.
You have to find customers who have money, and will pay well for your service. If you can do this you will make money. If you cannot, keep your day job.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4619039
08/25/14 04:26 PM
08/25/14 04:26 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Just because Phil moved, doesn't mean he can no longer read or write. His answer to snare1 may not have been the kindest but it certainly was the best! ( Now if only he would send me some of that red ink! )

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4619184
08/25/14 06:38 PM
08/25/14 06:38 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: snare1
CALL FOR QOUTES
....so DO IT!

Call from a friends or pay phone and ask for a quote.

Next week, do it again, but use a different phone and a different animal needing removed.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4619289
08/25/14 07:58 PM
08/25/14 07:58 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
If you want to find what others charge in your state call a company in a comparable area outside the area you would service. Be honest with the person who answers the phone. If they are not busy you will learn more than what to charge. You will inevitably get a call in that area and have someone to refer the customer to. Good to have friends in your state that you can ask a question when you get a head scratcher of a job.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: snare1] #4619376
08/25/14 08:52 PM
08/25/14 08:52 PM
ohio foothills
snare1 Offline OP
trapper
snare1  Offline OP
trapper

ohio foothills
I am liscensed in Ohio, and yep all what you guys said i have considered and yes Phil is probaly correct, I probaly just need to go to work for an ADC agency that may have it all figured out. Its A passion I like being helpful but right now I ve gotta keep on workin at it and quit losin money.

Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4625875
08/30/14 12:12 PM
08/30/14 12:12 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Just because Phil moved, doesn't mean he can no longer read or write. His answer to snare1 may not have been the kindest but it certainly was the best! ( Now if only he would send me some of that red ink! )

...I think it's some a that secret IRS red ink that does not officially exist...

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: how in the world do i figure out my WORTH [Re: Dirk Shearer] #4625982
08/30/14 02:19 PM
08/30/14 02:19 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: Dirk Shearer
This is real close to what Ron stated was the consensus break even point. But keep in mind, not every hour is billable. That is why I price our jobs based on performance and not hourly. I am limited in the number of hours in a day. I am not limited in the number of tasks I can perform or the prices I charge for each individual task.

Good point... I am NOT suggesting a charge-by-the-hour approach. I'm just tossing out that figure as a starting point to determine a pricing structure. I charge by the job, not by the animal or visit. Taking into consideration the number of trips "likely" to be required (learned through time in business), travel time (distance to site), access, and other variables all get tossed into the mix when determining a price for a job. It takes some time before you figure it all out (actually you never will, as none of us do), and you'll make plenty of pricing mistakes in the process.

The examples from Eric and Dirk are both very helpful. Pricing structures require a business-minded approach, which means step one is to forget you ever sold an animal to the fur buyer. Most customers (at least in the areas where people will PAY for wildlife control) don't even know fur trapping exists, so do not make the mistake of basing a business on the "If I catch more I'll make more" premise. You are paid to solve problems, not catch animals. Catching animals just happens to be included in providing a solution.

Ron Scheller

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread