ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
The kiss of death #4612869
08/21/14 04:46 AM
08/21/14 04:46 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
Hello All,

My phone technique is evolving from when I first started my business but, it still needs work. This forum has taught me a lot on the manner of phone etiquette. Thank you.

I now chat up the potential client and I no longer "lead off with a price quote". However, I have been getting a lot of this lately, "Let me talk to my wife/husband and I will get back with you." When I hear that I know the potential deal is dead.

When I do a follow up call they don't answer the phone or they have called from work and I get the company operator.

How can I prevent this from happening? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Chuck

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: The kiss of death [Re: Coondog6] #4612893
08/21/14 05:57 AM
08/21/14 05:57 AM
NE, NC
B
Big Bear Wildlif Offline
trapper
Big Bear Wildlif  Offline
trapper
B

NE, NC
Your doing nothing wrong. Just move on to the next call that comes in. If they wanted to pay you, it would have happened most likely on the first conversation. I just say if there is anything I can help you with, let me know. Chasing jobs never work for us.

Be Green, Buy Fur.
NE- NC
Re: The kiss of death [Re: Coondog6] #4612946
08/21/14 07:28 AM
08/21/14 07:28 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
I would never consider those calls dead. Many of those calls do turn into customers, maybe just not immediately. I took a lot of lessons from Kirk La Pierre many years ago, and paid close attention to what he was saying at the seminars we attended. One story he used to tell was about what he would do when a husband responded as you have described, saying they had to discuss it with their wife, before making any decisions. He would tell them, "Yes Sir, I can understand, that's the way it is in my family also, she wears the pants here too..." LOL He claimed a good share of them hired him on the spot after that. He sure was a character, and is missed by many. Also like stated above, I would never chase a job in those situations, if you were informative about your services, honest and polite, enough will call you back.

Re: The kiss of death [Re: Coondog6] #4613737
08/21/14 06:40 PM
08/21/14 06:40 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
"If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy", I've found that when the hubby say's he needs to check with the wife, it means her complaining hasn't reached the "dig out the checkbook" stage yet. The flip side could go either way.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: The kiss of death [Re: Coondog6] #4614120
08/21/14 10:24 PM
08/21/14 10:24 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I'll do a follow up. It only takes a few seconds to dial the phone. Who doesn't have a few seconds extra each day.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread