ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
targeting skunks?... #4598157
08/11/14 07:23 PM
08/11/14 07:23 PM
mn
B
berki Offline OP
trapper
berki  Offline OP
trapper
B

mn
Thinking about getting some skunks.
how do ypu guys get them without getting coon or some other non target animal?

Re: targeting skunks?... [Re: berki] #4598191
08/11/14 07:44 PM
08/11/14 07:44 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
You don't. Anything a skunk will eat, so will a coon or possum.

Re: targeting skunks?... [Re: berki] #4598212
08/11/14 07:52 PM
08/11/14 07:52 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
The trap seems to be more effective for me if it has some smell of a previous skunk in it. A tube trap depending on type, size, and how set would have berring.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: targeting skunks?... [Re: berki] #4598264
08/11/14 08:14 PM
08/11/14 08:14 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
What Jim Bethell said, but I've had pretty good success using imitation vanilla and crumbled vanilla wafers. The trick is to set several cages to up the odds of catching mr.stinky. Another trick is to use smaller 5X5 cages.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: targeting skunks?... [Re: berki] #4598368
08/11/14 08:59 PM
08/11/14 08:59 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
First, are you just setting a trap in the middle of the yard hoping to catch a skunk or do you plan to trail set or set on the den site?

This will help determine not only the type of set to make, but also the trap and baiting method to use.

For more "open" sets, using a smaller trap will help keep non targets out of the set. You can use a 5 x 5 (although I feel this is small for an open set), 6 x 6, 7 x 7 or tube style trap baited with a good commercial bait from Jameson, Erickson, or Jones along with a trailing lure. Just remember that the bigger you go, the more opportunity other animals have to enter the trap.

If doing blind trail sets where the skunk is entering the yard go with a double door style trap without bait or lure. Again, if you want to keep out as many non targets as possible, go with smaller sizes or tube style traps although there is nothing wrong with using the larger double door traps. You can choose from several models made by Advanced Trap, Comstock, or Tomahawk for double door traps.

For den sets, you can use either an open approach (similar to the open set I've already discussed) put at 90 degrees to the den or go with nose cones and positive sets. These sets will force the skunk into the trap as it exits the den. Most traps will work in this situation, but I personally don't like anything larger than 7 x 7 x 24 for skunks and prefer even smaller. I'm testing several different styles this year including a 5 x 5 x 36 I've designed along with the AES 6 x 6 x 24 which I think has a lot of promise. I don't feel bait is necessary with these types of sets but you should put another trap facing away from the positive set to catch anything that wasn't in the den when the set was made.

Last edited by WCT; 08/11/14 09:02 PM. Reason: added content

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread