ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Summer Time Red Fox Set #4544234
07/03/14 03:15 PM
07/03/14 03:15 PM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
Hello All,

Down to five chickens, don't want to loss any more.

I can't shoot the fox to close to the road.

What sets are good in the summer to catch red fox?

Thanks

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4544240
07/03/14 03:27 PM
07/03/14 03:27 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
What sets have you tried so far?

Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4544244
07/03/14 03:38 PM
07/03/14 03:38 PM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
None, never tried trapping fox

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4544261
07/03/14 04:02 PM
07/03/14 04:02 PM
OH
M
mousie Offline
trapper
mousie  Offline
trapper
M

OH
dirt holes have caught more foxes than any other one set. that said you might want to figure out the path the foxes are coming in and ambush them there. once the foxes are near the chickens a baited set wont hold much interest!

never make someone a priority when they make you an option !
Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4544313
07/03/14 04:56 PM
07/03/14 04:56 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
This is just to give ideas for thought you might try.

Put a live chicken in a large coon cage or large trap. Place up against backing. Make sure bird has waterer and a feeder. Cover top with hay or debris because of rain and sun. Place two foot holds as you would a walk thru set in front of the caged bird. Lean a large piece of plywood over cage and set traps, ( like a lean to). Fox will get caught going after bird. Lean to, forms a hall way for him to follow.

Here are two examples only using a trap. Trap door is propped open. Use plywood in place of the trap so the opening is not so large. The examples will give you an idea as to trap placement and set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8JVE_7xtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7p9K3DcLf8

Or set a large cage parralell to the bird cage. Set so as the fox will follow the bird into the trap.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Kirk De] #4544775
07/03/14 10:50 PM
07/03/14 10:50 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Where is the den?

Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4544868
07/04/14 12:37 AM
07/04/14 12:37 AM
OH
M
mousie Offline
trapper
mousie  Offline
trapper
M

OH
probably wont be using the original den this late in the season.

never make someone a priority when they make you an option !
Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4549702
07/08/14 10:08 AM
07/08/14 10:08 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
The den is across the street on my neighbors property.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4563280
07/18/14 10:38 PM
07/18/14 10:38 PM
ME
B
Bob Noonan Offline
trapper
Bob Noonan  Offline
trapper
B

ME
I get at least one fox call a summer, sometimes 3 or 4. Not many. It's usually around June, when adult fox are feeding pups and they have kind of cleaned up a lot of available wild food, and the pups are getting both bigger and hungrier, so the fox get more desperate. They then will get bolder and come right into a yardand nab one, esp. if the chickens or ducks are free ranged and not behind screen. They'll sometimes do this in plain sight of the owner.

I make two dirt holes near the approach area, one baited with Rob Erickson (On Target) Golden Maze paste bait, a great summertime sweet corn bait as it's heat and rain resistant and also takes a week or more to dry out. Everything likes this stuff, esp. fox, skunks and coon. The next set is baited with On target's Honey Gland. One hole will have just a touch of red fox gland lure, the other a touch of red fox urine. Usually have one or both fox the first night.

Fox usually sneak through thick vegetation for cover, then charge out into the open and grab a bird, and take off with it. If they're successful and not disturbed they tend to use the same ambush spot so after a couple hits they leave a slight but discenible trail through the thick weeds and grasses. Hang a 5/64 or 1/16 snare, loop about 6 inches wide, with the bottom 5-6 inches off the ground, depending on how thick the vegetation, and if they use the approach again you have them. Snares are deadly. Don't do this if the customer has cats roaming around, might snag one.

Sometimes poultry eating fox get really habituated to people and can be fairly bold, letting themselves be seen standing in plain sight 20 yards or so away. Through the years I've shot about a dozen or so of these fearless fox by using a game call, dying rabbit or fawn bleat. They run out in the open and stare at you, and a 12 gauge with copperplated #4s or copper BBs will dump them.

If its July and the pups are big enough to be out running around, but still hanging around the dn, the whole litter can be caught in a night or two, with footholds and dirt holes around the den, baited again with Golden Maze or Honey Gland. No lure or urine needed, the pups are always hungry and easy to catch. I'm sure other commercial summer ADC paste baits will work too. I use the smaller #11 double longspring on pups, no foot damage. I've had landowners request the pups be taken to a rehabilitator.

Adult fox feeding pups will kill poultry up to a mile away from a den, and lug it back. A couple times, in late may or early June, when pups are still very small, I've found the den within a couple hundred yards of the chicken yard. I got on my knees and rubbed my hands all around and in the dirt around and in the entrance, to stink it up, then peed down the hole. The den was abandoned next day. Don't know how far they moved, but the killing stopped, which was all that mattered anyway. Don't know if this would work every time.

Most poultry predation by fox is done by mid to late July because the pups are mobile enough to feed themselves a lot. Fox are leery of people and usually only prey on poultry when desperate. Raccoons, though, will do it all year, right up to hibernation. They're not feeding pups - they're feeding themselves. In my experience here, well over 75% of my poultry predation calls prove to be coon. Fox get blamed for a lot of coon suppers. - Bob

Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4581928
07/31/14 06:54 PM
07/31/14 06:54 PM
SE Idaho
M
Mabey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mabey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

SE Idaho
A dirt hole set with a 1.65 bridger is probably going to be the best bet for summer fox. put a chicken egg or similar substitute down in the whole and maybe a shot of urine and you're set . make sure to set the trap on the path

Re: Summer Time Red Fox Set [Re: Coondog6] #4587651
08/04/14 09:29 PM
08/04/14 09:29 PM
Oxford, Michigan
A
Aaron Curtis Offline
trapper
Aaron Curtis  Offline
trapper
A

Oxford, Michigan
Have you see the fox get any of the chickens? This may not be the case in your situation but I have seen plenty of fox killed chickens that were killed by coons. Fox get the blame a lot but coons can really work them over good too. We had chickens growing up and still have them and whenever I have dead ones its almost always from a coon(s).

Last edited by Aaron Curtis; 08/04/14 09:30 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread