ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Need mole help from the professionals!! #4566396
07/21/14 10:01 AM
07/21/14 10:01 AM
West Virginia, the best Virgin...
WVtrappin1204 Offline OP
trapper
WVtrappin1204  Offline OP
trapper

Hey all,

My wife and I are buying a new house and the backyard has a bit of a mole problem. Every time I go to visit or take some measurements for something, there are new mounds of dirt popping up. Now, I've got plenty of foot-hold, body-gripper, and snare experience, but I've never had to mess with moles before. We are in North-Central WV. What types of traps should I look into? Are there any good videos out there that I should research? What are your all's thoughts? And thanks ahead of time for the response. I'll be sure to keep you updated...with pictures grin

-Cody

Montani semper liberi
Re: Need mole help from the professionals!! [Re: WVtrappin1204] #4566452
07/21/14 11:10 AM
07/21/14 11:10 AM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Need mole help from the professionals!! [Re: WVtrappin1204] #4566980
07/21/14 06:55 PM
07/21/14 06:55 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I have a much bigger problems with moles than most of you. While I have read an awful lot of information and posts on different kinds

of moles and how to deal with them, I have a very serious question: How come I've never seen one? Are there any other places in

America that have absolutely no moles besides southeast Wisconsin? And why is it that we have no moles? ( Don't get me wrong. I have

enough crabby customers now ) I just figured if it was something like the soil, I could start bagging it up and shipping it all over.

I have no problem helping the next guy getting rid of moles. ( Then maybe he could help me get rid of coyotes and rabbits )

Re: Need mole help from the professionals!! [Re: WVtrappin1204] #4581418
07/31/14 12:05 PM
07/31/14 12:05 PM
WVtrappin1204 Offline OP
trapper
WVtrappin1204  Offline OP
trapper

Thanks for the links. I ended up ordering 4 of the Albano traps. They seem to a very tough little trap. I just checked the tracking number and they should have been delivered today (while I'm stuck here at work). I'll get to play with them when I get home. And try to keep all of my fingers...!

Montani semper liberi
Re: Need mole help from the professionals!! [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4581458
07/31/14 12:43 PM
07/31/14 12:43 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
I have a much bigger problems with moles than most of you. While I have read an awful lot of information and posts on different kinds

of moles and how to deal with them, I have a very serious question: How come I've never seen one? Are there any other places in

America that have absolutely no moles besides southeast Wisconsin? And why is it that we have no moles? ( Don't get me wrong. I have

enough crabby customers now ) I just figured if it was something like the soil, I could start bagging it up and shipping it all over.

I have no problem helping the next guy getting rid of moles. ( Then maybe he could help me get rid of coyotes and rabbits )

Paul, it is because your area probably has no earthworms. In the areas scoured clean by glaciers in the last ice age the worms were wiped out along with everything the glaciers removed including the moles that fed on them. Of course I am only assuming you have no earthworms, if you do they might be recent imports, geologically speaking or the recent past in your case. wink

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialanimals/earthworms/index.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/invasive-earthworms-denude-forests/

[Linked Image]
Re: Need mole help from the professionals!! [Re: WVtrappin1204] #4582449
08/01/14 12:14 AM
08/01/14 12:14 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Wear good leather gloves while learning how to use them. I was looking at them at a vendor display at a WCT seminar several years ago when I don't know exactly what I did wrong but it was like a little Bruce Lee in my hand poking a hole in my finger. I walked off like nothing happened and as soon as I was out of everyones sight I started break dancing and sucking and kissing on my finger then went back to class like it never happened.
I have since learned how to set them and have.nt went exclusively to them but they are a very effective trap maybe not efficient in all situations but very effective.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread