ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: first attempt at ADC [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN] #4575279
07/27/14 12:26 PM
07/27/14 12:26 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Smallcreek, the spread from skunk to skunk in a communal den where they all move around beneath the same tight area and leave saliva in a wet/cool environment, along with any nose to nose contact and even bites would be the likely route of transmission. Outside of the NTA materials does anyone supporting this airborne skunk rabies aspect have a citation from a scientifically published disease report on skunks from the CDC or anyone in wildlife disease research?

If this was the case, why not coons in a den tree or den during the winter, same thing happens with them in terms of large numbers often in one site.

Theories are dangerous as that is all they are. Saying that skunks are creating rabies filled air should raise flags for everyone reading this.

I suppose I need to raise my rates and get a PAPR before I crawl into the next crawl space for fear I might come out foaming at the mouth.

Sorry but this is honestly one of the worst things I've seen in awhile being posited here.

Justin

(Oh, and not related in the least the the new guys question of course....)

(Also going to cause a dip in positive set cage traps I bet since one place they go is right on the entrance to the den.....)

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 07/27/14 12:31 PM.
Re: first attempt at ADC [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN] #4575439
07/27/14 02:34 PM
07/27/14 02:34 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Info I have read:
In 2 seperate incidents, 2 Bat cave explorers are known to have contracted rabies just from breathing the air in the cave. Ref: NTA Trappers Handbook.
That's why skunks are so famous as a vector for the disease, as they like to pile into a den and will rarely spend more than 1 day/night in the same cave. Coon will sometimes use the unoccupied den and can contract it also. It is recommended to NOT stick your head into a den hole to look around because of this. Apparently sunlight will kill the virus in minutes.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: first attempt at ADC [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN] #4575537
07/27/14 03:49 PM
07/27/14 03:49 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Bob, the bat cases are the equivalent of the most rare events not a norm or you can bet cavers who rarely have anything but a helmet for safety would not be entering caves most of which pre WNS have at least some if not gobs of bats in them.

The air in those two cases was found to be so high with ammonia and other related issues to urine and guano deposits that it would hardly be considered typical of any wildlife environment. Mexican free tailed bats are known to have adapted to these high concentrations.

The other aspect is folks hardly ever tell the 100% truth about whether they had another route of transmission occur, ie I was in a cave and grabbed a bat to take a photo and it bit me..

Think about the park service and other state and fed agencies if airborne rabies in caves was anything they considered statistically plausible as a risk. Liability is the key word here, you wouldn't be allowed in caves on public land without ppe or signed waivers or both.

Back to skunks, in a tight space you can bet they are crawling near enough each other to spread through physical contact. I've been in crawl spaces and watched one adult move over to another and that is one time I was there for 5 min.

What happens all winter.

Again I'll drop this as obviously folks aren't as concerned as I am about misconstrued information from the NTAs handbook, but let's all agree that if airborne rabies was a real deal on a daily basis we'd all be running from all the rabid wildlife, domestics and yes people who would have contracted it!

Bites and saliva exchange are the primary route.... Period, all other isn't worth talking about.

Have a good rest of your Sunday folks...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread