ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Turkey Trapping #4569153
07/23/14 02:14 AM
07/23/14 02:14 AM
Sacramento, CA
P
Paul James Offline OP
trapper
Paul James  Offline OP
trapper
P

Sacramento, CA
I have a situation where I can only trap a turkey. I am not allowed to use a gun, bow, or anything like it since it is near a commercial property. The wild turkey comes on the site everyday. The time is not always consistent that they see the turkey. I did find the next with about 10 eggs, but there was no turkey there. I went about 10am. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to trap it?

2. Will the turkey sit on the eggs all night? If I go right up to the turkey while it is on the eggs, will it run away? I have a large net that I can try to net him or I also have a catch pole that is about 8 feet long.

Re: Turkey Trapping [Re: Paul James] #4569176
07/23/14 05:48 AM
07/23/14 05:48 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
DEC uses rockets to deploy nets on them.

can you snare their legs on approaches to the nest?

Re: Turkey Trapping [Re: Paul James] #4569208
07/23/14 07:05 AM
07/23/14 07:05 AM
MI
lebowski Offline
trapper
lebowski  Offline
trapper

MI
this is a joke right??

Do you know anything about turkeys? They roost in trees, they don't sleep on the ground.

If you try to catch it with a catch pole net, please video tape it and post it. We would all love to see your "Technique"

Originally Posted By: Paul James

2. Will the turkey sit on the eggs all night? If I go right up to the turkey while it is on the eggs, will it run away? I have a large net that I can try to net him or I also have a catch pole that is about 8 feet long.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

--The Dude
Re: Turkey Trapping [Re: lebowski] #4569243
07/23/14 07:54 AM
07/23/14 07:54 AM
Sacramento Mountains NM
mtncat Offline
trapper
mtncat  Offline
trapper

Sacramento Mountains NM
[quote=lebowski]this is a joke right??

Do you know anything about turkeys? They roost in trees, they don't sleep on the ground.

If you try to catch it with a catch pole net, please video tape it and post it. We would all love to see your "Technique"

Doubt this is a joke.
While you are correct that turkey roost in trees, they do in fact nest on the ground. Once the last egg is laid the hen spends the night on the ground until a week or so after they hatch!

Not sure what a "catch pole net" is. However using a drop net will probably be the best way to catch her.

Not sure of the legal issues of that where Paul James is located. Some places it's not legal to mess with a nesting bird.

Last edited by mtncat; 07/23/14 07:54 AM.

Re: Turkey Trapping [Re: Paul James] #4569473
07/23/14 11:42 AM
07/23/14 11:42 AM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I would have thought all eggs would have been hatched by now and poulits would be roosting in the trees with momma. Are you sure the nest is even being sat on? Something may have driven the hen from the nest and she has abandoned it. And toms have nothing to do with raising the young. Its all done by the hen. I would harass the turkey until it left the area on its own. Make sure though that the turkey ISN'T sitting on the nest first.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Turkey Trapping [Re: Paul James] #4569545
07/23/14 12:55 PM
07/23/14 12:55 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
I have a situation where I can only trap a turkey. I am not allowed to use a gun, bow, or anything like it since it is near a commercial property. The wild turkey comes on the site everyday. The time is not always consistent that they see the turkey. I did find the next with about 10 eggs, but there was no turkey there. I went about 10am. My questions are:

1. Probably a drop net. Use cracked corn or game bird feed as bait.

2. A turkey will certainly sit on the nest all night. If you approach, it will run or fly away. A hand held net or catch pole wont do much good with a wild turkey.

wormbobskey is right about the timing but sometimes the hens will lay a second clutch if the first was unsuccessful.

My question is, what problem is this turkey causing?

Re: Turkey Trapping [Re: Paul James] #4569829
07/23/14 04:54 PM
07/23/14 04:54 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I will certainly be interested in the outcome of this story. Earlier this year, we were asked to do the same thing. The turkey was

attacking people. ( No it wasn't. People were feeding it and it connected people to food ) After chasing it around for nearly three

weeks, I got off a good clean shot with my air rifle. To tell the truth, I was happier with that turkey than I have been with some

deer. ( Probably because nobody was paying me to shoot deer ) Being perfectly honest, we never lose money on deer. I can't say

the same about that turkey. Hey, it was our first turkey job. We have probably all lost money on one species or another. And the

species that usual causes the greatest loss is the female species. Kind of explains why my wife is the boss, rather than a recipient

of huge alimony checks. ( Besides, I love her. She told me so )

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread