ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Start up essentials #4556797
07/14/14 03:27 AM
07/14/14 03:27 AM
Purgitsville, WV
D
ddavy5401 Offline OP
trapper
ddavy5401  Offline OP
trapper
D

Purgitsville, WV
So for you guys that have been in the business for a while I was wondering what might be some essentials that you feel you would need to ensure you get the job done. I was recently approached by the local DNR about becoming a ADC agent and I want to see what all I may need to purchase before committing right away. I obviously have traps so I'm asking for other necessary equipment to be successful.

Thanks in advance, Dean

Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4556849
07/14/14 06:24 AM
07/14/14 06:24 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline
trapper
Coondog6  Offline
trapper

New Hampshire
1. Insurance
2. Ladder

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4556851
07/14/14 06:27 AM
07/14/14 06:27 AM
N. Idaho
B
burke243 Offline
trapper
burke243  Offline
trapper
B

N. Idaho
band aids
lower IQ

Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4556870
07/14/14 07:22 AM
07/14/14 07:22 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
The "essentials" will depend on what you will be doing.

Will you be doing work for a specific species like coyote or beaver? Will you be working in a urban, suburban, or rural area? Will you be offering/performing structure repair or habitat modification? Will you be able to recover the costs for business expenses in your anticipated service area?

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing this, but I can say that in most cases when the DNR talks to you about offering services they don't understand what your costs are and are thinking more along the lines of fur trapping versus a service business.

If you will be doing anything aside from catching coyote, beaver, voles and moles you will need cage traps and most likely you will need an assortment of different styles. This is an investment that easily run from $25 - $400 per trap. If you need to access structures then you'll need ladders and OSHA approved safety equipment. To haul the ladders around you'll need some sort of ladder rack or carrier. To haul/carry your ladder carrier you'll need a vehicle. If you're doing a lot of rural work, most likely you'll need a 4 wheel drive vehicle along with a smaller vehicle to access site locations. If you're including repair work, you'll need construction equipment and tools. You'll need insurance to cover not only your liability, but also your work vehicle and all your equipment.

But most importantly, you'll need a client base that is willing and able to pay several hundred dollars for your services.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4556908
07/14/14 08:29 AM
07/14/14 08:29 AM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Operating cash.

Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4556985
07/14/14 09:56 AM
07/14/14 09:56 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
You didn't mention what species you would be removing or if this is city or country trapping. We do nearly all city trapping and I haven't seen my footholds since I put them away 26 years ago.

Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4558116
07/15/14 06:47 AM
07/15/14 06:47 AM
Luray,VA
M
Mike Hurley Offline
trapper
Mike Hurley  Offline
trapper
M

Luray,VA
advertising...You have to get jobs!

Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4558452
07/15/14 12:28 PM
07/15/14 12:28 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Dean,

I'd agree with what Eric said not to discount any of the other sound advice, govt. agencies rarely understand the pricing structure needed
for this type of business to run, simply because they don't operate that way.

Being sure you have enough market for the species you want to work with, the business skills, ability to market effectively, remedy the issues
being caused by the wildlife you want to cover, etc...

No need to spend a ton of funds starting up you can acquire more gear as needed, plenty of folks roll with very little "special" equipment and make the money they desire, though you can open a WCS catalog and unload your credit card on it (I've done this lol!), 20/20 hindsight makes me tell anyone starting up to not buy what you don't need to start, just use common sense about the things you will use every day.

Hand tools, traps, power tools, vehicle, insurance, advertising, etc....

In this day and age if you suddenly find yourself needing some sort of specialty equipment or tool, it is rare that you can't get that overnight even if the shipping bites, buying it and staring at it collecting dust is the bane of my existence....

Good luck!

Justin

Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4574190
07/26/14 04:39 PM
07/26/14 04:39 PM
Purgitsville, WV
D
ddavy5401 Offline OP
trapper
ddavy5401  Offline OP
trapper
D

Purgitsville, WV
Wow, Sorry its been so long with my replys to this. You guys bring up some great points (most I have thought about but others apperntly I need to). I never thought about the repairs part.. The ladders I have also. I was planning on starting the operations (or trying to) with what I have now. I have several cages traps in various sizes, DP's, and several dozen leg holds and coni's. I was thinking of puchasing a utility truck for the start-up but I have since decided against it, until I see how things go the 1st year or so.

I also have or have easy access to about any hand or power tool that I may ever need, and plenty of construction experience. I never thought of offering services for any repairs done by any critters.. Obviously I would repair anything I may damage.

I feel fairly confident that I could get enough business locally that I could fully support a steady income in my area. I recieve calls every year to remove skunks from residents of the local towns in my area. I also searched for licensed ADC trappers in my area and there is only one within about 80 mile radious. I do however have a full time job so until I see if things are going to be steady or not I wouldnt have all of my eggs in one basket..

Getting my name out is another head scratcher?? Other than word of mouth Im not sure how to go about it. Facebook is free option, I would like to hit the Radio waves but I can not justify the cost for that right away.

Also in WV we are required to carry insurance on our vehicles and I have health insurance through my full time job now. I assume I should look into coverage for any accidental damages that may occur form me while on a job site though.

Thanks for the great ideas gents, keep them coming if you have anymore..

Re: Start up essentials [Re: ddavy5401] #4577127
07/28/14 06:49 PM
07/28/14 06:49 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
A smart phone to take pictures and easily show or send to your customer, with a flashlight app in case your real one quits working in a dark place, and call someone if in a spot you need help getting out of.
Wasp spray
A sense of humour to see the funny side of unfunny
Network of friends in the business
Network of friends not in this business
Go to seminars as much as u can
If you see the need do something for free but don't do anything cheap
A multi tool it's not the best tool for anything but a good tool for a lot of things

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread