ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
rabbits? how do you guys control them? #4547236
07/06/14 09:56 AM
07/06/14 09:56 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline OP
trapper
TRapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central IA
i have been in wildlife work for 12 years but never really thought about rabbit work...how do you guys control em if you do? trapping? exclusion?

Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4547250
07/06/14 10:13 AM
07/06/14 10:13 AM
GA
trapperjim30557 Offline
trapper
trapperjim30557  Offline
trapper

GA
Depends on the damage they are causing.If its a large garden I would say box type traps will take care of the problem.They are fairly easy to shoot in the early morning and late evening also.Flower beds can be fenced.You can put metal flashing or paint on small fruit trees to save them.Just what works for me I'm far from an expert

Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4547620
07/06/14 04:04 PM
07/06/14 04:04 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Joshua, I am so proud of you! I have been asking this same question forever. So far nobody has come up with a cure-all method. If I

can catch all of your raccoons, squirrels, and skunks, why can't I make an extra $450,000 ( Okay, maybe that's a little much ) by

catching the customer's darn cottontails?

Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4547709
07/06/14 05:28 PM
07/06/14 05:28 PM
Manchester Vt
O
OneHandSetters Offline
trapper
OneHandSetters  Offline
trapper
O

Manchester Vt
Some where on here it was said to use a wooden rabbit box instead of a wire cage.
There was directions on how to make them if i remember right, but don't count on my memory.
They seem to have much better results with the wooden box.
I did not save it and i was going to. I do not have to many rabbit calls.
Dave

Knowledge is power, that becomes worthless unless you pass it on!
Home of the One Hand Setters! on Face Book
davidfsheldonjr@gmail.com
Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4547739
07/06/14 05:54 PM
07/06/14 05:54 PM
Cumbria England
C
coney catcher Offline
trapper
coney catcher  Offline
trapper
C

Cumbria England
This one i think i can add a bit too, i have been hunting and controlling Rabbits for over 40 years, using many methods,we have a lot of rabbits in this country at the moment and i probably make 25% of my earnings catching them,
some of the methods i use
Lamping: we run lurchers trained to run the lamp, wet windy nights are the best,rabbits are spotted with a powerful lamp and the dog is slipped hopefully the dog catches rabbit after a short run ,retreives it, rabbit is dispatched,dog back on slip lead and away we go again,best catch we had in one night was 108 with 2 dogs.
Fereting: when this goes right this is probably the best sportin the world,ferrets are put down the rabbit holes [ warrens] to chase them out, we net the holes with purse nets or surround the warren with a long net attached to poles, we also use the lurchers to catch the bolting rabbits, things can go wrong when the ferrets kill down the holes and you have to dig them out, deepest dig to date to r
retreive a ferret 11ft. some warrens can consist of upto 40 to 50 holes

other methods we use are snaring, trapping with mk6 fenns and cage traps and just this last week i have put some drop boxes in a rabbit proof fence, also shoot a lot with the 22 lr

these are a few methods we use and i hope you find them interesting, if i knew how to put up photoes i would put some on ,i will have to get my lad to sort it for me

A mans heart hardens and grows cold when away from nature
Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4547899
07/06/14 08:12 PM
07/06/14 08:12 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Unfortunately the cottontail rabbit doesn't use warrens. While they may like to stay under a shed or a deck, holes have no interest to them. I'm sure I could probably do alright with an air rifle, "but what would the neighbors say?" Man, I get sick of that phrase.

We used to own four ferrets so I envy you the fun.

Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4547934
07/06/14 08:32 PM
07/06/14 08:32 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline OP
trapper
TRapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central IA
when i ran a business in sw mo i used to catch a lot of armadillos for clients using long wire fences staked in the lawn with a cage trap every 25 feet...never caught a rabbit that i remember but am thinking something like this would work...wonder if i should use a 2 door trap?

Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: coney catcher] #4550158
07/08/14 05:11 PM
07/08/14 05:11 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Originally Posted By: coney catcher
This one i think i can add a bit too, i have been hunting and controlling Rabbits for over 40 years, using many methods,we have a lot of rabbits in this country at the moment and i probably make 25% of my earnings catching them,
some of the methods i use
Lamping: we run lurchers trained to run the lamp, wet windy nights are the best,rabbits are spotted with a powerful lamp and the dog is slipped hopefully the dog catches rabbit after a short run ,retreives it, rabbit is dispatched,dog back on slip lead and away we go again,best catch we had in one night was 108 with 2 dogs.
Fereting: when this goes right this is probably the best sportin the world,ferrets are put down the rabbit holes [ warrens] to chase them out, we net the holes with purse nets or surround the warren with a long net attached to poles, we also use the lurchers to catch the bolting rabbits, things can go wrong when the ferrets kill down the holes and you have to dig them out, deepest dig to date to r
retreive a ferret 11ft. some warrens can consist of upto 40 to 50 holes

other methods we use are snaring, trapping with mk6 fenns and cage traps and just this last week i have put some drop boxes in a rabbit proof fence, also shoot a lot with the 22 lr

these are a few methods we use and i hope you find them interesting, if i knew how to put up photoes i would put some on ,i will have to get my lad to sort it for me

How did you find out where the ferret was at 11 foot deep?

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4550173
07/08/14 05:24 PM
07/08/14 05:24 PM
Cumbria England
C
coney catcher Offline
trapper
coney catcher  Offline
trapper
C

Cumbria England
We use ferret locators ,small transmitter on a collar and a hand held receiver , a bit like a hound tracking collar,
would never go ferreting without one,

A mans heart hardens and grows cold when away from nature
Re: rabbits? how do you guys control them? [Re: TRapper] #4550192
07/08/14 05:42 PM
07/08/14 05:42 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
That is really cool! I'm beginning to change my whole opinion on the mother country.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread