ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Best squirrel traps #4541785
07/01/14 05:35 PM
07/01/14 05:35 PM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
What are the best? Opinions?

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience! Emerson
Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4541793
07/01/14 05:40 PM
07/01/14 05:40 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
Lots of good ones out there. These are my favorite:

Comstock Custom Cages

Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4541797
07/01/14 05:44 PM
07/01/14 05:44 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Those developed by LT, put into production by 330trapper, and now owned and built by Lundy are my favorites.
Next to those WCS squirrel specials are my next choice.

Of course ninety percent of the time though I set a duke 1 10 magnum and get the job done quick.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4541839
07/01/14 06:13 PM
07/01/14 06:13 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
It depends on how you plan to use them.

For positive single or multicatch sets I really like the ones from Fields Development Supply (www.fieldsdevsupply.com). You mount the nose cone and then insert the appropriate trap into it. To switch out traps, just lift up on the retaining spring and slide the trap out then insert the replacement. What I appreciate about this system the most is unlike other models where you have to uninstall the screws in the mounting wings to take it down and swap it out the only attachment you need to worry about is the nose cone and that stays in place until the job is done.

For baited individual catch traps, I like the Tomahawk (www.livetrap.com)5 x 5 x 18 mounted to the gutter with Fields spring loaded gutter hook. I prefer the spring loaded gutter hooks over the aluminum gutter hooks as you'll have issues with half round gutters or gutters that have too much of a roof overlap. I used to use the Safeguard 5 x 5 x 18 but they got to the point they wouldn't survive after the first catch without having to make repairs of some sort to. I just purchases a WCS (www.shopwcs.com) 5 x 5 x 18 with 1/2 x 1/2 wire, and the AES (www.aestraps.com) double catch traps but haven't been able to try them yet.

I've also used two models of the Comstock (www.comstockcustomcage.com) squirrel traps (5 x 5 x 24 and 3 x 5 x 24). Both of these are flush mount capable, panless swing panel double spring loaded door traps. They are primarily single catch walk through traps but I can see where you could get doubles in the right situation. The 3 x 5 can sit in a gutter if the screws or spikes are far enough apart. Due to how they are manufactured, you cannot really use the spring loaded gutter hooks with the 5 x 5 or 6 x 6 panless swing panel traps so you'd have to have external anchors like the Fields aluminum gutter hook or screws/wire to hold them in place.

If you're looking specifically at chipmunks, my go to trap is the Safeguard 3 x 3 x 10 metal trap covered with mulch and baited. These take mice, voles, and chipmunks very quickly and keep them out of sight.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4541936
07/01/14 07:50 PM
07/01/14 07:50 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
North40, it depends on what squirrels you are talking about. Where you are from, I would guess gray or fox squirrels. I have trouble getting fox squirrels in anything smaller than 6 x 6 x 18. But that is just me.

Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4542207
07/01/14 10:29 PM
07/01/14 10:29 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I can't speak for North but I know his area and I doubt he has more than a handful of fox squirrels in his entire county. My folks are from the next county over and I can recall seeing less than a half dozen fox squirrels in my lifetime there. They just don't do well in pine plantations. Maybe around agricultural areas along the river.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4542413
07/02/14 01:38 AM
07/02/14 01:38 AM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline
trapper
Lundy  Offline
trapper
L

North Branch MN
Most AES Traps have a release door on the back. You don't have to remove the trap to remove the animal. We also make a nose cone, with three clips to hold a trap, that you can change out the trap. We offer gravity doors on our traps to allow for multiple catches.
On a positive set, over a hole, multiple catches can occur even with a spring loaded door. We figure why make them fight a spring when they just want to get out.

Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4542482
07/02/14 06:58 AM
07/02/14 06:58 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
My favorite is the WCS Tube Trap followed by a 120 Conibear and then the WCS Special Squirrel Trap for when the kill traps aren't appropriate.

Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4542485
07/02/14 07:09 AM
07/02/14 07:09 AM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
Thanks for all the replies!

Like Warrior said it's mostly grey squirrels here but the fox squirrels are making a good comeback.

I haven't had any use for squirrel traps yet but I wanted to get everyone's opinion and start picking up a few traps and learning to use them so I wouldn't be blind sided when I do need them. 90% of squirrel problems around here are still going to be handled with a gun but with residential areas growing I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience! Emerson
Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4542662
07/02/14 11:13 AM
07/02/14 11:13 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Like the traps Lundy mentions, Comstock squirrel traps also are available with nose cones for both the 5x5 and 6x6 models. The nose cones will work in any direction, top, bottom or from either side and have the unique ability to fit into corners like no other nose cones made. Our traps are more versatile than others simply because they are double door to catch animals coming or going from a den and can be used against structure or in trail set. They can be set in single or double door mode, with the second door offering the same options as a release door with the added benefit of the versatility of the double doors. Also, with powered doors these traps can be set vertically.

For those who are interested in multiple catch traps, I know Tomahawk offers gravity door squirrel packs to take more than one squirrel at a time with a unit that fits onto the wall in a positive set, which comes with two traps to simple swap out the full one for an empty.

With any of these traps springs may be added or subtracted at will easily to achieve the desired effect.

Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: North40R] #4543768
07/03/14 02:29 AM
07/03/14 02:29 AM
North Branch MN
L
Lundy Offline
trapper
Lundy  Offline
trapper
L

North Branch MN
I don't know, or care, how many people, or how much fancy equipment the other companies have. Me, my son, occasionally his friends and sometimes my wife build AES Traps one at a time. We made some design changes, adding gravity doors, to some great ideas. Scott Balts (330 Trapper) designed the first stacked double traps as far as I know. I see some other companies now make similar models. There are several different triggers available on spring loaded doors. The fact is, they all work, with the same result. There are some differences in gravity door designs too. The fact is, they all work.
You can get a light wire trap or a heavy wire trap from most builders. We only use heavy wire. Being hand made, our traps might not be perfect, but they are built with love and pride. They will stand up to any abuse. We will stand behind our product if there ever is a problem. We have a variety of traps that can be used in almost any set up.

Re: Best squirrel traps [Re: warrior] #4543855
07/03/14 08:06 AM
07/03/14 08:06 AM
OH
M
mousie Offline
trapper
mousie  Offline
trapper
M

OH
Originally Posted By: warrior
Those developed by LT, put into production by 330trapper, and now owned and built by Lundy are my favorites.
Next to those WCS squirrel specials are my next choice.

Of course ninety percent of the time though I set a duke 1 10 magnum and get the job done quick.

X2

never make someone a priority when they make you an option !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread