ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Respirators in the attic. #4539956
06/30/14 12:09 AM
06/30/14 12:09 AM
Mid-Michigan
S
Scott Ursiny Sr. Offline OP
trapper
Scott Ursiny Sr.  Offline OP
trapper
S

Mid-Michigan
For all you more experienced friends; what is the most recommended
or prefered respirator for arttic work? I have a dust particulate type, but know that it's best to ask than to assume. Thanks!

Scott Ursiny
Mid-Michigan Animal Control
616-841-8144

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
Re: Respirators in the attic. [Re: Scott Ursiny Sr.] #4539997
06/30/14 02:54 AM
06/30/14 02:54 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Scott,

The most official way to go just to be certain is to always follow OSHA and CDC guidelines for the type of approved
respirator or PPE.

That disclaimer being said, most folks are using particulate style that hold disposable cartridges in the P100 type.

If you are trying to keep attic insulation particles and airborne particles from guano, bird droppings, raccoon and other
this style is inline. Usually attached to either a half or full face rubber fitted mask with adjustable straps, though you
can go to a higher level if you like with a PAPR (this unit though pricey blows clean air into the covered hood and mask
area so that it keeps the bad out and you breathe air filtered through a cartridge system worn on the outfit. Some folks
don't like them, but they are the top end for protection.

Some folks would also protect their eyes depending on the type of materials you are removing, so consider the full face
option if you want to not have to wear separate eye protection.

Another disclaimer that is rarely discussed is the need to have fit testing done and to know that you are physically fit
and able to wear the unit. As an ex fed we were required to have this done annually to be allowed to wear the unit.

I'm sure you've worn a mask before and know as most due that your breathing can be more labored and this can put
more stress on you while working in tough conditions. Folks don't often think about the potential negatives that can
come from being in a respirator too long in a hot or just stress inducing work site.

Heat is a killer on its own, but heat, plus respirator and tyvek and gloves and you now are heading there quicker, so just
so I said it, consider those things too when planning your projects and work. I try to avoid hot attics just as any of the guys
on here do, but we all end up in them at some point so be careful, stay hydrated and understand the strain the respirator
and other ppe put on your body.

Hope that helps, I like northern safety for my filters and other gear and like the MSA rubber masks compared to others I've
tried.

Many on here have lots of experience with this topic but I noticed no one had posted yet so thought maybe I could help until
someone else chimes in.

Good luck,

Justin

Re: Respirators in the attic. [Re: Scott Ursiny Sr.] #4544873
07/04/14 12:51 AM
07/04/14 12:51 AM
Mid-Michigan
S
Scott Ursiny Sr. Offline OP
trapper
Scott Ursiny Sr.  Offline OP
trapper
S

Mid-Michigan
Thats a lot of awesome help! Thanks so much

Scott Ursiny
Mid-Michigan Animal Control
616-841-8144

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
Re: Respirators in the attic. [Re: Scott Ursiny Sr.] #6845202
04/16/20 09:57 PM
04/16/20 09:57 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Are you guys on this forum having trouble finding masks these days? Hopefully everyone had a few extra on hand.

Re: Respirators in the attic. [Re: Scott Ursiny Sr.] #6846117
04/17/20 06:43 PM
04/17/20 06:43 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
HD Wildlife is correct,you should be fit tested for the respirator that you wear and do proper cleaning/maintenance of that unit. You have to be clean shaved!

Re: Respirators in the attic. [Re: Scott Ursiny Sr.] #6846504
04/18/20 06:01 AM
04/18/20 06:01 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
We bought a bunch of cartridges when the craziness started.

I just looked at cartridge prices... holy chit!

Re: Respirators in the attic. [Re: Scott Ursiny Sr.] #6846505
04/18/20 06:04 AM
04/18/20 06:04 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I suppose that wasn't helpful. Try insulation supply houses in your area. The average Home Depot and Lowes customer won't think to try trade specific shops.

Re: Respirators in the attic. [Re: Scott Ursiny Sr.] #6851032
04/22/20 07:59 AM
04/22/20 07:59 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Yes, always wear a real respirator with replacement cartridges.
No simple paper filter dust mask.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread