Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#453959 - 12/10/07 01:48 PM Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one...
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Alrighty guys, if money were no option, what fleshing knife would you get? Necker 600, Necker 700, Sheffield, Blue English, just the regular type from MTP???

Got the regular one (biggest) from MTP and it works, but not great. Probably should put a better edge on it though. Looking at the Sheffield or the Necker. yeah, i know they are spendy, but I want GOOOD!

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#453969 - 12/10/07 01:54 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Alaskan]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
Well I have anecker 700 and like it a lot better than the 600. Caribou and Zeph are both nice, better than the necker I believe. My next one will be a Sheffield.

Edited by KYBOY (12/10/07 01:54 PM)

#453983 - 12/10/07 02:00 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: KYBOY]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

why your next the sheffield? Just trying it out or??

#453998 - 12/10/07 02:05 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Alaskan]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Personally I like a big wide heavy knife because I do a lot of beaver. That and the Sheffield is capable of taking and holding a razor edge. I like a sharp knife when fleshing beaver. The Zeph and Caribou will both take a great edge but their not quite wide and heavy enough to suit me. The MB cutting edge is a nice knife. I got a good friend who puts up a lot of beaver with one. I like knives. I try out every different one I can get my hands on. The necker 700 I have is a good knife. I like it, but I think the sheffield take a better edge than it does.

#454020 - 12/10/07 02:22 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: KYBOY]
wildcatman Offline
trapper

Loc: Oklahoma
I just asked you the knife features that you like in another post, and then came back and saw this response. that explains it. thanks.

#454239 - 12/10/07 04:00 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: wildcatman]
Mike Stewart Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Washington,Ohio
I have the necker, mb cutting edge and the post. I like all three but the post stands out. I also use the post round nose skinner for clean skinning beaver. Last year I tried Clint Locklear's grizzle getter for beaver and believe that is what I will be using from now on. Works slicker than snot on beaver.

Mike

#454407 - 12/10/07 05:36 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Mike Stewart]
Broom Chaser Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
If money is no object get a 12" sheffield and a 700 necker if you can find one. Either one can do the complete job but each has a job it does better.

#454419 - 12/10/07 05:40 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Broom Chaser]
Broom Chaser Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
Forgot to mention to round off the corners of the convex side of the sheffield or you will lose blood and the location will take some time to heal if you continue to trap and put up fur.

#454438 - 12/10/07 05:46 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Broom Chaser]
NS Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Zeph - both flat and curved fleshers - are my number 1 choice.

-- Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

#454463 - 12/10/07 05:53 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: NS Trapper]
beez Offline
trapper

Loc: hugo,oklahoma
i sure do like a sheffield,stays sharp a long time

#454473 - 12/10/07 05:58 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: beez]
CedarRivrTrappr Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Ansgar, Iowa
I love my Sheffield. Works like a charm 10x's better than my Caribou. Broom chaser is right, your hand does get poked with the blade, I just wrapped duct tape around the corners.

#454476 - 12/10/07 05:59 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: beez]
Bill Kipper Offline
trapper

Loc: Highlandville, Mo.
The Locklear Grizzle Getter is tops for beaver and tough coons.Best piece of trapping equipment I ever bought.

#454484 - 12/10/07 06:01 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Bill Kipper]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Any got a pic of the Locklear Grizzle getter?

#454597 - 12/10/07 06:54 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Alaskan]
Mike Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: Beaver Bayou MN
Think Ulu, made completly out of steel.

Bigger and Better Pans for your Mink, Muskrat and Cat Traps!

#454613 - 12/10/07 06:59 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Mike Kelly]
Creek Offline
trapper

Loc: sw Kansas
I like the Sheffield for the sharpness, But I love a good old draw knife when I get down to the easy scraping stuff.

#454620 - 12/10/07 07:04 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Creek]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

This is going to be sad....but I didn't know that the fleshing knives needed to be sharp. The one I got from MTP has an edge...but like a butter knife. Got the Sheffield coming.... Gonna have to get use to a "sharp" fleshing knife.

How do you guys sharpen them after they dull. file? wheel?

#454640 - 12/10/07 07:12 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Alaskan]
lobo Offline
trapper

Loc: Illinois
I have a Sheffield that I like a lot, but it's not the heaviest knife I own. I have a heavier knife that is sharp that I like better for beaver. No effort at all.

#454657 - 12/10/07 07:19 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: Alaskan]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

No wheel. Theres different methods but be very careful with a method that takes a lot of metal like a file(only use a mil bassterd file if then) You can use stones as well. A good steel will touch up a pretty dull knife. Also only sharpen a fleshing knife in one direction on one side.

#454676 - 12/10/07 07:24 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: KYBOY]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

sounds like a pain in the butt to sharpen...Hmmm...

#454677 - 12/10/07 07:24 PM Re: Fleshing Knives: If you had to choose one... [Re: KYBOY]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

maybe this will help. The steel will realign the edge when it dulls for a long time. You actually dont have to put a new edge on one very often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie