ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pigeon prices up this year? #4536280
06/26/14 10:40 PM
06/26/14 10:40 PM
NV, USA
N
NV man Offline OP
trapper
NV man  Offline OP
trapper
N

NV, USA
I would like to know if $5 a bird is to low of a selling price this year? Some local dog trainers have offered $2 and claim that none get away...... Anyhow, I think I might band a few pigeons (because I don't want to make too much money off of the same birds). And it would be good capture recapture data experience. Thoughts?

"Our nation's health is dependent on local industry and commerce."
Re: Pigeon prices up this year? [Re: NV man] #4537061
06/27/14 05:17 PM
06/27/14 05:17 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
NV, You nailed my start in this business. Our local city had a real problem with pigeons and ( since it was a challenge ) I caught over a thousand in a couple of years.

Since our area had some really well-known dog trainers, I pretty much doubled my pay, and I was hooked on this business forever.

P.S. Since I've also raised English Setters, I can tell you that your experience with pigeons will lead to hardly any recaptures.

However, my recaptures on opossums is astounding. ( The next opossum that I kill will be the first )

Re: Pigeon prices up this year? [Re: NV man] #4537559
06/28/14 01:17 AM
06/28/14 01:17 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Keeping and training bird dogs is expensive. Bird dog guys want to pay as little as possible.

Here outside of Columbus, Ohio, this year, I can't keep cheap pigeons in stock at $6.00 a bird. I have people waiting for more to come in.

The buyers would be happier with cheaper birds, but they have to have them, so price them accordingly.

Keith

Re: Pigeon prices up this year? [Re: NV man] #4539221
06/29/14 04:10 PM
06/29/14 04:10 PM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming
I wouldn't pay $5 for barn pigeons! But maybe that's just me. Homer pigeons were only costing me $5 when I was buying them. I could take these 100 miles away and they would come home.

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread