ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk tales 2014 #4537414
06/27/14 10:21 PM
06/27/14 10:21 PM
SW Michigan
M
MuskratJoe Offline OP
trapper
MuskratJoe  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Michigan
A few days ago I got a call from the President of an upscale condominium complex home owners association. She explained to me that a skunk had been killed on the road in front of their complex and now they had 3 baby skunks wondering their grounds, and she was in a panic to have them removed. I was able to make the service call that evening. I met the President and she showed me where she had last seen the little kits going behind the parking area.

I quickly found them making their way along a small rocky path in full view of about 10 units above me, and noticed a small crowd now gathering on their balconies watching me. Now I thought, “I better not screw this up”. For some reason, I thought I might look more impressive if I casually sat down and filled out the service agreement. So I did, and while looking at my folder the crew of skunks decided to come check me out. Before, I knew it they were right on top of me and one had just crawled over my leg. Well… crud... I sat frozen for a moment and then slowly grabbed my hand net (the kind fly fishermen use) and simultaneously tilted my bucket over… and wouldn’t you know 2 kits basically walked into my 5 gallon bucket with very little coaxing. I lifted the bucket and then stood up, still shaking like a dog trying to poop a peach seed.

Enter the applause… I look up to see all of the residents standing on their balconies clapping for me. I felt a strange mixture of excitement and stupidity. After a failed search for the 3rd kit, I set a couple traps and hurried home as my in-laws were visiting from Florida.

Over a late dinner I told the tale to my visiting in-laws. (Mother/Father in-law and Sister In-law, her husband and two kids.) My father in-law declares up that I must be “Crocodile Dundee”. Everyone laughed and the title stuck for the evening.

The next morning we decided to take the in-laws into town for lunch, so we loaded the crew into our van and “Croc Dundee” drove. Along the way we passed this same complex to I decided to swing in and check my trap… in a shameful attempt to impress the relatives. Whep… sure enough I had kit #3. Apparently, I was so drunk on my own arrogance I decided I was going to just pick up the trap and take it with me. Did I mention this was a 5x5, swing door, Comstock, with no cover?

As I approach my van all eyes were on me, and this time the in-laws were there to see my awesome display of manliness. Ten feet from the van, I see a lady walking a small dog (a Chihuahua) quickly approaching me and at this point the dog starts barking. This is bad… She was approaching from my left and I was carrying the trap in my left hand. In a stroke of brilliance, I decide to switch the trap to my right hand to gain some separation between Pepe Jr. and Mr. Chihuahua. As I look down Pepe Jr. is in the ready position. I barely get out the words, “Ma’am please…” …dog lunges… and Pepe Jr. gives a full load to my right leg. Did I mention I was wearing shorts? … now I finish… “Ma’am, please stay back I am carrying a skunk”. She says, “Sorry about my… WOW… that little thing really stinks”… I reply, “Yes, Ma’am it sure does.”

I put the little guy in my plastic tote, and told my in-laws I would have to drop them off for lunch and come back to get them all. It was quite humbling listing to all the gaging, talk of puking, and the stink eye from my wife, as I drove the road of shame to the restaurant. As we approached the restaurant, my father-in-law says…”I don’t think you are, Croc Dundee”… you are… “Skunk Dundee”. I am afraid this new title might stick.

Ahhh… a day in the life.

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4537455
06/27/14 10:56 PM
06/27/14 10:56 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Good story Dundee, I mean stinky, I mean... Gotta love it! Nothing like a little "essence" to start the day.

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4537500
06/27/14 11:28 PM
06/27/14 11:28 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
An award winning story Joe. It feels good to know that there is someone just like me, one state over.

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4537562
06/28/14 01:28 AM
06/28/14 01:28 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
That was an awesome story Joe! Great delivery right to the end! (the tail end... lol!)

Last year had a litter downtown and though the employees were terrified to get near
it one guy walked up and loudly started talking to me just as I was trying to pickup the
second to last skunk... Gave him the look of death with no words and it seemed to have
the right effect! smile

Amazing how insanely blind skunks are, I have pics of that litter walking right over my
shoes at that age and only getting punchy when they realized the shoe was attached to
something larger!

That litter was rehabbed (legal at the time) and throughout had so many instances to
watch them look for food, grubs, eggs, etc... would wander past an obvious item to
our eyes and then back up and finally key in on it... Skunks are definitely one of the
coolest species out there, chemical warfare and all!

Again, great story!!! Love it!

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4537837
06/28/14 10:13 AM
06/28/14 10:13 AM
Trumbull county, Ohio
C
coonwacka Offline
trapper
coonwacka  Offline
trapper
C

Trumbull county, Ohio
LOL! Good job Joe!!

Dave @ All Catch LLC. CNWACO
Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4537866
06/28/14 11:01 AM
06/28/14 11:01 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
LOL...great story.

Deciding to show off a little puts you in the danger zone.

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4537952
06/28/14 12:56 PM
06/28/14 12:56 PM
Tennessee
M
mchitwood Offline
trapper
mchitwood  Offline
trapper
M

Tennessee
In case it happens again: My helper got sprayed about 5 times by babies last month and now swears that hand sanitizer will completely remove the odor from bare skin.

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4538024
06/28/14 02:39 PM
06/28/14 02:39 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Yeah, the little stinkers seem absolutely fearless...walk right up to you like you're Mama.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4538171
06/28/14 05:27 PM
06/28/14 05:27 PM
SW Michigan
M
MuskratJoe Offline OP
trapper
MuskratJoe  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Michigan
Glad you all enjoyed it. If there is one thing I am good at it is making a fool of myself... Just ask my wife. Yup, they sure followed me like we were related.. Maybe it is my personality they were attracted to.

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4539228
06/29/14 04:15 PM
06/29/14 04:15 PM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming
Very nice story

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4541069
06/30/14 10:55 PM
06/30/14 10:55 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
read the story to my wife and she asked what is the funny part......i told her that one can really laugh at that when i have been there

Re: Skunk tales 2014 [Re: MuskratJoe] #4541609
07/01/14 02:13 PM
07/01/14 02:13 PM
South Alabama
North40R Offline
trapper
North40R  Offline
trapper

South Alabama
Good story Joe!

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience! Emerson
Previous Thread