ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Rural ADC #4536295
06/26/14 10:47 PM
06/26/14 10:47 PM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
Warrior and I have talked about this and in my area there isn't any way to make a living doing ADC work. It is a nice little supplement income and it allows me to trap year round but work is sporadic and the prices won't come anywhere near what you guys in the cities can charge.

Any business tips from the pros that could help out part time rural ADC trappers?

Last edited by North40R; 06/26/14 10:48 PM.

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience! Emerson
Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4536346
06/26/14 11:19 PM
06/26/14 11:19 PM
Southern Michigan
Cooner22 Offline
trapper
Cooner22  Offline
trapper

Southern Michigan
I ain't no business pro, but I took a college level business class this year. The professor didn't talk much about rural ADC trappers, but he did a couple sessions on how to choose your customers, and when to say no to potential customers. Basically, I'd watch out for jobs that could take up too much time or turn in to some sort of fiasco.

"Not everything on the internet can be believed."
-Abraham Lincoln
Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4536507
06/27/14 07:11 AM
06/27/14 07:11 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Originally Posted By: North40R
...in my area there isn't any way to make a living doing ADC work.

You could...

1) Travel. Be ready to drive to where the work is.

2) Move. Pack up and move to where the work is.

3) Relax. Be happy with an enjoyable part-time business.

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4536515
06/27/14 07:20 AM
06/27/14 07:20 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
The first thing to realize is that you are a business owner. There is no such things as part time or full time as these are technician hours. As the owner, your success will depend on how much time you invest into your business. Put on paper what you need to be happy with your business then make it happen. This could be a goal of doing one raccoon job a week, a bat job every month, or a monetary amount. Keep reviewing your goals and don't be afraid to change them as necessary. Just make sure they are realistic in nature.

If your goals show you are not getting enough work you need to look at the services you offer and either add more to them, offer fewer that have a higher return,or offer something totally different like a product.

Once you've decided on this services or products then look at your marketing campaign and service area. You may need to open up your service area (this is what I did with bat work by covering the entire state of Ohio) or move to a location where it is easier to meet your goals.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4536595
06/27/14 08:52 AM
06/27/14 08:52 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Eric has stated things very well in what options you have to make it profitable and to build and grow your business.

Our company is a very good example of the conditions of what you speak about. I live in a rural commumity and would starve so to speak if I wasnt willing to expand my service area and travel. I found out many years ago that I needed to travel to make it really work. I am an hour drive from any city and 35 mins to any sizable town.

Eric and others who know our business history know how much we travel in our business. We work locally and also take work in several states around us and states quite a distance away at times if the project is worth the travel. I understand there are those that this might not work for them due to family or spousal obligations. But I can tell you it works well for us. Having the right team members to travel makes it all possible. It is not without its challenges but it can work if you want it too and have a supportive family or significant other to deal with.

I worked alone in the early years as most all have done in the past to grow your business and to learn your trade. But once you mature and find your way you will find you need help to get things done in a timely fashion. This will enable you to move on and handle other work that comes in. That is the nature of an evolving growing business.

Keep positive regarding your goals and dont be discouraged if all doesnt work out just exactly as you had planned. We all have adjustments to make in growing a business. Just adapt and move on in a manner that suits your abilities and motivational speed.

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4537241
06/27/14 08:18 PM
06/27/14 08:18 PM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
Thanks for the replies!

SGS the only thing you listed that isn't an option is pack up and move. My (real) job is working in a chemical plant and it is way too good to walk away from for now. Maybe ever! I'm just getting my feet wet and learning the business but my ultimate goal would be for my business(s) to become my real job and I would be able to walk away. I'm already traveling wherever the work is whenever it's an option even when that means 12 hour days or nights at the plant then 4 to 6 more hours on my business. Can you see that the relaxing part just isn't happening? Lol! I'm definitely happy with being able to trap as a second income.

WCT and Mr. Bob thanks for the info. I do have goals set that I'm working toward it just seems to take forever. I understand not looking at it as part time work and for my own mindset toward my business I won't refer to it as part time again. I'm working on facilities to house my business(s) and have to work around my other job but I'm determined and have a great family that helps every day.

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4538231
06/28/14 06:54 PM
06/28/14 06:54 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I can certainly understand not moving and frankly, I don't like driving. I decided to relax and enjoy what I have.

Now that I left my "day job" so to speak, I have extended my service area a little but not much. I really don't want to work full time anymore. wink

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4538313
06/28/14 07:59 PM
06/28/14 07:59 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I've been fully retired for 5 years now. ( I'll be 72 in December ) I just got a new vehicle about ten days ago. ( Perhaps you'll be reading about it in WCT )

I've got almost 2 grand on the odometer already. ( And sqs, I ain't crazy about driving either ) I'm still having fun filling in for guys on vacation.

I love what I'm doing and maybe it's infectious. My customers seem to love me doing it!

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4538347
06/28/14 08:33 PM
06/28/14 08:33 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Yes the customers love to see the senior citizens out for their recreation and exercise routines, good for them they think, but dont say it verbally so as not to hurt your feelings. smile

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4538608
06/29/14 04:42 AM
06/29/14 04:42 AM
Arkansas
A
AR Swampboss Offline
trapper
AR Swampboss  Offline
trapper
A

Arkansas
OP , there should be an endless supply of beavers in your state reeking havoc on timber tracts and private lakes ??
Wild pigs should present some opportunities

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4538738
06/29/14 09:35 AM
06/29/14 09:35 AM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
Swampboss we have a plentiful supply of both beaver and pigs. I've stayed busy trapping beaver so far and hopefully things will pick up once the deer hunters start hitting the woods.

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4540336
06/30/14 12:52 PM
06/30/14 12:52 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Are there add on services you could do. Cleaning, repairs, gutter cleaning,insulation, etc?

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4540394
06/30/14 01:44 PM
06/30/14 01:44 PM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
Throw back that's what I working on except gunsmithing and reel repairs.

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4540644
06/30/14 06:01 PM
06/30/14 06:01 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
North, as we discussed I know your area well. If there was enough work in your area I'd be your chief competitor. Seriously, my ultimate goal is to retire just the other side of the river from you.
Outside of timber contracts like Dobbins has your in a pretty hard scrabble place to make a go of it. The one area I do see in your favor is the median age demographic in southwest Alabama, namely retirees and older. If you're willing to do more than basic wildlife the older set has a long honey do list that age prevents them from doing.
I have several other ideas I'll post after I get off the road.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4540959
06/30/14 09:45 PM
06/30/14 09:45 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Okay, here's a few that I've tossed around myself.

Catering to the hunt club set.
Equipment and agricultural services. This would be for green fields and the like. Could range from just being the local guy with a tractor to full on services of soil management and planting of year round crops. Along those lines a bush hog and flail mower get you into habitat management for ground nesting species like quail and turkey. Specialty tractors like one of the italian two wheel or one of the sub compact reversibles could get you into areas big equipment can't and might be a niche. I'm seriously considering purchasing a Grillo 107D, Grillo 107: http://youtu.be/zJV-LuNEAko, garden tiller that takes PTO powered implements for the garden but also for yard and lot clean up for habitat management.

If you can make contact with hunting clubs they all have critters but the rednecks will burn the place to the ground before paying BUT most of them Bubbas will crap themselves over a snake and you got velvet tails, saddlebacks and ground rattlers plus moccasins. Let Bubba know your crazy enough to go looking for snakes you got your in for the critters. Take it a step further with maybe a maintenance program to look in on the place during the summer.

Who knows it might work. If it does let me know and I'll pack the truck.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4541596
07/01/14 02:03 PM
07/01/14 02:03 PM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
I'm working on some stuff with hunting clubs now but just like you said they'll fight tooth and nail to avoid paying for a trapper. I'm just as scared of the snakes as the next guy is down here so I'll leave those calls for you when you come to visit. Lol!

I looked into a boom mower to clear roads with but after talking to another guy here that owns one I think I'll pass. He can't get work for it.

Pack the truck anytime bud. You already know the ropes down here and the poor house always has extra rooms!

Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4541650
07/01/14 03:23 PM
07/01/14 03:23 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I kind of figured not enough work to justify the equipment. I was thinking maybe a one stop shop for those who may be interested in turning over all aspects of wildlife plantings. The one weakness I see in managing food plots is summer plantings. Especially for out of area lease holders.
Most deer clubs I see make do with what they got and are happy just to get in fall plots for hunting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4542265
07/01/14 10:54 PM
07/01/14 10:54 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
You should have a good number of bats in the area considering the rivers and swamps. Mostly lecontes free tails I would assume. The problem for folks like us is lack of structures to exclude, both in numbers and willing paying customers. Fortunately though the stock of structures available should mostly be prime bat habitat due to age and condition. The opportunity is there but you will need to cast a wide net if you want bats. If it were me in your location I would look to getting licensed across the line in Mississippi and market myself from Biloxi to Hattiesburg east to Demopolis to Montgomery and back down 65 to Baldwin and Mobile counties.
I know that is a huge swath to cover but you don't have to take every call and you can spot target your marketing to just selected species. Ideally the one and dones and/or the more lucrative. More importantly would be networking these areas. The contacts you make will help cover the outer areas of the areas you will go.
Just thought of something, have you hit the sale barn in Uniontown to see if some of the cattle producers need predator work or the catfish ponds up around Greensboro and in Dallas and Perry county?
Another contact should be the public housing areas in Selma. It ain't great work but it is work.

Dang the more I talk this up the more of a challenge it seems. I like opening new areas and you just might see me knocking on doors in Chatom if I don't hush.

One area that will do you well is live honeybee removal. Look into it and I bet you would be the only game in town.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rural ADC [Re: North40R] #4542484
07/02/14 07:00 AM
07/02/14 07:00 AM
South Alabama
North40R Offline OP
trapper
North40R  Offline OP
trapper

South Alabama
Dang Warrior! Slow down. LOl!

I can't cover that much ground right now but it's definitely something to think about. One of the guys that has helped me the past couple years used to do a lot of predator control work around catfish ponds in Livingston. I think I'm going to stick with predator control and beaver trapping for now and try to work within 2 hours of home. I've never fooled with bats or bees.

I know that I'll have to learn to handle them all one day but I'm keeping it simple for now. I'm still trying to figure out how much insurance I'm going to need and if there's even enough market for an ADC job to pay.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread